Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Front Upper Control Arms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any experience with noise from front upper control arms? Got quite a bit of noise when stationary turning the wheel. Attached some pictures and as I was taking them spotted a rusted o ring which is the same for both sets on either side of the wheel which looks suspicious.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    481.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3263.jpeg
    IMG_3263.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3268.jpeg
    IMG_3268.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 126
A possibly explanation of different estimates is that they can replace arms singly or in pairs and for warranty claims they will probably try to replace only one, for cost reasons.
For the front upper control arms you should check they are using the new redesigned parts (128832x) because they should last a lot longer and then they have to replace both at the same time. If they use the older part number they can get away with just replacing one side.

IMO it's worth paying for them to both be replaced with the new part. In the UK the total job costs around £200. I can't see where they get $668 from so maybe you can show us your estimate?
1714165446668.png

seems labor is free, but add two diagnosis labor fee

Upvote 0
This might help. UK biased, but part numbers should be the same.

View attachment 1042071

Thank you for sharing! I now see where the $2k for replacing the lateral links and compliance links come from. So much more expensive than the upper control arms! I may just wait till there's an actual issue with one of the lower control arms before dishing out $1k for the replacement....

The part number for my replacement upper control arm is 1044326-00-J. Looks like I got the old part. I don't mind bringing the car in for another replacement in 100k miles though. Hopefully by that time Tesla will have only the new part available.

Upvote 0
View attachment 1042114
seems labor is free, but add two diagnosis labor fee

The problem with this specific case is that the service center had to perform a diagnosis. When I brought my car in, I knew what the problem was, so the service center did not perform any diagnosis and thus I didn't have to pay for any labor.

Upvote 0