Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla "mobile charger" tripping breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go to my GF's house, I plug in my mobile charger into a regular 110 outlet and connect to my 2023 3. It popped the breaker after about 10-15 minutes. Added a surge protector extension and plugged it into a different outlet. Same problem, this time the breaker that popped was a main household breaker. House is 15 years old.

When I go to my son's house, I do the same without any issues. I connect my mobile Tesla brand charger to a regular 110 outlet. House is like 40 years old with a super old looking breakers.

Either time I didn't make any changes to the car's "charge current". I let it go with the idea that the car (Tesla) would figure it out. It is a Tesla Moblie charger.

I see posts about checking Breaker AMPS. I can't imagine if I go to a friend's house and want to plug my mobile Tesla brand charger in I need to go to the breaker box and try to figure out what outlet is connected to. Do I need to change the "charge current" manually? If so what do you recommend the setting be?

As far as I can tell, no GFI in either connection. I am new to Telsa and thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thx!

A surge protector has nothing to do with what is going on here.

The breaker servicing that outlet is over drawing and tripping when the car is plugged in. Or the breaker is bad. What size is the breaker, 15 or 20 amp? Will say on the breaker.

It is possible there is another load on that circuit that is causing the entire circuit to experience an overload w the car.

The car should be plugged into a dedicated circuit.

Set the car to 10 amp and try that. If that trips, try 8. Any lower and it’s not even worth charging.

Ps standard US household voltage is 120v. But I recognize 110 is vernacular.

Edit, a breaker is a simple device meant to cut current and it works by a thin metal in the breaker overheating and tripping. In other words, it is not a precise device and subject to variability in metal and heat dissipation. In other words, comparing your sons house to your gfs is of no value because they are very likely using different breaker brands/materials.

Upvote 0
You have to see what else is sharing that circuit, especially large appliances or other things that take a lot of power. Eg garage fridge, washer dryer in the garage, or even adjacent rooms could be sharing the same breaker as the garage.

The car will try to pull max current (12A on 120V) and any big power draw on top of that could trip a breaker.

If you have everything else unplugged on that circuit and it still trips the breaker, could be a house wiring issue or bad circuit breaker.

Reactions: BigNick
Upvote 0
OK, let's take this from the top.

Say you've got a modern house, which, probably, none of the houses you mentioned are. Amongst the many things in the National Electric Code, there's this bit: Major 120 VAC appliances get their one and only socket. Got a stove? Even if it's gas, It Has But One Breaker On It. Got a microwave? Same. Same for a fridge. Or a garbage disposal. (An electrician and neighbor of mine who did some work for me on a kitchen reno told me that a kitchen, in general, is the Highest Current place is a house. After watching him correct a 1960's-era house to code, I believe him.)

As you'll find out hanging around here, garages built to current NEC, if they have a single wall plate in there, have but One Breaker on that wall plate. So, if that wall plate has a 15A breaker, you can figure, pretty much, that a Tesla plugged into that garage socket is the One And Only Load On That Breaker.

So, if that Tesla Mobile Connector is doing its thing on 120@15A, it'll draw 12A, the max for a steady load.

Thing is, if one goes to any other 120 VAC socket in a house, at least outside the kitchen, anyway, there'll probably be four or so sockets and some lights on that single 15A breaker. But the further back in time one goes, the fewer actual breakers one would find in a house, and the more sockets one would find on a single breaker.

So, say that a particular room, with the lights on, might have three 100W lightbulbs burning away. That's roughly 1A per lightbulb, more if they're three-way with 120W or something; add 12A from the Tesla and, sure, one is going to pop a breaker that way.

Um. You might ask if the homeowner has had other problems like this. I've got a relative in an older apartment in the Boston area; she already knows that turning on the toaster, coffee maker, and hitting the disposal will pop the breaker. You get the idea. If this isn't uncommon for that homeowner, then, well, you know.

Heck: late last year my daughter got married and a bunch of us got put up in an rental house. There were air conditioners in every room; and, yeah, we had breaker problems.

Now, having said all that, there's always alternative explanations. Breakers do wear out over time. Wires get loose. And it's just possible that there's something screwy about your Tesla Mobile Connector. But you've already said that it works vaguely normally in other places... so I'm still thinking old construction.

The one that really got me in your story is that during one of these escapades the main got popped. Um. Let's get clear: The Main Breaker is the one in the breaker panel labeled with something like "100A" or "60A" or "200A". Blowing one of those is out of the penny-ante, "too much current on a branch circuit" and straight into horror story land. You said that happened when you used something like a computer surge protector-type extension cord. Um. My thinking is that you fried something inside of it, it shorted, and the Mains Saved The Day.

Is this what you're talking about? Or was it simply a $RANDOM 15A breaker on the panel?

Last thing, since you appear to be new to all of this. Most houses/apartments/what-all in the US tend to run something called, "split phase". Three wires show up at the house:
  • A neutral, which is roughly ground (and is often bonded to a ground bus-bar in the breaker panel, which in turn has a hefty wire going to a 6' copper stake pounded into the Earth)
  • A hot, which is 120 VAC to Neutral
  • And another hot, which is also 120 VAC to Neutral; but when one of the hots is going up in voltage (sine wave, right?), the other is going down in voltage; so the voltage from one hot to the other is 240 VAC.
After these suckers make their way through the meter they show up in the breaker box. One hot ends up on one bus bar; the other hot ends up an another bus bar; and the neutral (and ground) end up on a ground bar that goes everywhere.

If one looks at the breaker box, there's typically a vertical stack of breakers. Here's the tricky bit: First breaker connects to one hot; next breaker connects to the other hot; third breaker connects to the first hot, again, lather, rinse, repeat, all the way down. On a 120 VAC circuit, a particular breaker will have a black wire coming out of it; a white wire is connected to the neutral/ground bar; and then the two of them go off to wherever they go, along with a green wire also hooked to the bus bar. The black goes to the hot blade on a 120 VAC socket, the white goes to the other, neutral blade on the 120 VAC socket; and the green wire goes to the ground pin.

When you've got a 240 VAC load, like for Air Conditioning (or a Tesla), people will use a duplex breaker where two, say, 40A breakers are ganged together and go in adjacent slots. One of the two gets one hot; the other gets the other hot, and the two wires coming out of the duplex breaker have 240 VAC across them. Add a neutral and/or ground and send them off to their load, be it a NEMA14-50, the HVAC, or whatever.

Adding a dedicated 120VAC 15A breaker to an empty slot, and having that go to a 120 VAC socket in a garage is pretty trivial. If the breaker panel is in the garage then it's more trivial than that. But if you haven't messed with AC power before in your life, Now Is Not The Time To Do It On Your Own. That's what electricians are for 😁 .

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick
Upvote 0
Your Tesla mobile connector (not charger) is designed to automatically draw the maximum amount of amps when using the Tesla plug adapters (those plugs which are attached to the mobile connector and plugs into the wall outlet. Assuming that you do have access to a 14-50 (dryer or oven outlet) that @GregD60 mentioned, then you don't need a non-Tesla charger; merely purchase a 14-50 NEMA adapter from Tesla (for like $45).

A NEMA 5-15 (standard 120V plug) will let the mobile connector charge your car at 12A. That's good enough for around 4-5 miles per hour charge rate. IF there is something else on the circuit you plug into, that can cause the breaker to trip. Using a 14-50 adapter, will let your car charge at 32A (at 240V); effectively around 30 miles of range per hour.

You are able to "turn down" the charging current in your car, from 12A to the 8A that @sightman mentions but I would not rely upon that as a permanent solution. Also, avoid using extension cords (and surge protectors) between the wall outlet and the mobile connector. There is a temperature sensor built into the Tesla NEMA adapters which keeps an eye on the outlet temperature. Using an extension cord removes that safety element.

Upvote 0
Your Tesla mobile connector (not charger) is designed to automatically draw the maximum amount of amps when using the Tesla plug adapters (those plugs which are attached to the mobile connector and plugs into the wall outlet. Assuming that you do have access to a 14-50 (dryer or oven outlet) that @GregD60 mentioned, then you don't need a non-Tesla charger; merely purchase a 14-50 NEMA adapter from Tesla (for like $45).

A NEMA 5-15 (standard 120V plug) will let the mobile connector charge your car at 12A. That's good enough for around 4-5 miles per hour charge rate. IF there is something else on the circuit you plug into, that can cause the breaker to trip. Using a 14-50 adapter, will let your car charge at 32A (at 240V); effectively around 30 miles of range per hour.

You are able to "turn down" the charging current in your car, from 12A to the 8A that @sightman mentions but I would not rely upon that as a permanent solution. Also, avoid using extension cords (and surge protectors) between the wall outlet and the mobile connector. There is a temperature sensor built into the Tesla NEMA adapters which keeps an eye on the outlet temperature. Using an extension cord removes that safety element.
And, going along these lines about Not Using Extension Cord:

I can report that when doing L1 charging (off of 120 VAC) Teslas will monitor the line voltage. If the line voltage dips as the current rises, the car will figure, "Well, that ain't right!" and drop the charging current. From Tesla's perspective, the car can't tell if it's an inadequate extension cord out there or loose wires in a socket. The first isn't such a great idea and the second is downright dangerous.

If one is going to use an extension cord, using a proper extension cord that can actually handle the current is critical. If one runs down to Home Depot, spies one of those Orange Extension Cords that's labelled, "Heavy Duty!" that people use for Christmas Lights and/or weed-whackers, the only thing, "heavy" about those things is the sheer amount of insulation, with very little copper, put into the cord. Voltage Drops R Us.

I've had much better luck at Harbor Freight, but I'm sure that there's other places. If you want a 20' 15A 120 VAC extension cord, they'll sell you one at substantially higher price than the Home Depot special. If you want a 40' 15A 120 VAC extension cord, it'll cost you more than 2X the 20' model - because the wire gauge goes up to keep the voltage drop under control and copper is expensive. The people who buy these kinds of things are contractors who want to run portable circular saws and don't want them to sag in voltage (and speed) when they're working on a new house. The Home Depot/Lowes Specials don't compare.

And, yeah, I have charged at 120 V and 12A with one of those things. The extension cord doesn't even get warm.

Upvote 0

Getting technical, the charge connector doesn't draw any current (beyond minimal self-operation).
Rather, it informs the vehicle how much current can be supplied based on the plug/ outlet type and the vehicle's charger draws up to that amount of current.

On the charge status display: XX/YY, XX is the car's current draw and YY is the connector's advertised limit (unless the voltage drooped too much, then the vehicle reduces the maximum, IIRC).

Upvote 0
Try using your GF's hair dryer (run it at max heat, and WITHOUT the surge protector) on the same outlet you plug your UMC into. It will likely pop the breaker as well, because those things usually pull 15A (they're allowed to do so on a 15A circuit as they're not considered a continuous load.)

If the hair dryer hasn't popped the breaker after about 15 minutes, your UMC might be at fault.

Upvote 0
When I go to my GF's house, I plug in my mobile charger into a regular 110 outlet and connect to my 2023 3. It popped the breaker after about 10-15 minutes.
How much other stuff is shared with that outlet? If other stuff on the circuit draws enough current while the EV charging is drawing 12A on the 15A circuit, it is not hard to see the breaker being triggered.

Upvote 0