Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 DM Performance - Autocross/Time Trial Build for USCA (Optima)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Effective 1/1/2021

Normally yes, it would be effective 1/1/2021, but I believe it's actually effective immediately, based on the language:

#27475 Tesla Model 3 Classing
In accordance with section 3.2 in the Solo Rules, the SAC recommends, and the SEB has
approved, the following change to Appendix A:
Move from BS to SS:
Tesla
Model 3 Performance (2018-2020)

The reference to 3.2 is the key, as it is the provision for immediate change, and includes the language regarding OTA updates:

3.2 VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION
New car makes, types, and models will be classified by the SEB as soon as
sufficient information is available to do so. The SEB may reclassify a car at
any time up to and including December of the calendar year following that
of the initial classification, without the approval of the Board of Directors.
If a manufacturer issues an official specifications change (software or
otherwise) to any previously-classed vehicle and that change is deemed
significant enough to warrant reclassification, the SEB can request the
BOD to approve an immediate classing change. “Initial classification” in-
cludes the addition of a new listing on an exclusion list.

Last edited:
That's my only thought as well - I'd be really surprised if they changed the seat but it's possible. Let me know if you get it figured out, I don't know what to say about that one.

It looks like this bar, and there's a lot of clearance on mine, but I did play around with vertical and fore-aft movement to get everything in:

Ok, I'm an idiot. I will document for anyone else.
I only moved my seat forward and back and the bar looks attached and doesn't move. After your reply I tired also moving in the vertical direction and it also moves it forward when doing that. So it is accessible.

What are the 2 little flat black pieces that are seat belt width by 1/4" for?
Mine came with no directions at all.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm keeping an eye on this thread as here in the UK we are on the verge of being allowed to enter electric cars into our equivalent of Autocross and other events such as hillclimbs, sprints, rallies and circuit racing. It may happen this year.

At the moment, the National rules don't even allow it. I'm attending a meeting this week where this is going to be discussed by the people in charge of the regulations for UK motorsport so it's going to be interesting to hear what they say and if they've looked at what's been going on with the SCCA and USCA.

One thing I'm really interested in is how you guys feel about electic cars being put in a class of their own as opposed to mixing them in with ICE cars. That seems to be the main difference between the SCCA and USCA rules if I've read them right. I have no idea how it will go here but I'm concerned that if we are forced into a dedicated class, the entry numbers will be so low at the start it may never get off the ground. Any thoughts?

A couple of things that may further help someone doing the belts.
The seat going up also goes forward to expose the t20 screw. It doesn't need to come all the way out, just enough to release the metal on top.
The drivers attachment bracket is attached with a t45 and will need to bend outward as you tighten as the inside of where is it attached is not flat.
The headrest doesn't need to come off, just up enough to feed belts thru. I actually didn't push mine down to where it clicked again. I left it so it comes up without doing the clips and I can remove the belts. The clips are farther down in there than you think.
The back seat of mine doesn't have the metal hooks on the trunk side. The seat belt attachment 16mm is low on the pillar not on the base.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: beastmode13
Total newbie here but I am trying to learn from looking at info from this thread and "MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track"

I guess I will ask in this one as it seems more MPP centered and that's route I went.
So I had the MPP coilovers, rear camber & toe arms, front camber arm, steel brake lines, UP street/track pads, Castrol racing brake fluid, all installed with MPP recommended street settings. I have a 3 performance with the 20" wheels and this is my daily driver but will track too.

1st up when I back out of my garage to my driveway there is about a 4 inch drop. After install I bottom out on something as it compresses. The stock suspension didn't do that. I know that's probably not a real world scenario so I can deal with it if it is not something installed wrong/dangerous. Hard to reproduce for installer or video, etc.

2nd, the installer installed all the shims and could only get the front camber to -1 for normal street config. What is recommended? Can more shims be installed to get to 0. It is pretty knife edge steering and AP tends to ping pong more. I don't know yet what the no shims setting would get.

3rd, do I just carry the front knob around for adjustment? Is there a way to have it installed that leaves it with it being accessible? If anyone has a pic that would be great.

After that, I was thinking that I could get the adjustments you guys do or get final settings and work with my alignment guy and document that when I get to the track I can just know to do 5 clicks here, 4 clicks there, remove shims, loosen nut - turn 1 turn clockwise and tighten. Then reverse when done.

I also was thinking that I would eventually run (suggested) light weight 18" with (suggested) tire and spec and that would drop me another inch lower for track and I might not have to adjust the height.

Thank you for any advise in advance from you guys that know what you are doing.
Appreciate it.

One thing I'm really interested in is how you guys feel about electric cars being put in a class of their own as opposed to mixing them in with ICE cars.
I don't mean to hijack this Performance thread, but since you asked...being a RWD owner, I would prefer that EVs were mixed with ICE cars into classes based on weight to HP ratio + mods. The problem with EV only classes is that there are too many sub-classes. Take Tesla Corsa for example. They have the Tesla Challenge with the 5 classes:

1. Track Car 1: It doesn't matter what Tesla you have, if you have slicks you fall into this class
2. Street Car 1: Model 3 performance only
3. Street Car 2: Any Model 3 that is not the P (I hate the term non-performance)
4. Street Car 3: Model S or X (Unlike with drag racing, even a P100D+ cannot match a Performance 3 on a road course.)
5. Street Car 4: Beginner class for new drivers. Does not matter which car you have.

That's already a lot of classes, but still includes too wide a range of cars within a class. Classes based on weight to HP ratios would alleviate this disparity.
final 3.png

Also, it is fun to see how EVs can compete on even footing with any car out there like the OP has done in multiple competitions. The couple events that I've done with mixed cars have been fun - in this one I came in second out of 12 cars in my class while I was still on the stock all season tires.

Last edited:
1st up when I back out of my garage to my driveway there is about a 4 inch drop. After install I bottom out on something as it compresses. The stock suspension didn't do that. I know that's probably not a real world scenario so I can deal with it if it is not something installed wrong/dangerous. Hard to reproduce for installer or video, etc.
You sure it's not suspension droop on one wheel that's doing it? How can you tell it's bottoming out, because normally you can not tell when suspension bottoms out going slow, as there are squishy bump-stops that absorb the impact.
2nd, the installer installed all the shims and could only get the front camber to -1 for normal street config. What is recommended? Can more shims be installed to get to 0. It is pretty knife edge steering and AP tends to ping pong more. I don't know yet what the no shims setting would get.
You don't want 0 camber if you're planning on any aggressive driving. 1* is a not bad for street and some performance driving, but you want significantly more for the track. You should check your toe values if you feel that the car is too unstable. At 1* camber that shouldn't change driving feel much.

I also was thinking that I would eventually run (suggested) light weight 18" with (suggested) tire and spec and that would drop me another inch lower for track and I might not have to adjust the height.
Changing wheel size does not typically change ride height significantly as typically you keep the wheel height and circumference close to stock.

PS - these posts probably belong in the other thread, IMO. Or perhaps a new thread.

A couple of things that may further help someone doing the belts.
The seat going up also goes forward to expose the t20 screw. It doesn't need to come all the way out, just enough to release the metal on top.
The drivers attachment bracket is attached with a t45 and will need to bend outward as you tighten as the inside of where is it attached is not flat.
The headrest doesn't need to come off, just up enough to feed belts thru. I actually didn't push mine down to where it clicked again. I left it so it comes up without doing the clips and I can remove the belts. The clips are farther down in there than you think.
The back seat of mine doesn't have the metal hooks on the trunk side. The seat belt attachment 16mm is low on the pillar not on the base.
T20 was a bitch to unscrew. And another one was T50, not T45. Backseat pillar cushion is not sitting correct anymore - makes sounds if pushing it, but can't fix it... Used your advice to not push the headrest down and now I can take out belts and out back easily.

Thanks everyone for good info. BTW, in EU, Quickfit is not available since it's not certified. Made in Germany only for US. Had to sneak it back.

BTW, in EU, Quickfit is not available since it's not certified. Made in Germany only for US. Had to sneak it back.
This is what I discovered too. I looked for another suitable harness which is EU certified, but couldn't find anything as suitable as the Quickfit, so I'm bringing some in from the U.S. as well.

Total newbie here but I am trying to learn from looking at info from this thread and "MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track"

I guess I will ask in this one as it seems more MPP centered and that's route I went.
So I had the MPP coilovers, rear camber & toe arms, front camber arm, steel brake lines, UP street/track pads, Castrol racing brake fluid, all installed with MPP recommended street settings. I have a 3 performance with the 20" wheels and this is my daily driver but will track too.

Hi there, these are all MPP questions, in the future please email us so we have a chance to answer them. Here we go!

It sounds like after lowering your car you are having ground clearance issues between the garage and driveway. If there is a steep angle, the flat underbody of the Model 3 will happily scrape against things. This is why many of our lift kit customers raise their car beyond the stock ride height, their condo parking garage entrance is too extreme.

-1.0* camber is perfect for street use. We can send you one set of additional 2mm shims, but that is usually for someone running a very low ride height that is having trouble getting below -2.0* of camber.

3rd, do I just carry the front knob around for adjustment? Is there a way to have it installed that leaves it with it being accessible? If anyone has a pic that would be great.

Most people leave the adjustment knob in their center console. If you try to leave it in the damper it can bounce out and get lost!

After that, I was thinking that I could get the adjustments you guys do or get final settings and work with my alignment guy and document that when I get to the track I can just know to do 5 clicks here, 4 clicks there, remove shims, loosen nut - turn 1 turn clockwise and tighten. Then reverse when done.

Here are some starting points for you. Every driver, car, and track are different. There is no one size fits all, otherwise, race engineers would be out of the job!

Low Grip / Technical Track Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)

Front Compression: 9
Front Rebound: 8
Rear Compression: 6
Rear Rebound: 7

High-Speed / High-Compression Track Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)

Front Compression: 5
Front Rebound: 5
Rear Compression: 4
Rear Rebound: 3

Street Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)

Front Compression: 14
Front Rebound: 13
Rear Compression: 14
Rear Rebound: 13

Track Alignment:

Front Camber: -3.6 °
Front Toe: Varies. Generally -2mm total
Rear Camber: -2.6 °
Rear Toe: Varies. Generally -3mm total

Street Alignment:

Front Camber: -1.1 °
Front Toe: -1mm total
Rear Camber: -1.1 °
Rear Toe: -1mm total

The front upper control arm instructions have an easy-start guide for making FUCA adjustments at the track, you can find it on this page: MPP Corkscrew Front Upper Control Arm Installation Instructions | Mountain Pass Performance

Unless your 18" tire setup has an overall diameter that is 2" less than your current setup, your ride height won't drop by 1" with different wheels. We also strongly advise against running smaller overall diameter wheels/tires, it just runs the motors at a higher RPM and in field-weakening even sooner than normal. It would be best to find a ride height that works for your daily driving and stick with it at the track as well. There is no point in raising or lowering your car for the track unless you running in a competitive series. Even then, changing the ride height necessitates a realignment, which would be costly (one alignment after lowering, one alignment after raising) or simply time-consuming if you are going to do it yourself using strings.

Thank you for any advise in advance from you guys that know what you are doing.
Appreciate it.

IIRC, you would not be able to run SS in a car with more than the factory camber settings. I remember Steve Equina getting busted for that in ESP. Where do you run a Model 3 with additional camber for SCCA SoloII? I've been out of the game 15 years.

IIRC, you would not be able to run SS in a car with more than the factory camber settings. I remember Steve Equina getting busted for that in ESP. Where do you run a Model 3 with additional camber for SCCA SoloII? I've been out of the game 15 years.

The car is classed in ASP, although a lot of the MPP upgrades use sphericals which as noted in this thread somewhere earlier are not allowed in *SP, which is asinine, but that's the SCCA for you. The car is legal in SM as well, and there is also a new EV class that's basically intended to allow whatever you want, but on 200tw, however rules haven't been released yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
The car is classed in ASP, although a lot of the MPP upgrades use sphericals which as noted in this thread somewhere earlier are not allowed in *SP, which is asinine, but that's the SCCA for you. The car is legal in SM as well, and there is also a new EV class that's basically intended to allow whatever you want, but on 200tw, however rules haven't been released yet.

We sent you some goodies today John! ;)

Just curious why the OP is using MRR M600 19x10" (24 lbs) wheels for road racing when there are much lighter wheels options available.

I'm using them because they are cheap and available off-the-shelf, and I don't think weight matters much on a 4000lb car with plenty of power. If it was a Miata I'd definitely be looking for lighter wheels.

This year I'm going wider so I may end up going with something more-custom, but we shall see.

• Disagree
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Hey everyone - it's been a bit - this year has obviously been a little crazy for everyone, but I did install a few more pieces of the MPP suspension offerings (all rear arms now replaced in the back, along with the front lower bushing), and I recently took my car to NCM Motorsports Park to try to chase down Andy Pilgrim's time in a Taycan Turbo S (2:15.3 - https://www.proracerstake.com/). I didn't quite make it, but I got within 0.5s, and I'm very happy with that - ended up 14/212 overall for the event too! This is the fastest I've run at the track with this car by around 2.5s, mostly down to aggression, more suspension mods, and some of the tweaks from earlier this year provided by Tesla. This was also on the fastest 200tw street tire out there right now that I'm aware of (295/25R19 Kumho ACR), so it's an aggressive tire, but certainly not an A7 by any means.

Check out the video here!