Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Model 3 long range rear tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everyone,

I need to replace rear tires for Model 3. Odometer number is at 18K. Discount tire suggested replacing with MCH PRIMACY MX4 . I need some inputs in deciding between Primacy MX4 and PILOT 4S and PILOT 4.

I am inclined to get one with better insulation of road noise, quieter & better mileage.
Would using PILOT 4S or PILOT4 decrease battery performance ?
Is PRIMACY MX4 has better handling and traction?

Completely different tires. Pilot are sportier and such have stickier rubber and will lead to a small decrease in efficiency. If your main goal is quiet and efficiency, stick with the primacy. in either case, for quiet operation, make sure you get the version with the foam.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
HI everyone,

I need to replace rear tires for Model 3. Odometer number is at 18K. Discount tire suggested replacing with MCH PRIMACY MX4 . I need some inputs in deciding between Primacy MX4 and PILOT 4S and PILOT 4.

I am inclined to get one with better insulation of road noise, quieter & better mileage.

the 4S has much better handling, traction, and much shorter braking distance

All of which is due to being a stickier tire- which means worse mileage

The MXM4 stockers are pretty mediocre at just about everything.

Completely different tires. Pilot are sportier and such have stickier rubber and will lead to a small decrease in efficiency. If your main goal is quiet and efficiency, stick with the primacy. in either case, for quiet operation, make sure you get the version with the foam.

yes. My preference is quiet operation and i am ok with losing some efficiency over better handling and traction.

How much of decrease in battery performance can we expecte between PRIMACY and 4S ? is it around ~2-3 % ?

Discount tire said only MIchelin Primacy MX4 has foam in it and PILOT 4S doesn't have any kind of foam that suits tesla Model 3 18.
so I have ordered PRIMACY MX4.
I read some posts regarding having 4S some acuoustic foam. Not sure if they are available for 18" wheel.

I would think this is correct. Tesla only offers the Pilot Sport in 20” so they don’t have a custom “TO” model for the 18. Sounds like you made the right choice.
Michelin does homologate for Tesla a Pilot Sport 4 in 18" with the acoustic foam.

It's a slightly different than Pilot Sport 4S, but very similar in performance

Reactions: vzaitsev
HI everyone,

Please please go to school on my recent experience. Primacy OEM are junk with inner foam. Mine lasted 12,000 miles. You want to install Cross Climate which are #1 rated on tire rack. They are no joke legit in dry and rain and light snow. There is no downside unless you plan to track your car.

Reactions: vzaitsev