Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Megacharger Location thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the ROI works out, this could mean the end of tuck stops as we know them, and independent trucking too. Independent truckers could be reluctant to invest in Tesla semis, and might have trouble charging if they do. Big truck stop chains might invest in megachargers themselves, but truck stops don't have all that warehouse roof area to cover with solar panels. So they'd be more dependent on the grid. Meanwhile the market for traditional services would be shrinking, which would hurt their ability to invest in utility-scale solar for themselves.

Of course that's all highly speculative, and could take years to play out — if it happens at all.

There’s more to truck stops than just a place to fuel. Drivers are bound by the federal hours of service regulations. They have 11 hours of driving time which needs to be used within a 14 hour window after coming on duty. A 10 hour break is required to reset that clock as well as a 70hr limit in an 8 day period that can be reset with 36 hours consecutive off duty time.

Lots of drivers utilize trucks stops for showers, laundry, meals, leisure etc. some have massage therapists, gyms, spas, etc.

As for the independent drivers yes those who refuse to adapt will be driven out -no pun intended- by running costs. Many however run under lease to large carriers. Point being the large trucking companies will not completely remove independent drivers.

The only thing that would completely change the industry would be 100% driverless transport trucks. Although in my mind I have a vision of senior drivers sitting in cubicles connecting remotely to fleets of driverless trucks correcting errors which the software cannot figure out on its own. Pipe dream perhaps.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Yes, I agree. The first installations will probably be at Fremont and Gigafactory, plus Truckee. How about somewhere around: 10117-10121 Church St, Truckee, CA 96161
Industrial location, nearby substation, between Fremont and Gigafactory
I finally got around to reading the Quarterly Report. (http://ir.tesla.com/common/download...B919F&filename=TSLA_Update_Letter_2017-4Q.pdf) In it, they note "...Tesla will be the first Semi customer. We plan to use the Tesla Semi for our own logistics by transporting Model 3 components from Gigafactory 1 to Fremont...

Just to clarify, the charger extension cord I saw had inputs for two superchargers.

So, if a supercharger has a max output of 120kw, two of them pumping at 240kw doesn't seem like you would get all that much in 30 min? At some point don't they have to go to an 800v system to get the charging speed?
I realize what I saw was just a prototype, so anything could change I guess.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, the charger extension cord I saw had inputs for two superchargers.

So, if a supercharger has a max output of 120kw, two of them pumping at 240kw doesn't seem like you would get all that much in 30 min? At some point don't they have to go to an 800v system to get the charging speed?
I realize what I saw was just a prototype, so anything could change I guess.
The connector photographed at the reveal event showed 8 pins, so I speculate that there are 4 independent parallel drivetrains. Since each drive motor has its own battery pack, it should be possible to charge from 4 Supercharger cabinets, not just 2, so it should be 480kW max input power. Therefore, the truck should charge at nearly the same speed as a S/X 100D.

Presumably got to plug into only "A" stalls ... and NOT get paired by another Semi :eek:
My assumption is that such a Megacharger installation would not have paired stalls at all in order to have the fastest possible and most predictable charging. One cabinet dedicated to charging one pack. Of course, that is a much more capital intensive installation because the cabinet is not fully utilized after the pack is half full. Oh, and by "speed" I mean the same charging time for the same starting and ending SOC percentages.

Megachargers at Gigafactory Nevada?

Attachments

• 61A2C149-9EC0-4EAB-A30E-7B7D37D66DCE.jpeg
    61A2C149-9EC0-4EAB-A30E-7B7D37D66DCE.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 63
  • FB7DA5F6-1857-490E-805B-56238B7B3E27.jpeg
    FB7DA5F6-1857-490E-805B-56238B7B3E27.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
Wow, what a necro-bump.

I was just looking at those Twitter pictures from the Nevada Gigafactory Megacharger site and thinking that the ABCD connection of the SC V3 cabinets should all go to different stalls. In fact, they could use the 3 output cabinet variety that has been deployed in Asia. Here's my logic. The V3 cabinet can only take 350kVA from the grid with each output giving up to 250kW. Assuming the Semi has 4 independent battery packs and DC connections, you want one truck to take power from 4 different cabinets at the same time. That way, if it is the only truck, it will be able to take the maximum charging rate possible without the cabinet architecture getting in the way. If you simply connected one semi to only one cabinet, the AC grid limit plus the DC bus from the other cabinets would limit you to less than 850kW. By arranging the cabinets so that each cabinet spans 3 or 4 stalls, you only get power limiting when the stalls get full. Megapacks that can also push energy into the DC bus would also be a neat feature.

Of course, those cabinets that look the same as the V3 Supercharger cabinets could be completely different inside with different power limits. However, I have thought from the start that V3 == Megacharger.