Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3: Prices, specs and release date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you think that none are built? Yes, none have been shown to the public, but that says nothing about what they may have build behind closed doors and tested....
Maybe because none have actually been spotted? Real world tests like most manufactures do. It's a valid concern. Seeing defective windshields, wrong color bumpers, interior pieces not attached properly along with other issues still occurring in the last 6 months. These are on Tesla not the suppliers. These are things that really shouldn't be happening. A lot of these issues while small are visually noticeable as the car leaves the factory. Planning on buying a Model 3 it worries me. For some reason it doesn't bother most of you which is strange to me.

Last edited:
Maybe because non have actually been spotted?
That only tells us that they have not driven it on public roads in areas where people is aware of Model 3. And absolutely nothing else. Unlike ICE cars a lot of the early testings can be done inside. No need to put easily spotted mules on the road.

Anyway it's been reported that most of the on road mule/prototype testing of Model 3 has/is been done disguised as Model S.

Seeing defective windshields, wrong color bumpers, interior pieces not attached properly along with other issues still occurring in the last 6 months.
Yes, that type of "problems" is commonly spotted on mules that is on the road to test anything else then the fit an finishing in the last few month before production start. But this is not a problem (except for nervous reservation holders on TMC ;) ) as it is (clearly) not the fit and finish they are out testing. If it really was a problem they would have fixed it before they sent the cars out of the design studio/factory.

The only cars that need to have everything right is the cars that goes out to the customers and showrooms/demo/test cars.

Maybe because none have actually been spotted?

That only tells us that they have not driven it on public roads in areas where people is aware of Model 3.
In all likelyhood they don't even exist yet. They only ordered parts a couple of months ago, so they're probably just now getting those parts delivered. Then they may build a few what would essentially be the beta prototypes, maybe a dozen or so. These will tested indoors, like Model3 said, and when they are outside they'll be heavily camoflauged. The model S was almost a year from the initial reveal to the betas being built, then another 8 months until production deliveries. The model 3 should be a bit faster since they should be better at it, but it does still take time.

Maybe because none have actually been spotted? Real world tests like most manufactures do.
No Chevy Bolts were spotted driving out in the wild until just a few months ago... less than one year before its official debut. Model 3 isn't scheduled to come out until the end of 2017... over a year away. So is GM not not like "most" manufacturer either?
Planning on buying a Model 3 it worries me. For some reason it doesn't bother most of you which is strange to me.
Why worry when you can cancel your reservation and get a refund? You're on the East Coast, so many others on the West will have received their cars already by the time you have to make your go/no go decision. Those earlier owners will report on any issues and provide data to help you decide when your time comes.

Last edited:
No Chevy Bolts were spotted driving out in the wild until just a few months ago... less than one year before its official debut. Model 3 isn't scheduled to come out until the end of 2017... over a year away. So is GM not not like "most" manufacturer either?

Why worry when you can cancel your reservation and get a refund? You're on the East Coast, so many others on the West will have received their cars already by the time you have to make your go/no go decision. Those earlier owners will report on any issues and provide data to help you decide when your time comes.
I'll provide a number of movies as I am going to Fremont to pick mine up and drive it back to Chicago.

Reported where? By whom? News to me...
Well, I read it here at TMC a few days ago, but I can't remember in what thread :p

I *think* it was those with the "Model 3 owner club" - or if it was someone that reported that they ("Model 3 owner club") had reported this "from inside sources"? A bit unsure here ...

But anyways, I can't guarantee that the information is correct, but it did not surprise me when I read it.

Btw: found this that does a lot to answer @Neohippy's question:

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
it's been reported that most of the on road mule/prototype testing of Model 3 has/is been done disguised as Model S.
I can't guarantee that the information is correct
So you don't recall where you read that, but you stated "it's been reported" which makes it sound like you had a reliable source.

And that is how rumors with no basis in fact get started.

Sorry for the TL;DR stream of consciousness post, but......

In regards to Model 3 mule testing....

The Betas are already being tested, indoors, away from prying eyes.

How am I able to come to this hypothesis?

Look at Reveal Part 1.

We expected a picture, or a clay mock-up, or a non-functional model (which we DID actually get...the red one...)

In reality, we got a silver and a matte black Alpha mule.

Do you think those appeared overnight? I highly doubt that. These things were signed off on roughly this time last year. They were pieced together by "hand" (being prototypes, it's not like they were programmed into the robots on the assembly line), and they were tested indoors, and enough of the bugs were worked out of them so that the vehicles performed at least to the expectations of Alpha mules.

So since "pencils down" came in July, and the Gigafactory had a soft opening a few weeks after that..

There are Beta miles driving around in test facilities right now. Those mules have the new generation packs in them. One or more of those mules now have APv2.0 installed.

When we get to Reveal 2.0, Elon will have hard data, and be able to blow GM's 215 mile EPA range out of the water.

As soon as Reveal 2.0 goes down, we will start to see Model 3 mules in various locations across the country. Why? Because this is a mass market vehicle, and you just can't test a New England (or Norther European) winter on a simulator in Fremont.

It's coming soon, because Tesla needs that real world data. "Why can't they just use data from current S/X packs?" Because with the Gigafactory online, Tesla is now on the new packs (or, more accurately, will be for the Model 3). They don't have real world data on those packs' performance in cold weather. By holding Reveal 2.0 in mid December, Elon will achieve:
A. Increased hype and optimism about meeting deadlines for Model 3.
B. the bump in TSLA will make it much easier for Elon to secure additional capital in Q1 for final preps.
C. with the "cat out of the bag" on Model 3, serious testing of the Beta mules can take place. Because, if you've noticed....sightings of the Alpha mules has tapered off in recent weeks.....hmmmmmm......

Anyway....stay patient. It's coming.

Sorry for the TL;DR stream of consciousness post, but......

In regards to Model 3 mule testing....

The Betas are already being tested, indoors, away from prying eyes.

How am I able to come to this hypothesis?

Look at Reveal Part 1.

We expected a picture, or a clay mock-up, or a non-functional model (which we DID actually get...the red one...)

In reality, we got a silver and a matte black Alpha mule.

Do you think those appeared overnight? I highly doubt that. These things were signed off on roughly this time last year. They were pieced together by "hand" (being prototypes, it's not like they were programmed into the robots on the assembly line), and they were tested indoors, and enough of the bugs were worked out of them so that the vehicles performed at least to the expectations of Alpha mules.

So since "pencils down" came in July, and the Gigafactory had a soft opening a few weeks after that..

There are Beta miles driving around in test facilities right now. Those mules have the new generation packs in them. One or more of those mules now have APv2.0 installed.

When we get to Reveal 2.0, Elon will have hard data, and be able to blow GM's 215 mile EPA range out of the water.

As soon as Reveal 2.0 goes down, we will start to see Model 3 mules in various locations across the country. Why? Because this is a mass market vehicle, and you just can't test a New England (or Norther European) winter on a simulator in Fremont.

It's coming soon, because Tesla needs that real world data. "Why can't they just use data from current S/X packs?" Because with the Gigafactory online, Tesla is now on the new packs (or, more accurately, will be for the Model 3). They don't have real world data on those packs' performance in cold weather. By holding Reveal 2.0 in mid December, Elon will achieve:
A. Increased hype and optimism about meeting deadlines for Model 3.
B. the bump in TSLA will make it much easier for Elon to secure additional capital in Q1 for final preps.
C. with the "cat out of the bag" on Model 3, serious testing of the Beta mules can take place. Because, if you've noticed....sightings of the Alpha mules has tapered off in recent weeks.....hmmmmmm......

Anyway....stay patient. It's coming.
What choice does one have other than being patient?

Reactions: Red Sage

Not that I can see everyone as they sit and type...(or CAN I?!?!?!)

but there are some of us on here who come off as a little less patient from time to time. No big deal. Happens to the best of us.

As far as Monday, another thought just popped in my head.

Elon dropped a tweet one day in late August, announcing an impromptu reveal for later that day. It turned out to be the P100D-L.

This time, we got almost a week of advance warning via tweet, of an impending product reveal. My thought is that it's the 100D (non performance). Why the delay? Had to get the EPA numbers back from the Government.

• Informative
1) Bolt....not even a thought for me. -Agree. Yuck
2) Model S...even in its cheapest form, way out of my price range. -I have enough saved up now where I COULD make a low-end Model S work...but I do still want some "creature comfort" options, so I'll wait.
3) Leaf...not even a thought for me. -Nope. Still need to go more than 80 miles at a time on occasion.
4) New Volt...virtually the same car I have now. -My current car, while still an ICE, DOES get over 30MPG when I'm "gentle", and has 320HP when I'm feeling NOT gentle.... :D

One always has the option of choosing the 'PANIC' icon instead, but that typically doesn't go so well.
don__t_panic_by_vigilantmeadow.jpg

free-vector-don-t-panic-clip-art_103946_Dont_Panic_clip_art_hight.png

Reactions: dsvick