Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input. my Model 3 was rear-ended by a F150 yesterday, the person did not even attempt to brake. Long story short, my car would allow me to drive and had to be towed. The rear of my car is severely damaged IMO. After a few hours later I noticed that I could not connect to my car through my phone app. I called and spoke to someone at Tesla to see what was going on but the only answer I got was that my car was "offline". Unfortunately, this happened on the weekend and the person said I would have to call back on Monday to get more details. I currently have no information about my car because everywhere is closed, the body shop and my car insurance company is closed on the weekends so I have no updates regarding anything. The whole situation is just a huge pain. I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with the car not being able to drive after the accident and if it has ever went "offline". Does this mean the car is totaled?

Thanks!

Drew

I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with the car not being able to drive after the accident and if it has ever went "offline". Does this mean the car is totaled?

Did any airbags go off? If so, that disables the car, by blowing the pyro fuse in the battery pack, which will end up with the 12v running out of "juice" a few hours later. (Rendering your car offline.) And no, that doesn't automatically mean that it is totaled.

• Informative
Reactions: 5150 and jjrandorin
Sorry to hear, do you have any pictures?
Thanks for the response this one of the pictures I have on hand.

Attachments

• D437AF12-3C68-4DE2-A6B8-47E7B4281ED2.jpeg
    D437AF12-3C68-4DE2-A6B8-47E7B4281ED2.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 2,097
Did any airbags go off? If so, that disables the car, by blowing the pyro fuse in the battery pack, which will end up with the 12v running out of "juice" a few hours later. (Rendering your car offline.) And no, that doesn't automatically mean that it is totaled.
Thanks for the reply. Nope, none of my airbags went off..

I hope for your sake that baby is totaled. Based on other posts I've seen probably will be.

Standard practice is to disconnect main battery if the car didn't already do it.

12V battery won't last long and might have been shutdown as well.

I assume in your first post you meant that the car did NOT allow you to drive. Because you definitely do not even if it did allow it.
Coolant systems can leak etc.

Good luck.

I hope for your sake that baby is totaled. Based on other posts I've seen probably will be.

Standard practice is to disconnect main battery if the car didn't already do it.

12V battery won't last long and might have been shutdown as well.

I assume in your first post you meant that the car did NOT allow you to drive. Because you definitely do not even if it did allow it.
Coolant systems can leak etc.

Good luck.
Wow! I hope no one was hurt.

My Model 3 was rear-ended last week. It went offline immediately after the accident. The Tesla-authorized body shop just ordered some rear parts (See attached). Yesterday the body shop told me that they did not expect the vehicle was not drivable after this level of accident and had to ask Tesla to help move the car... I hope they can total this.

Attachments

• PartsOrder.PNG
    PartsOrder.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 692
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some input. my Model 3 was rear-ended by a F150 yesterday, the person did not even attempt to brake. Long story short, my car would allow me to drive and had to be towed. The rear of my car is severely damaged IMO. After a few hours later I noticed that I could not connect to my car through my phone app. I called and spoke to someone at Tesla to see what was going on but the only answer I got was that my car was "offline". Unfortunately, this happened on the weekend and the person said I would have to call back on Monday to get more details. I currently have no information about my car because everywhere is closed, the body shop and my car insurance company is closed on the weekends so I have no updates regarding anything. The whole situation is just a huge pain. I wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience with the car not being able to drive after the accident and if it has ever went "offline". Does this mean the car is totaled?

Thanks!

Drew
How long did it take for your car to repair? And how much did it cost? I’m in a similar boat with my Model Y. Current estimates are $12K for me.

This rear end estimate is up to $19k. Interesting part of the repair list includes cracked Subwoofer and cracked Amplifier and includes structural components.
Happened May 2. Earliest we could book it in for Tesla repair May 25. Estimated completion of repair - July 15.
Nearly 3 months!
Moral(s) of the story:
1. Tesla repair still sucks
2. Do not get hit by a 70 yo on her phone whilst you are minding your own business sitting at a red traffic light.
3. Don't get hit by anyone.

IMG_3988.jpeg

Reactions: calidreamz808
May I know if that is something that you can request to do?
It’s common for repair shops to sometimes quote less on a repair initially. When the repair starts, additional parts maybe needed, raising the cost of repair. If I were you, I’d take it to a couple other repair shops and see if you can get a higher quote. I’d also personally inspect the repair order and see if there’s additional components that need to be repaired, hopefully raising the expected cost to repair.
I’ve seen a couple of model 3s that were initially not totaled, but ended up being totaled out once repair started due to rising costs.
If you need any help, feel free to DM me.

My Model 3 was rear-ended last week. It went offline immediately after the accident. The Tesla-authorized body shop just ordered some rear parts (See attached). Yesterday the body shop told me that they did not expect the vehicle was not drivable after this level of accident and had to ask Tesla to help move the car... I hope they can total this.
Looks primarily cosmetic, so I'd say probably not considering the parts. Look for structural damage (damage to the frame) or damage to the battery or sensors. Those are expensive.