Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 DM Performance - Autocross/Time Trial Build for USCA (Optima)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that I have raced at a few events I wanted to share my build that I'm using primarily for the Ultimate Street Car Association's Optima Search for the Ultimate Street car. I've already raced at NCM Motorsports Park and Road Amercia, and I plan to have the car at NOLA Motorsports Park in October, followed by the SEMA show and OUSCI in November.

This build has been created with significant support from Mountain Pass Performance and Stranoparts, and I can't thank them enough for the help!

Picture1.jpg

Fastest Track Laps:
  • NCM Motorsports Park Grand Full (Stock Suspension): 2:21.478
  • Road America w/Motorcycle Chicane (MPP Sport Suspension): 2:45.082

Here's a little bit about the build:

2019 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor Performance

Chassis/Suspension:
  • Mountain Pass Performance Sport Suspension Package
    • 2-way Adjustable Damping (Compression / Rebound)
    • Full Ride-Height Adjustability
  • Mountain Pass Performance Adjustable Rear Camber Arms
  • Mountain Pass Performance Adjustable Rear Toe Arms
  • UPP Adjustable Rear Anti-Roll Bar
Wheels / Tires:
  • 19x10 MRR M600
  • 275/35R19 Bridgestone RE-71R

Brakes:
  • 4-piston Brembo Front Calipers
    • UPP Street/Track Pads
  • Single-piston Brembo Rear Calipers
    • UPP Street/Track Pads
  • Dot-4 600°F+ Brake Fluid (Currently Redline RL-600)
Interior / AV / Electronics:
  • Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses
  • Solostorm Data Acquisition System

I'll be sure to update this thread as things change and I participate in more events. Tesla has created an awesome performance vehicle and I figured people might be interested to learn more!

Which version of the quickfit pro compatible to model 3?

I'm using the one for a BMW E90. Note that it's not officially approved by Schroth, so use at your own risk.

To remove the headrest, follow these instructions:

To remove the rear seat bottom cushion, follow these instructions:

Additionally, here are some pictures of the install and how I mounted it.

For the front, you need to remove this bolt (underside front of the seat, door-side) - then the side panel can pop off:
IMG_20190504_154607.jpg

Then you can mount the clip here:
IMG_20190512_144011.jpg

Rear mount works on the seat belt bolt as normal:
IMG_20190512_152635.jpg

Feed the belts through based on the video trick for the headrest:
IMG_20190512_144542.jpg

Done!
IMG_20190504_163934.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_144300.jpg
    IMG_20190512_144300.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20190512_152339.jpg
    IMG_20190512_152339.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_20190512_152647.jpg
    IMG_20190512_152647.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 231
You are way too modest - Not only are you breaking EV class records at the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, you are winning against the best ICE cars. What you did at the King of the Mountain was epic. I expect a fair number of attendees and fans of the event are now placing their orders for a Tesla Model 3. You Rock!

I love that the announcer was worried that your battery would die from leaving your lights on!

Ultimate GTE.png

Bracket-w-Times.png

Attachments

• Ultimate GTE.png
    Ultimate GTE.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 195
You are way too modest - Not only are you breaking EV class records at the Ultimate Street Car Challenge, you are winning against the best ICE cars. What you did at the King of the Mountain was epic. I expect a fair number of attendees and fans of the event are now placing their orders for a Tesla Model 3. You Rock!

I love that the announcer was worried that your battery would die from leaving your lights on!

I appreciate the support! Now if only I hadn't lost by 0.008s to that time trials Corvette... haha.

The announcer was set on full-cheese, but he had me laughing during the the competition - UMI did an incredible job with that event - as fun as it was to watch it was just as fun being there. Who spectates autocross... It was crazy!

I'm using the one for a BMW E90. Note that it's not officially approved by Schroth, so use at your own risk.

To remove the headrest, follow these instructions:

To remove the rear seat bottom cushion, follow these instructions:

Additionally, here are some pictures of the install and how I mounted it.

For the front, you need to remove this bolt (underside front of the seat, door-side) - then the side panel can pop off:
View attachment 447972

Then you can mount the clip here:
View attachment 447974

Rear mount works on the seat belt bolt as normal:
View attachment 447979

Feed the belts through based on the video trick for the headrest:
View attachment 447977

Done!
View attachment 447973

This is great information. Can you help clarify something? With the rear outer mount, are you using/removing the stock seat belt mounting location?

So can the factory belt remain installed in conjunction with the rear mount? Asking since this looks like something I may go with, but I also have a child that uses that seat when I'm not enjoying a day at the track...

Yep, full factory belts are maintained - you just unclip the belt from the new attachment for the harness and you are good to go. If the headrest wasn't such a pain you could pull out the belt easily, but I usually just loop the front part back around the seat and connect it back to itself if I don't want to use it - can tuck it into the seat back as well.

Yep, full factory belts are maintained - you just unclip the belt from the new attachment for the harness and you are good to go. If the headrest wasn't such a pain you could pull out the belt easily, but I usually just loop the front part back around the seat and connect it back to itself if I don't want to use it - can tuck it into the seat back as well.

Brilliant! Thank you. Apologies for going off topic. Great driving, and I look forward to reading/hearing more about your success with this platform! I've got more questions, but I'll move those into a DM.

Brilliant! Thank you. Apologies for going off topic. Great driving, and I look forward to reading/hearing more about your success with this platform! I've got more questions, but I'll move those into a DM.

I don't think it's off-topic - I'm pretty sure I'm the only Tesla Model 3 with the Quick Fit Pro harness setup - I expected questions which is why I had the pictures ready. :)

Good point! On that note, care to share which Solostorm setup you're using?

That one is pretty easy - there's really only one setup, it's just the app from petral and the GPS receiver they recommend. I use a larger Huawei tablet so China can check out my sweet autocross runs but any Android tablet or phone will work, and then I have a ProClip mount that's on the center console.

Petrel Data Systems

Tesla Model 3 Console Mount

Full disclosure - I've had issues with the recommended GPS receiver - seem to go bad every few years. I use Racecapture on other cars, but that needs OBDII to power it.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
That one is pretty easy - there's really only one setup, it's just the app from petral and the GPS receiver they recommend. I use a larger Huawei tablet so China can check out my sweet autocross runs but any Android tablet or phone will work, and then I have a ProClip mount that's on the center console.

Petrel Data Systems

Tesla Model 3 Console Mount

Full disclosure - I've had issues with the recommended GPS receiver - seem to go bad every few years. I use Racecapture on other cars, but that needs OBDII to power it.

Ah, ok. Wasn't sure if you were retrieving data from the CAN bus.

Good for you. I’m a retired (mostly) sports car racer with many years of club level road racing experience in Porsches. I have a 2016 S90 and have been meaning to get it to a track for fun. I understand the battery will protect itself from overheating by derating just a few laps in but I’m still game. I’m headed to Portland International Raceway in a week and I’m curious: If I don’t use full power in the straights and save it for corner exits do you think I can finish a 20 minute session?