Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Rear Wing?

What do you think?

• Thumbs up

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Thumbs down

Votes: 53 72.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wings.png

That's nice work you did there. Personally I would go for an "integrated" approach design. I'd go with the above design if it was able to be tuned/adjusted and I have to bring my M3 on the track.

Thanks for the feedback. I am always open for criticism and advise for improvements.
Not sure what you mean by "integrated approach design" though.

Thanks for the feedback. I am always open for criticism and advise for improvements.
Not sure what you mean by "integrated approach design" though.

What I mean with the "integrated" one is the one that attaches to the trunk. I don't like this design but just showing you what I mean.694040 | 3DCarbon Rear Aero Spoiler Telsa Model 3 17-19

You can also see one from Tesla | Mountain Pass Performance

It's pretty cool what you did there, did you use CAD to design the spoiler?

Reactions: chojn1
I think it's a wonderful effort, and will have a market. Would probably like it more if it can be proven to improve aerodynamics/range, etc. Doesn't mesh with me personally though.
Wings (airfoils) always add drag. They cannot possibly improve aerodynamics and range, but rather do the opposite. Their only purpose is to create downforce.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of this wing? I'm not critical of your enthusiastic design efforts, but the question is whether the drag caused by the wing placed as shown will be acceptable to the wing user as reduced range from the drag it produces will occur. Range will take the biggest hit at speed from the turbulence the wing causes.

If you really want to produce significant down thrust (80-100 mph or greater), positioning the wing aft of the rear of the car and about 15" above the deck will significantly improve its performance, but, again, at a cost in range. At that point, with an efficient wing, you need a splitter in the front to balance the downforce on the car otherwise increased understeer will be experienced.

Reactions: chojn1
The wing is the first part of a design exercise to transform the look of the 3. It will have a speed sensitive lowering mechanism powered by dual motors in the rear trunk. Designed to increase downforce to the rear wheels for launch and cornering and can be lowered to minimize the effects on range and top speed.
This is to be followed by a new front face to balance the new rear down force, wider fenders to accommodate wider tires, side skirt, and a new rear diffuser.
I got a little excited at how the wing turned out and decided to share before the design is completed. A little bit out of context here, but I thought the design could stand on its own merit.
Thanks for all the inputs.
CJ

Last edited:
The wing is the first part of a design exercise to transform the look of the 3. It will have a speed sensitive lowering mechanism powered by dual motors in the rear trunk. Designed to increase downforce to the rear wheels for launch and cornering and can be lowered to minimize the effects on range and top speed.
This is to be followed by a new front face to balance the new rear down force, wider fenders to accommodate wider tires, side skirt, and a new rear diffuser.
I got a little excited at how the wing turned out and decided to share before the design is completed. A little bit out of context here, but I thought the design could stand on its own merit.
Thanks for all the inputs.
CJ

Did NOT know it was a dynamic spoiler/airfoil! ME LIKEY! But of course this would then become insanely expensive and labor intensive to build and install, no (in addition to the other modifications)? Sadly, not something I would invest in as I don't take my car to the track, and I'm beyond the age where I feel the need to smoke other cars on the streets.