Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes 8 times more profit than Toyota yet can't include ventilated seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know an employee at an OEM car manufacturer that found a way to save something like 4 or 5 bucks per car/truck by outsourcing front license plate assembly to I want to say goodwill industries. Employing the less than employable. Disabled etc... Had to fight with unions. But at the end saving that amount and the thought to do it got him a big hug from his company. Think Mary Barra in leather chaps. Leading from behind.

Saving a few bucks on assembly is nothing compared to elimination of a item. Simplify order process reduce items. Moves margins quite a bit. Hard to think that unless one starts to multiply.... OEMs make more cars then Tesla. Those 4 or 5 bucks means more to them now. For Tesla operation in a world of simplification is how they win now. Tesla will gladly simplify to push product while they can. Go to trench warfare on widgets and other stuff as they become more mature.

What else can I say. If you have swamp butt @schen72 Never had.. might need those seats and maybe a doctor to look at the sweat glands. I would go with Tesla and ventilated pants. Toyota is probably the worst company that disagrees with Tesla's long term vision. Used to be Volkswagen.
Munro Live has a video where they discuss removing the ultrasonic sensors and the cost savings effected. When dealing with manufacturing at scale even small savings add up and the amounts are certainly not inconsequential, but that’s kind of the point of this thread. Tesla skimps on things but it appears they just keep the profits instead of passing them back to the consumers.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Munro Live has a video where they discuss removing the ultrasonic sensors and the cost savings effected. When dealing with manufacturing at scale even small savings add up and the amounts are certainly not inconsequential, but that’s kind of the point of this thread. Tesla skimps on things but it appears they just keep the profits instead of passing them back to the consumers.
They have to now. This isn't give the money to the little sister's of the poor. Did one really expect a publicly traded company to each line item that they save in a car to say hey, we're reducing the car by x price? Does Kellogg's say that the price of grain went down in the last quarter in a press release and say we're lowering the price of Wheaties?

The point of my post. The volume forces such changes or simplification. One can debate further if the replacement is of quality or not. Future different. Much more like current large scale OEM.

Be competitive where you can. Try not to look like a fool where you can't. Get the profits while others are figuring out business model. Isn't this how one is supposed to try to run a profitable endeavor? OEM's in past were lost in employment and other issues. Forgot about common sense business principles.

Last edited:
They have to now. This isn't give the money to the little sister's of the poor. Did one really expect a publicly traded company to each line item that they save in a car to say hey, we're reducing the car by x price? Does Kellogg's say that the price of grain went down in the last quarter in a press release and say we're lowering the price of Wheaties?

The point of my post. The volume forces such changes or simplification. One can debate further if the replacement is of quality or not. Future different. Much more like current large scale OEM.

Be competitive where you can. Try not to look like a fool where you can't. Get the profits while others are figuring out business model. Isn't this how one is supposed to try to run a profitable endeavor? OEM's in past were lost in employment and other issues. Forgot about common sense business principles.
No, volume amplifies the benefits of simplification but does not force changes or simplification.

No one is saying Tesla should give away its products. They simply do what any good consumer does and look at the overall value. When Tesla is more expensive and lacks features common in other comparable and cheaper cars that lessens the value. If Tesla was losing money on every car then the reason is clear. When they are making more per unit than other companies in the sector it's very reasonable to ask why we're being charged more for less.

There's quite a list of things people would like to have but in the end, as previously stated, competition will be the primary factor driving addition of these features. When demand drops they'll have plenty of tools in the box to add value and reduce another's competitive edge. Sooner would be nice! :cool:

Reactions: outdoors
There's quite a list of things people would like to have but in the end, as previously stated, competition will be the primary factor driving addition of these features. When demand drops they'll have plenty of tools in the box to add value and reduce another's competitive edge. Sooner would be nice! :cool:
Definitely, bring in the competitions. We, as the consumer, will win at the end of it all.

Reactions: sleepydoc
No, volume amplifies the benefits of simplification but does not force changes or simplification.

No one is saying Tesla should give away its products. They simply do what any good consumer does and look at the overall value. When Tesla is more expensive and lacks features common in other comparable and cheaper cars that lessens the value. If Tesla was losing money on every car then the reason is clear. When they are making more per unit than other companies in the sector it's very reasonable to ask why we're being charged more for less.

First Tesla is not a consumer. We are the consumer. Yes any consumer should look at the value of any purchase they are about to make.

Sure it's a great question to ask. Why are you being charged more for less? Tesla is a for profit company. Its job is to maximise value for shareholder and its core mission which has been listed on TMC multiple times.

As mentioned before Tesla does not have to operate like other companies. Tesla is its own company. It can really do whatever it wants. Like make a tricycle if it wants to. Consumers have the right to not make a purchase or even be upset. Seats, door handles etc, lumbar.

In fact my Tesla Model 3 was supposed to go to someone that was disappointed that Tesla didn't offer white seating in the early days of the 3. Perfect example of consumer saying I want this you don't have it. I am looking at something else. Go ahead if that makes one so upset. Well I got the car, even quoted the post from TMC and said. I hear people don't like that. It doesn't bother me I will take the car.

Then they took away the Alcantara the price didn't go down
Took away cool looking roof that changed color when it rained. No memo from Elon saying we saved $82 bucks on the glass. Price is going down.

So yes we all want more for less. When more for less comes around. That's not fair. I don't want to play anymore. Welcome to for profit companies that are trying to be profitable in a world where consumers minds can change at the moment. Companies make profits today, because they can't wait for tomorrow. Many auto companies forgot that over the last 50 or 60 years.

Last edited:
When they are making more per unit than other companies in the sector it's very reasonable to ask why we're being charged more for less.

The price of goods is based on what the market will bear. It's supply and demand. The production cost is irrelevant to the selling price.

Rivian lost $5B so far this year selling 7000 vehicles. Should they have charged an extra $650,000 per vehicle?