Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - US vs Europe charging [moving a tesla from usa to europe]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will retire soon and move to Europe. Can anyone clarify me if I can take my Model 3 over there and run it?
It's not worth it. The charge port is different, warranties are not honored in other markets, the mobile data won't work, etc. There are workarounds for most of these issues, but if you're moving permanently, just sell the car and buy another that is intended for the market where you're living.

I will retire soon and move to Europe. Can anyone clarify me if I can take my Model 3 over there and run it?
The North American charger is completely different. However, you can buy a chademo adapter and use that exclusivley(50 kw max) or wait until Tesla releases a ccs adapter(if ever) in which case you’d be able to use the Tesla model 3 cc’d super chargers and a plethora of other ccs chargers. Idk bro I think it might be best to do what the others are saying, unless you can swap out the sim card(difficult-impossible) or figure out a way with Tesla.

I’m considering shipping my Tesla if my next assignment is there, you have had no issues with using your US model there, what adapter do you use? Do Supercharging stations recognize your vehicle, how does that work? Stateside I just plug and charge. Thanks

I’m considering shipping my Tesla if my next assignment is there, you have had no issues with using your US model there, what adapter do you use? Do Supercharging stations recognize your vehicle, how does that work? Stateside I just plug and charge. Thanks
I think you may not have caught this: the charging plugs and ports are entirely different between the North America Teslas and the European versions for both the cars and the Superchargers. So if you bring an American Tesla over to Europe, you won't even be able to plug in to the Superchargers in Europe. And all of the public charging stations use the Type 2 plug (used to be called Mennekes), which won't fit your car's charge port. It's a big old pain. About the only thing that is common and would work is CHAdeMO if you have the adapter, because that is the same worldwide. But CHAdeMO stations are a bit rare in Europe, as CCS is much more common.

A little late, but I moved to Germany with the Army and tried to bring my Model S (because the Tesla sales people said it would work). It wont. Dont even bother. As said before, sell locally and buy another if you want when you get there.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
A little late, but I moved to Germany with the Army and tried to bring my Model S (because the Tesla sales people said it would work). It wont. Dont even bother. As said before, sell locally and buy another if you want when you get there.

What base are you at? I have my US Spec Model 3 in Ktown and doing it all just fine with an adapter for supercharging. Regular charging, you can use any wall outlet. Nav, LTE doesn't work and Tesla won't help.

There's a group on the Ukraine who make an adapter for supercharging. I can supercharge no issue with the adapter. My account gets billed and all. It's a slight inconvenience but I have not had any issues with the several road trips I have done over the summer. I have a Chademo adapter, type 2 to Tesla (for level 2 charging,) and I have only ever really used the supercharger adapter. Chademo and the like are far more expensive than superchargers.

I think you may not have caught this: the charging plugs and ports are entirely different between the North America Teslas and the European versions for both the cars and the Superchargers. So if you bring an American Tesla over to Europe, you won't even be able to plug in to the Superchargers in Europe. And all of the public charging stations use the Type 2 plug (used to be called Mennekes), which won't fit your car's charge port. It's a big old pain. About the only thing that is common and would work is CHAdeMO if you have the adapter, because that is the same worldwide. But CHAdeMO stations are a bit rare in Europe, as CCS is much more common.

A vast majority of the superchargers still have type 2 connectors which with an adapter, you can plug into and charge a US Spec Tesla no issue. Source: Been doing it for almost 2 years now and not really a big issue.

Dashbush -- so what about the OTA updates, music connects etc.?
@Dasbush121 - I am also curious about this question - did you have to get a new SIM card installed? How much did that cost?
Separately, specifically what adapter do you use for supercharging, also for other charging stations? How many sets of adapters are you carrying around and how much did it all cost? :) Is it really bothersome, inconvenient?
Thanks!

@Dasbush121 - I am also curious about this question - did you have to get a new SIM card installed? How much did that cost?
Separately, specifically what adapter do you use for supercharging, also for other charging stations? How many sets of adapters are you carrying around and how much did it all cost? :) Is it really bothersome, inconvenient?
Thanks!

I mainly use one adapter since I only ever supercharge when traveling. I have others for type 2 to Tesla for level 2 chargers and a chademo. Used the chademo and others once. No new sim since it's a different modem and won't work on EU freqs but I just use my phone as a hotspot for loading maps (Nav does not work and Tesla won't load EU nav on US cars.) It's not too inconvenient until they replace all the v2 superchargers with v3 but hopefully I'm gone by that time.

For updates, I had to fill out a pdf and send to Tesla. I just recently had them install hw3 which surprised me that they'd do it here but I guess it took Tesla US forever to approve it.

If you are coming under SOFA status with the military to Europe. It's no issue. But if you are trying to come under anything else, you have a whole lot more to do to get the car to meet regs here, safety, lights, etc.

I mainly use one adapter since I only ever supercharge when traveling. I have others for type 2 to Tesla for level 2 chargers and a chademo. Used the chademo and others once. No new sim since it's a different modem and won't work on EU freqs but I just use my phone as a hotspot for loading maps (Nav does not work and Tesla won't load EU nav on US cars.) It's not too inconvenient until they replace all the v2 superchargers with v3 but hopefully I'm gone by that time.

For updates, I had to fill out a pdf and send to Tesla. I just recently had them install hw3 which surprised me that they'd do it here but I guess it took Tesla US forever to approve it.

If you are coming under SOFA status with the military to Europe. It's no issue. But if you are trying to come under anything else, you have a whole lot more to do to get the car to meet regs here, safety, lights, etc.
I think you just covered everything and put the nail in the coffin for me, unfortunately :(
Clearly, it will be too much of a hassle and too many inconveniences that will degrade the ownership experience in a major way.
Will need to sell and find something else out there.
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Hey everyone. I am getting orders to ramstein in august 2022. My 2017 model S is paid off, so selling it financially is not an option. I had some questions: 1) I am reading the superchargers are ccs2. So if I get a ccs2 to tesla USA adapter, will that work for all superchargers? Or do I need something else? 2) I have unlimited supercharging, will I keep this when I get there? 3) if I can’t get to a supercharger and I desperately need a charge, what do you recommended adapter or plug I also should get to carry with me so I can charge my car? Thanks y’all!

Hey everyone. I am getting orders to ramstein in august 2022. My 2017 model S is paid off, so selling it financially is not an option. I had some questions: 1) I am reading the superchargers are ccs2. So if I get a ccs2 to tesla USA adapter, will that work for all superchargers? Or do I need something else? 2) I have unlimited supercharging, will I keep this when I get there? 3) if I can’t get to a supercharger and I desperately need a charge, what do you recommended adapter or plug I also should get to carry with me so I can charge my car? Thanks y’all!
The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is the fastest fully supported way to charge a North American Tesla in Europe. There are third party Supercharger adapters available from Eastern Europe. I have no idea how reliable they are.

You will also want to buy a Type-2 to Type-1 cable for public charging stations. That cable along with the J1772 adapter you already have will allow you to use socketed public charging stations common in Europe. You can also buy a Blue socket adapter for your Mobile Connector if you have access to such an outlet. These are available in 16A and 32A versions.

Example J1772 cable for socketed public stations:

Example 32A Blue "Commando Plug" adapter for Gen2 Mobile Connector: