Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

killua

Mar 31, 2019
MD
None. Love this beast.

I used to have TLX and still frequent the forums from time to time. People complain about new ZF transmission locking, ,... all the time. No car is perfect but this thing is darn near perfect.

We need TESLA to make it, our futuration generation deserves clean air, rather than gas guzzling v8 Diesel junk.

Thank you TESLA for making an awesome kick ass car, MADE IN AMERICA.

With you 100%.
No ads pissing me off.
No stupid slogans about some feelings.
No salesman!!!
This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. It was the finest buying experience in car buying EVER!
Keep it up Tesla, we do need you to succeed so we can tell our children we care and we're doing something for a green future.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Glad to hear that at least 2 Tesla owners have had a trouble-free experience! Far from the case for everyone. 3 months ago today, our M3 SR+ was delivered with 4 troublesome problems: rattling and clunking suspension (probably shock damage in transport); zero WiFi connectivity (maybe defective WiFi antenna - when I am sitting in the car my phone detects 8 to 10 WiFi networks, the car detects zero); intermittent Bluetooth connectivity (maybe defective Bluetooth antenna); and half the time the screen is black at startup and needs to be re-booted.

One Mobile Service visit and one Service Center visit (and a freaking gas-powered courtesy car and 8 hours of driving) later, and zero resolution of any of the problems to date. Another Mobile Service appointment scheduled for this coming week will hopefully take care of everything but the suspension noise issue.

Don't get me wrong! I love the car, despite not being able to get updates (2019.16.2 was pushed by the service center to try to resolve the black screen issue, and nothing since), often being slower to get out of parking lots than senior citizens (takes 30-45 seconds for the screen to reboot), and having the car lock itself when I go to the trunk, it is an amazing machine. But it bites that I had to spend more on gas with the loaner for a single trip to and from the service center, than I have had to spend on electricity for the 2800 km we have driven our M3 so far.

No accidents or user error so far. All these issues came standard with our new Tesla, and I have spent many hours documenting and logging these issues and communicating with Tesla analysts and service reps to try and get the problems resolved, so far, to no effect. Tesla has a LOT of work to do to get to anywhere near an acceptable level of service, and in this regard I am very disappointed so far with my new car experience, especially since I waited over 3 years to get the car in the first place.

We bought a M3 SR+ in May, delivered to our house in June. A few minor issues:

1) Car was dropped off while no one was home. Key card was left in our mail box. Fortunately, no damage to car, but would have been nice to be able to inspect before taking delivery. To complicate matters, we were traveling in South America with limited cell phone access. Our daughter was home, but working full time so hard for Tesla to coordinate the delivery.

2) The Monroney sticker was not in the car, so I couldn't register it. Had to request this from our sales rep, who emailed it to me.

3) Charging port occasionally locks up. I've had to pull the string in the trunk a few times to release from the charger. Much better than the 2015 e-Golf we leased. That car locked to the charger once & we had to disconnect the charger from our house b/c there was no way to disengage charge lock from the car.

4) Screen goes blank or freezes. This has happened about a half dozen times. Pushing and holding down both buttons on the steering wheel reboots it. Worst time this happened, I was driving in traffic near NYC on a long road trip. Lost navigation, speed, etc. Luckily my son was with me and was able to look up how to reboot the screen, which I did while driving since we were on a busy freeway with no shoulder miles away from the next exit. When the screen is on the fritz, the car still drives. But you are driving blind in terms of speed, navigation, autopilot status, etc. Can't even open the glovebox to get the manual (which I've since moved out of the glovebox).

5) The car does not have automatic lane changing. It was unclear whether that would or would not be included in autopilot. I believe that is no longer part of the basic autopilot package.

Otherwise, the car has been fantastic.

1) Fit and fitness are extremely good, bordering on great.
2) Same with acceleration and handling. I push this base model car hard and it performs well. I'd be scared to drive a performance version to its limits without spending some time on the track practicing with it.
3) Tesla's navigation is good. Could improve in places like Boston. I'm very dubious that we'll see full self driving in Boston or any busy East coast city this year.
4) Supercharging is great. I've seen rates approaching 100 kW. Long distance trips planned with A Better Routeplanner have been very good. The battery % estimates and anticipated charge times have been excellent. By the time I've found the bathrooms, stretched my legs, and picked up a snack, the car is ready to go. On a half dozen trips of eight hours to and from Maine, I've only had to wait for a supercharger spot to open up twice, and both times it was less than five minutes. Other M3 drivers seem to treat Supercharging like we do -- get in and out as fast as possible.
5) Cruise control is very good. Very occasionally, an overpass or something will spook the car and it will suddenly slow down. But in stop and go traffic, it's top notch.
6) Lane keeping is acceptable. When lane markings disappear the car will sometimes move over more suddenly than it needs to as it recalibrates where the lane is and where it wants to be in the lane. A few times a warning to take over immediately has appeared. Not sure what triggers that.
7) The sound system is okay. Road noise depends largely on type of pavement. Some roads are very smooth and quiet, others are not. The car itself is whisper quiet. It does not emit a warning sound for pedestrians when driving forward at low speeds. The car paired with everyone's cell phone except my wife's at first. Finally we deleted our daughter's cell phone from the pairing list and then the car was happy to pair with my wife's phone.
8) The climate control and AC is great. In a black car with a glass roof, we were worried the cabin would overheat too fast for the AC. That hasn't happened, even in PA and NJ in July.

Overall the biggest issue with the car is that I find myself driving it way too much! In less than a month, we've put 3,333 miles on it.

Glad to hear that at least 2 Tesla owners have had a trouble-free experience! Far from the case for everyone. 3 months ago today, our M3 SR+ was delivered with 4 troublesome problems: rattling and clunking suspension (probably shock damage in transport); zero WiFi connectivity (maybe defective WiFi antenna - when I am sitting in the car my phone detects 8 to 10 WiFi networks, the car detects zero); intermittent Bluetooth connectivity (maybe defective Bluetooth antenna); and half the time the screen is black at startup and needs to be re-booted.

One Mobile Service visit and one Service Center visit (and a freaking gas-powered courtesy car and 8 hours of driving) later, and zero resolution of any of the problems to date. Another Mobile Service appointment scheduled for this coming week will hopefully take care of everything but the suspension noise issue.

Don't get me wrong! I love the car, despite not being able to get updates (2019.16.2 was pushed by the service center to try to resolve the black screen issue, and nothing since), often being slower to get out of parking lots than senior citizens (takes 30-45 seconds for the screen to reboot), and having the car lock itself when I go to the trunk, it is an amazing machine. But it bites that I had to spend more on gas with the loaner for a single trip to and from the service center, than I have had to spend on electricity for the 2800 km we have driven our M3 so far.

No accidents or user error so far. All these issues came standard with our new Tesla, and I have spent many hours documenting and logging these issues and communicating with Tesla analysts and service reps to try and get the problems resolved, so far, to no effect. Tesla has a LOT of work to do to get to anywhere near an acceptable level of service, and in this regard I am very disappointed so far with my new car experience, especially since I waited over 3 years to get the car in the first place.
Time to review the Lemon Law. Even though I have had zero issues, I will keep the download just in case. I find in reading these threads that when pressed, Tesla will do the right thing. One problem might be a ton of new service techs that are trying to make a name for themselves.
If you meet the criteria for a "Lemon", I wouldn't hesitate to start pushing that. You might be pleasantly surprised..
Good luck

• Love
Reactions: neroden
They dropped off your car? Who signed for it? You're lucky, they couldn't get a semi down my dirt road, so I met them at the West Gardiner rest stop, at their suggestion. D'oh! Zero SOC! Mid-December, last delivery of the day. I had to push my car back on the hauler, and go to the Supercharger 10 miles away. The driver thought the rest stop had a supercharger. He even said he loaded my car with Zero SOC, in the morning. Now it was late afternoon. Yikes. At zero, there's rounding so it may actually have had 0.0 to 0.4% SOC, but no, it was zero. I had to push.

In the end, I charged up for an hour, ate a hamburger, and luckily there's nothing egregiously wrong with the vehicle, even though I had no way to do any kind of inspection under a street light at a supercharger in the middle of Winter.

Home delivery is really a bit of potluck since you have a lot more pressure not to reject a car, cause you're not dealing with a Tesla employee, and they have to put it back on the transporter if you do reject it. They've already got your money, cause you have to pay before they'll ship it to you, etc.
We bought a M3 SR+ in May, delivered to our house in June. A few minor issues:

1) Car was dropped off while no one was home. Key card was left in our mail box. Fortunately, no damage to car, but would have been nice to be able to inspect before taking delivery. To complicate matters, we were traveling in South America with limited cell phone access. Our daughter was home, but working full time so hard for Tesla to coordinate the delivery.

2) The Monroney sticker was not in the car, so I couldn't register it. Had to request this from our sales rep, who emailed it to me.

3) Charging port occasionally locks up. I've had to pull the string in the trunk a few times to release from the charger. Much better than the 2015 e-Golf we leased. That car locked to the charger once & we had to disconnect the charger from our house b/c there was no way to disengage charge lock from the car.

4) Screen goes blank or freezes. This has happened about a half dozen times. Pushing and holding down both buttons on the steering wheel reboots it. Worst time this happened, I was driving in traffic near NYC on a long road trip. Lost navigation, speed, etc. Luckily my son was with me and was able to look up how to reboot the screen, which I did while driving since we were on a busy freeway with no shoulder miles away from the next exit. When the screen is on the fritz, the car still drives. But you are driving blind in terms of speed, navigation, autopilot status, etc. Can't even open the glovebox to get the manual (which I've since moved out of the glovebox).

5) The car does not have automatic lane changing. It was unclear whether that would or would not be included in autopilot. I believe that is no longer part of the basic autopilot package.

Otherwise, the car has been fantastic.

1) Fit and fitness are extremely good, bordering on great.
2) Same with acceleration and handling. I push this base model car hard and it performs well. I'd be scared to drive a performance version to its limits without spending some time on the track practicing with it.
3) Tesla's navigation is good. Could improve in places like Boston. I'm very dubious that we'll see full self driving in Boston or any busy East coast city this year.
4) Supercharging is great. I've seen rates approaching 100 kW. Long distance trips planned with A Better Routeplanner have been very good. The battery % estimates and anticipated charge times have been excellent. By the time I've found the bathrooms, stretched my legs, and picked up a snack, the car is ready to go. On a half dozen trips of eight hours to and from Maine, I've only had to wait for a supercharger spot to open up twice, and both times it was less than five minutes. Other M3 drivers seem to treat Supercharging like we do -- get in and out as fast as possible.
5) Cruise control is very good. Very occasionally, an overpass or something will spook the car and it will suddenly slow down. But in stop and go traffic, it's top notch.
6) Lane keeping is acceptable. When lane markings disappear the car will sometimes move over more suddenly than it needs to as it recalibrates where the lane is and where it wants to be in the lane. A few times a warning to take over immediately has appeared. Not sure what triggers that.
7) The sound system is okay. Road noise depends largely on type of pavement. Some roads are very smooth and quiet, others are not. The car itself is whisper quiet. It does not emit a warning sound for pedestrians when driving forward at low speeds. The car paired with everyone's cell phone except my wife's at first. Finally we deleted our daughter's cell phone from the pairing list and then the car was happy to pair with my wife's phone.
8) The climate control and AC is great. In a black car with a glass roof, we were worried the cabin would overheat too fast for the AC. That hasn't happened, even in PA and NJ in July.

Overall the biggest issue with the car is that I find myself driving it way too much! In less than a month, we've put 3,333 miles on it.

They've delivered over a 200k of them, so statistically some will have issues - both major and minor. What I find very interesting is that even those with less than perfect deliveries still seem disproportionately happy with their car. Not always, but most of them.

Count me as fortunate. I've taken three different deliveries - one X, one 3 LR, and one 3 P. Only the LR had some issues to resolve and they were relatively minor.

They dropped off your car? Who signed for it? You're lucky, they couldn't get a semi down my dirt road, so I met them at the West Gardiner rest stop, at their suggestion. D'oh! Zero SOC! Mid-December, last delivery of the day. I had to push my car back on the hauler, and go to the Supercharger 10 miles away. The driver thought the rest stop had a supercharger. He even said he loaded my car with Zero SOC, in the morning. Now it was late afternoon. Yikes. At zero, there's rounding so it may actually have had 0.0 to 0.4% SOC, but no, it was zero. I had to push.

In the end, I charged up for an hour, ate a hamburger, and luckily there's nothing egregiously wrong with the vehicle, even though I had no way to do any kind of inspection under a street light at a supercharger in the middle of Winter.

Home delivery is really a bit of potluck since you have a lot more pressure not to reject a car, cause you're not dealing with a Tesla employee, and they have to put it back on the transporter if you do reject it. They've already got your money, cause you have to pay before they'll ship it to you, etc.

Wow... that is one for the books. At least it was winter so you didn't have to beat off any alligators. :D Glad it worked out of you.

I know they were doing a home delivery for cars bought sight unseen and you had 7 days to make up your mind.

You're lucky, they couldn't get a semi down my dirt road, so I met them at the West Gardiner rest stop, at their suggestion. D'oh! Zero SOC! Mid-December, last delivery of the day. I had to push my car back on the hauler, and go to the Supercharger 10 miles away. The driver thought the rest stop had a supercharger. He even said he loaded my car with Zero SOC, in the morning. Now it was late afternoon. Yikes. At zero, there's rounding so it may actually have had 0.0 to 0.4% SOC, but no, it was zero. I had to push.

That’s really sad... what happened, did the battery have a hole in it and all the electrons leaked out?
Seems amazing they would dispatch a car without charging it at least a little bit :(

-Alex

That’s really sad... what happened, did the battery have a hole in it and all the electrons leaked out?
Seems amazing they would dispatch a car without charging it at least a little bit :(

-Alex
You would think that, wouldn’t you. It clearly hadn’t been looked at since it left the factory. It had bird droppings and it was extremely dusty all over the dash. The Boston delivery center certainly didn’t detail it.

The driver didn’t seem all that concerned. He handed me my keycards, had me sign a paper, and that was it. The car was starting to charge, slowly. I didn’t even show him any ID. I’m lucky nothing was terribly wrong since the SC is 3hrs from me. Still can’t quite believe I got a car without actually talking to anyone from Tesla. My only contact was 8 emails.

Attachments

• 9C24A371-6D32-4DFA-9404-D8E3078B1230.jpeg
    9C24A371-6D32-4DFA-9404-D8E3078B1230.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 329B255D-8C5D-423C-B756-7DB44CEBA55C.jpeg
    329B255D-8C5D-423C-B756-7DB44CEBA55C.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 2D156E47-9EEB-4043-8077-A526A4165EF0.jpeg
    2D156E47-9EEB-4043-8077-A526A4165EF0.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 74E4DE59-68EF-4652-813F-C75D6296357F.jpeg
    74E4DE59-68EF-4652-813F-C75D6296357F.jpeg
    325.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: alexGS
You would think that, wouldn’t you. It clearly hadn’t been looked at since it left the factory. It had bird droppings and it was extremely dusty all over the dash. The Boston delivery center certainly didn’t detail it.

The driver didn’t seem all that concerned. He handed me my keycards, had me sign a paper, and that was it. The car was starting to charge, slowly. I didn’t even show him any ID. I’m lucky nothing was terribly wrong since the SC is 3hrs from me. Still can’t quite believe I got a car without actually talking to anyone from Tesla. My only contact was 8 emails.

Man I wish they still offered the silver version!

That sounds normal. Usually the charge port won't release when the car is asleep. Most people tap the rear door handle to wake it first. You can also hit unlock on the car app for the same effect.

I asked my SC not to detail the car. I didn't want micro scratches all over the new paint - i can clean it better myself. My dash looked the same as yours. There was stringy stuff and dust on various surfaces from the manufacturing process. Nothing a swifter can't pick up in 2 seconds.

Reactions: KenC
Someone backed a truck into the front of my car. The only parts needed were a new headlight assembly and the front logo. It took about three months for Tesla to get those two parts to the body shop. The body shop expressed how far behind Tesla is in providing parts for body repairs. They asserted that other manufacturers would have the parts to their shop in two or three days.

I was in LA over the weekend and met an interesting gentlemen at the auto museum. He informed me that He owned a company that tests cars and has worked with Tesla. He told me the company is having more issues with the 3 because they assemble them under tents outside since it’s extremely busy. I hope the issues are few and far between but thought I would share this info.