Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Is The Most Efficient Electric Car On Highways

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not about being impossible, it's about how much electric potential it generates (that has a corresponding drag). This is why the "roll freely" is limited in how fast it can roll and will automatically engage brakes if you roll to far, too fast. If you were to tow it at speed causing those wheels to rotate it'd generate enough electric potential that something would have to give and damage would occur.
I am not sure of course, but I think that speed is limited by limit of propulsion, not applying the brakes and for other reasons. Generally maximum voltage of components in electrical circuits are much higher than nominal voltage is. For example if nominal voltage in a circuit is 5V, components usually have maximum voltage not less than 10V. I believe that components in Tesla inverter chosen with maximum voltage at least 800V and in circuits with induction load at least 1-2KV. ALso, my answer was to somebody who was sure that motor with permanent magnets can be either motor or generator, no free spin possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I am not sure of course, but I think that speed is limited by limit of propulsion, not applying the brakes and for other reasons. Generally maximum voltage of components in electrical circuits are much higher than nominal voltage is. For example if nominal voltage in a circuit is 5V, components usually have maximum voltage not less than 10V. I believe that components in Tesla inverter chosen with maximum voltage at least 800V and in circuits with induction load at least 1-2KV. ALso, my answer was to somebody who was sure that motor with permanent magnets can be either motor or generator, no free spin possible.

You misunderstand, when the motor is acting as a generator it is creating a voltage potential and if the circuit is closed (through whatever amount of resistance) it'll create an electrical current as well. If it truly open it's actually nominally a current source which means theoretically infinite voltage, which eventually rises to the point that something gives (the insulation fails or something breaks). If the circuit is closed it'll be converting the drag into heat as the current flows through the resistance in the closed circuit.

This isn't anything to do with the battery (unless they are closing the circuit through the battery, thus charging the battery).

Sorry
You misunderstand, when the motor is acting as a generator it is creating a voltage potential and if the circuit is closed (through whatever amount of resistance) it'll create an electrical current as well. If it truly open it's actually nominally a current source which means theoretically infinite voltage, which eventually rises to the point that something gives (the insulation fails or something breaks). If the circuit is closed it'll be converting the drag into heat as the current flows through the resistance in the closed circuit.

This isn't anything to do with the battery (unless they are closing the circuit through the battery, thus charging the battery).
Sorry, I understood fine what you are talking about. You should read a bit about electrical motors. Generator creates some voltage, not a current. Current will depend of circuit resistance. Less resistance leads to bigger current. Assuming that if circuit is open voltage will grow indefinite is wrong. The voltage will depend of the RPM, and motor technical characteristics.

You should read a bit about electrical motors.
BWHAHAHAHA

As I said, it generates a voltage potential. The faster you're rotating the wheels, by towing it, the faster the motor spins and the higher the potential....to theoretically infinite level. The energy needs to go somewhere, so sayeth the 1st Law of Thermodynamics.

That's why tow mode is heavily limited and automatically disengages. If it wasn't it'd cook or break or arc (then cook) something.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 8.24.48 PM.png

It's not truly spinning free [of resistance].

Last edited:
BWHAHAHAHA

As I said, it generates a voltage potential. The faster you're rotating the wheels, by towing it, the faster the motor spins and the higher the potential....to theoretically infinite level. If energy needs to go somewhere, so sayeth the 1st Law of Thermodynamics.

That's why tow mode is heavily limited and automatically disengages. If it wasn't it'd burn or break or arc (then burn) something.

View attachment 328322

It's not truly spinning free [of resistance].
I am sorry, I am not going continue to argue with you, In a quote you posted here nothing says about voltage potential of a motor. All it is a precaution of situation of towing vehicle where 12V power can be low. And again, potencial is NOT infinite. Now you can post infinite answers...

I am sorry, I am not going continue to argue with you
.....because you've run out of plausible arguments and veered off into...
In a quote you posted here nothing says about voltage potential of a motor.
Well no, that's because it's written for electrically illiterate people, such as yourself I suppose, that don't really need to know why. The audience for the manual just needs to know what to expect in the functioning of the vehicle.

I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to help you understand. If you came here to argue about this you've greatly over-estimated yourself. Accept the help, or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Spokane to Kelowna, starting out at 100%, I arrived with about 40 miles (IIRC) more remaining range than expected, based on a nominal range of 310 miles

I think it is basic courtesy to give the number of miles between your source and destination. Without that your numbers are meaningless. I had to google it, and it seems it is 234 miles between them, and you consumed only 194 miles.

Extrapolating that you can go 370 miles on a full range.

Pretty Impressive !!

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
M3LR efficiency is amazing on a highway and of course even more on back roads. It is very easy to get 300+ miles range on long distance driving without even trying - that is at or slightly above speed limits. This is phenomenal.

On the very cold harsh days with head winds, I guess you could go 200 miles with heat blasting. That is the low water mark.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Pollux