Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus now gets Streaming, Satellite Maps, and Web?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. All four of the A-pillar speakers/tweeters are disabled, as well as the two rear shelf speakers. I know because I just installed an amp and wiring to enable them.

Hmmm, I did some reading and it seems that I might have gotten a gift from Tesla. All of my speakers work.
Just no sub, (I checked) but according to this page: First look: Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, compare audio with premium sound I should only have 8 working speakers.

So thank you Tesla! :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Hmmm, I did some reading and it seems that I might have gotten a gift from Tesla. All of my speakers work.
Just no sub, (I checked) but according to this page: First look: Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, compare audio with premium sound I should only have 8 working speakers.

So thank you Tesla! :)

Just to confirm, there are 4 speakers in the dash, 2 at the corner of the A pillar, 2 in the middle of the A pillar, 2 in the rear door panels, 2 in behind the rear passenger seats, and 1 subwoofer for premium audio, right?

Partial premium is meant to only have the 4 in the dash, 2 at the corner of the A pillar, and 2 in the rear door panels, right? How hard was it to check the remaining speakers were operational?

Just to confirm, there are 4 speakers in the dash, 2 at the corner of the A pillar, 2 in the middle of the A pillar, 2 in the rear door panels, 2 in behind the rear passenger seats, and 1 sub-woofer for premium audio, right?

Partial premium is meant to only have the 4 in the dash, 2 at the corner of the A pillar, and 2 in the rear door panels, right? How hard was it to check the remaining speakers were operational?

For me it wasn't difficult at all. I did it shortly after I bought the car in April. Just assumed that since all of mine worked that everyone else would have the same experience. The only speaker that my car is missing is the rear sub-woofer that is located in the trunk of the premium interior.

Just to confirm, there are 4 speakers in the dash, 2 at the corner of the A pillar, 2 in the middle of the A pillar, 2 in the rear door panels, 2 in behind the rear passenger seats, and 1 subwoofer for premium audio, right?

My July SR+ seems to only have the front dash and the rear. If the A-Pillar ones work they basically don’t do ANYTHING as my audio is drastically below head level. It still sounds good, but seeing those A-Pillars looking me in the face makes me go crazy wishing I could have those work...

My July SR+ seems to only have the front dash and the rear. If the A-Pillar ones work they basically don’t do ANYTHING as my audio is drastically below head level. It still sounds good, but seeing those A-Pillars looking me in the face makes me go crazy wishing I could have those work...

Me as well. I'd consider paying something like $1,000 for an interior upgrade if it included a physical subwoofer install, and enabling the extra ambient lights and rear heated seats.

For me it wasn't difficult at all. I did it shortly after I bought the car in April. Just assumed that since all of mine worked that everyone else would have the same experience. The only speaker that my car is missing is the rear sub-woofer that is located in the trunk of the premium interior.

not sure how that's possible because there is also an amp missing in which they plug into so what are they plugged into then?

I'll make a post here soon with photos of how I did it. I pulled signal from the rear door speakers (fairly easy to access).

That would be awesome!!! I'm most interested in getting the speakers working as easily and cleanly as possible, with minimal removal of panels, carpet, seats etc. I've seen a post detailing this with a subwoofer and that's honestly more than I'm after as the for my tastes it has nice bass now and can only get better when the rear deck speakers are activated.

-Stach

I see A LOOOOT of mis information in here regarding the SR/SR+ audio. Here's the dirty low down:

The car has the 3 front full range plus tweeter, 2 front door woofers, 2 rear door woofers....

NOW THE FUN PART! Tesla was lazy and physically left the front corner window tweeters , A pillars, and rear shelf speakers in, but guess what? the wires are NOT connected.

NO you will not get an update to connect them, No you will not have a Tesla tech install them because the rear premium sub also has a separate AMP. the SR wiring harness is completely different. No way in hell Tesla would waste money or time giving you a workaround.

Your best bet is to tap into the dis-connected wire speakers and power them all with a Class D 5.1 amp. Connnect to power under seat and enjoy for under $350 worth of stuff (used amp)

I see A LOOOOT of mis information in here regarding the SR/SR+ audio. Here's the dirty low down:

The car has the 3 front full range plus tweeter, 2 front door woofers, 2 rear door woofers....

NOW THE FUN PART! Tesla was lazy and physically left the front corner window tweeters , A pillars, and rear shelf speakers in, but guess what? the wires are NOT connected.

NO you will not get an update to connect them, No you will not have a Tesla tech install them because the rear premium sub also has a separate AMP. the SR wiring harness is completely different. No way in hell Tesla would waste money or time giving you a workaround.

Your best bet is to tap into the dis-connected wire speakers and power them all with a Class D 5.1 amp. Connnect to power under seat and enjoy for under $350 worth of stuff (used amp)

How do you get input for the aftermarket amp? Splice from line level output of existing amp? Tap into filtered and processed output going to existing speakers? How would you integrate it to the HU processing? sounds like a mess

They sent mobile techs out to physically wire up and install Home Link garage openers. I think they can manage an amp for an extra cost.

No,.please stop spreading mis-information. The home link wire is dangling in the car as a plug and okay solution and a quick software unlock.

The speakers and wire harness are all wired completely different. A service tech would require not one but two entirely new wiring harnesses, and would have to remove the entire right side of the car. It's not happening so please stop spreading false information.

How do you get input for the aftermarket amp? Splice from line level output of existing amp? Tap into filtered and processed output going to existing speakers? How would you integrate it to the HU processing? sounds like a mess

It's super easy, any class D amp will have a low pass and hi pass input. You T splice into one of the front full range speakers and one into the front door woofer (for the sub line input).

It's incredibly easy. Took me about 3 hours and DAMN the audio is good in this car.

No,.please stop spreading mis-information. The home link wire is dangling in the car as a plug and okay solution and a quick software unlock.

The speakers and wire harness are all wired completely different. A service tech would require not one but two entirely new wiring harnesses, and would have to remove the entire right side of the car. It's not happening so please stop spreading false information.

They remove the entire front of the car to install the Home Link. There are pictures on Reddit: https://i.redd.it/xsd66mqls9t21.jpg Excellent installation of the automatic garage door opener by Jason from the Phoenix mobile tech team today! : teslamotors

I don't know why you'd accuse me of trying to spread misinformation in this regard.

They remove the entire front of the car to install the Home Link. There are pictures on Reddit: https://i.redd.it/xsd66mqls9t21.jpg Excellent installation of the automatic garage door opener by Jason from the Phoenix mobile tech team today! : teslamotors

I don't know why you'd accuse me of trying to spread misinformation in this regard.

I meant in regards to 'possible' speaker upgrade from a service tech, it's never going to happen. I would hate for someone to get the car and have the hopes of getting premium sound later on.

Yea I'm aware of how it's installed but it's a bracket and a wire sitting there 'plug and play'

I meant mi