Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Nearly Tangles With Semi (Dashcam video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
April 2019. I94 in Detroit. The semi in front of me assumes I'm waiting for him to merge. The orange car in the left lane begins to slow but then passes me. At 0:40 you can see how close the semi came to hitting me. Tesla has three cameras in their Dashcam feature. I used all three here to capture the drama.

But why did I not get an audible chime when the truck came so close to me in my blind spot. The image at the end of the clip shows the settings were on for that.

As others said, blind spot monitoring is not applicable here.

Did you have AP on or not? According to the manual, regardless of whether you have it on or not, and even if you did not buy the feature, it is supposed to try to avoid being hit in this scenario (it will move within the lane to avoid a collision). It is called Lane Assist on page 84, but it has very limited capabilities, and may not have worked here at all due to the high truck not triggering proximity sensors and other positioning details.

From the manual: “Steering interventions are minimal and are not designed to move Model 3 out of its driving lane. Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions.”

Did you sense any steering intervention?

As far as single solid white lines go in CA (not relevant here):
This is actually a tricky point and apparently 90% of the time it is illegal to cross them, yet it is not mentioned in the driver’s manual. It is an ambiguous point in the law so in some cases you could plead your case and get off. Apparently.

Last edited:
I find these threads very enlightening. All I see here is a terrible Tesla driver that showed no awareness to the other vehicles or his surroundings. What I find most interesting is how many people think this is ok and defend driving like an idiot. My favorite part is how the concern is that the car didn't beep.