Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Drive System Validated after 1 Million Miles of Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just counting miles is not an accurate way to determine the lifespan of Li batteries. They degrade from age as well. In other words, just sitting around for years will reduce their capacity. The factors are: Number charge/discharge cycles, temperature, age, and depth of discharges / peak charges (no order.) All four are important. A three year old Tesla with 300K miles on it will have more remaining capacity than a 10 year Tesla with 300K miles on it.

They degrade from lots of 100% charging... and from supercharging.

The 300k 3 year old battery was supercharged multiple times a day, every day, for 3 years and usually to 100% charge.

So I'd suggest that might well be harder on the battery pack than 10 years of normal L1/L2 plug in charging to 70-80%.

Guess time will tell but everything we've seen from Tesla and other battery experts suggests that's likely the case.

I would be downright shocked if a Model 3 battery lasted 500k miles. So far as I've seen no Model S battery has made it to 200k without service or replacement. Your link mentions a Model X with 300k miles on a battery pack but I am skeptical. I think 200k is going to be the typical life of a large battery pack and smaller packs will be less than that because they get worked harder (cycled more).

It is unclear to me whether or not Supercharging is a factor in battery life. It would seem likely, but I Supercharge a lot — more than 258 times in 54k miles — and I've been told that my S60 pack is in the 80-85th percentile in range remaining, with about 12% degradation. So, most packs are doing worse and I Supercharge much more than usual. It seems counterintuitive.

See above for my general thoughts on this.

That 300k model X supercharged way more than you did, and to undesirable charge levels every time too.

And the 3 pack is more advanced than the S or X packs allegedly.