Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 3M Gloss Deep Space Color Flip Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do these wraps offer protection too? If so, this seems like a no brainer to just opt for the black paint and pay for something like this and get any color imagineable. Wish I would have known about something like this, given what PPF costs - the paint upgrade and PPF would have evened out for a cool wrap like this!

Do these wraps offer protection too? If so, this seems like a no brainer to just opt for the black paint and pay for something like this and get any color imagineable. Wish I would have known about something like this, given what PPF costs - the paint upgrade and PPF would have evened out for a cool wrap like this!

Yes of course, I have been told though after 3-4 years you might want to remove. It is similar material to the "Expel" clear protection.

Not a fan of the color but different strokes for different folks.. looks like a thorough job!

To be honest I kinda always wanted to try it. It attracts a lot of attention which I really don't care about. Funny, I have had 4 Tesla X some were really nice with wheels and I have had 7 x S some with wraps and sweet wheels. I have literally had no one ask about it or loving on it. I have driven this car 2 days and I have had at least 6 different people ask me about it and the car. I am sure it wont last long as I will want to try the Performance model

They cost allot more than just upgrading the paint.

To be honest I kinda always wanted to try it. It attracts a lot of attention which I really don't care about. Funny, I have had 4 Tesla X some were really nice with wheels and I have had 7 x S some with wraps and sweet wheels. I have literally had no one ask about it or loving on it. I have driven this car 2 days and I have had at least 6 different people ask me about it and the car. I am sure it wont last long as I will want to try the Performance model

Your 12th car in the last 5-6 years??? :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
They cost allot more than just upgrading the paint.
Not that much more than Pearl White/Multicoat Red. You can start in the low $2000's compared to $1500 (obviously less if you do it yourself but it's a high skill task so if you don't have the skill you're likely to eat all those savings in spoiled material ;) ). A colour shifting like this "flip" wrap, or something even more out there like brushed metal look, costs more because all the pieces have to be aligned in the same direction or it looks really bad.

The good thing about having a car black, with a black interior, is that you don't need to have the door jams wrapped. Something other than Black (Solid or Obsidian) and it's going to be kinda jarring and harder to hide the little bits peeking out. It's more expensive to have the wrap cover jams.

About them being a substitute for PPF. The colour wraps aren't as thick, and the material isn't as springy/spongy as say an Xpel PPF. They also don't last as long in the sun as an Xpel PPF wrap, and aren't self-annealing (like a putty in the sun, small amounts of damage will disappear as the film reforms to original shape) . So while providing some protection they aren't as good in that role as the dedicated PPF films (but probably better than just a ceramic coat).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Not that much more than Pearl White/Multicoat Red. You can start in the low $2000's compared to $1500 (obviously less if you do it yourself but it's a high skill task so if you don't have the skill you're likely to eat all those savings in spoiled material ;) ). A colour shifting like this "flip" wrap, or something even more out there like brushed metal look, costs more because all the pieces have to be aligned in the same direction or it looks really bad.

The good thing about having a car black, with a black interior, is that you don't need to have the door jams wrapped. Something other than Black (Solid or Obsidian) and it's going to be kinda jarring and harder to hide the little bits peeking out. It's more expensive to have the wrap cover jams.

About them being a substitute for PPF. The colour wraps aren't as thick, and the material isn't as springy/spongy as say an Xpel PPF. They also don't last as long in the sun as an Xpel PPF wrap, and aren't self-annealing (like a putty in the sun, small amounts of damage will disappear as the film reforms to original shape) . So while providing some protection they aren't as good in that role as the dedicated PPF films (but probably better than just a ceramic coat).

Not sure where you can find anything like this in San Diego for under 3k, might be cheaper in texas though. Tesla paint upgrades are the same cost everywhere. I have never had a wrap, I think they look great but I wonder if it will last as long as just paint + ceramic + maybe PPF on the front bumper. Or do you have to peel and replace after 5 years? Or peel and stick with black I guess? After 5 years of owning a car the newness usually starts to fade for me anyways and you worry less about protection. At least after the first 150k miles or so.

Or do you have to peel and replace after 5 years?
Depends on miles for the front bumper, because again not self-annealing and not as thick, but I'm not counting on much past 3 years in this sun (they can go several years if you garage a lot or are in cooler climates). Count on XPEL PPF to be about double lifetime, but the ceramic coats don't last that long though?

My understanding is you can get $2K-ish wraps in CA if you make it part of a mini-vacation road trip to certain parts of the state (3 days is typical for a colour wrap).

Reactions: Glamisduner
Depends on miles for the front bumper, because again not self-annealing and not as thick, but I'm not counting on much past 3 years in this sun (they can go several years if you garage or are in cooler climates). Count on XPEL PPF to be about double lifetime, but the ceramic coats don't last that long though?

My understanding is you can get $2K-ish wraps in CA if you make it part of a mini-vacation road trip to certain parts of the state (3 days is typical for a colour wrap).
Yea I don't get vacation so the days I do take off will be for more fun travel. ceramic coat is basically just fancy wax imo. Protects from sun and bird poo etc, but that's about it. But it's also like $80 or $100 for DIY, so not really much of an expense.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
ceramic coat is basically just fancy wax imo. Protects from sun and bird poo etc, but that's about it. But it's also like $80 or $100 for DIY, so not really much of an expense.

It's effectively "wax" that wears off in a few years rather than in couple months. It also has some extended options for more gloss, and it's much easier to wash. Because how water beads on it it doesn't get as dirty to start with and when you wash the water very quickly runs away.

It is easier DIY. The tricky part to it is you want to make sure your paint job is in good condition and very clean, as it'll tend to seal in place anything there when you apply (and anywhere it doesn't means it's not protecting that area very well).

Last edited:
It's effectively "wax" that wears off in a few years rather than in couple months. It also has some extended options for more gloss, and it's much easier to wash. Because how water beads on it it doesn't get as dirty to start with and when you wash the water very quickly runs away.

It is easier DIY. The tricky part to that if you want to make sure your paint job is in good condition and very clean, as it'll tend to seal in place anything there when you apply (and anywhere it doesn't means it's not protecting that area very well).

I wonder if they make this type of protection for the wraps? I mean they are supposed to be "self healing" but I am not sure how much that works.

I wonder if they make this type of protection for the wraps? I mean they are supposed to be "self healing" but I am not sure how much that works.
Each film company sells finishing/maintenance products for their own product line. I don't know if 3rd party ceramic coating of colour wraps is a thing?

EDIT: People do ceramic coat Xpel PPF wraps. To what benefit I'm not sure, if it is because they are coating the rest of the vehicle anyway (most people only put the PPF on high risk parts, like the bumper, hood, and mirrors as a full Xpel wrap will run you $5000+) so it makes it a more even appearance to coat the PPF, too? You shouldn't put on the ceramic before the Xpel, as it's properties make it harder to have the PPF stick on properly.

Last edited:
Guys what do you think of my S wheel caps silver on the grey wheels? I didn't want all grey because it looks too boring (wheels getting repaired tomorrow).

Attachments

• 1D96D30B-41BA-48CB-8084-CB37E6FC3731.jpeg
    1D96D30B-41BA-48CB-8084-CB37E6FC3731.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 153
I like the silver cap as a little detail in the center. Not sure about the nut covers, they might be a little much and distracting.

The curb rash might be a great opportunity to powder coat those wheels to match up with whatever your chrome delete is going to be (satin or matte?)