Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 and speed limit signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this approach may be a good way to recognise non numeric traffic signs of which there are many, in fact most signs that are not speed limit signs.
I'm pretty sure that Tesla doesn't use Maps or Nav for instant speed limit implementation. In France, it is accepted that when you approach a town or village, the rectangular sign with the town's name is an automatic requirement to lower speed to 50kph. As you leave the town, there is the same sign with a diagonal red line through it - this allows you to return to whatever the national speed limit is for that region - sometimes 80, and sometimes 90kph. At the moment, the car does not recognise these signs and will continue at whatever speed it is doing for at least 100 metres before slowing. Even when there is a red outlined round sign on a major road the car acts on it after the event rather than as a human- maybe 20 or 30 metres before the sign. I would have thought that this would be an easy fix but apparently not.

...Even when there is a red outlined round sign on a major road the car acts on it after the event rather than as a human- maybe 20 or 30 metres before the sign. I would have thought that this would be an easy fix but apparently not.
I guess it depends on 2 things:
  • How far ahead the Tesla sign recognition can work - if its only 20 metres or so then it would not leave enough time to slow up by the time you pass the sign if you were doing 60mph for example. I know it is a poor comparison but if you have ever seen dashcam footage you will know how close to a car you need to be to see the car numberplate letters.
  • Will it be able to locally store on the car all the traffic signs you will meet in the UK (and abroad?), If not it may need to speak to the cloud to check what it is, which will slow it up quite a bit and what if you are in a dead area. How much data storage is on a Tesla?