Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - US vs Europe charging [moving a tesla from usa to europe]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I am getting orders to ramstein in august 2022.
I had to read this a couple of times to figure out what you meant. I thought you were getting purchase orders for some kind of products to or from Ramstein. And I saw your location was California and wondered why you were getting things shipped there.
Now I get it: military orders for you to move to Ramstein.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is the fastest fully supported way to charge a North American Tesla in Europe. There are third party Supercharger adapters available from Eastern Europe. I have no idea how reliable they are.
Well, fully, officially, OEM supported, yes.
However, EVSEAdapters sells a lot of really good products, so I trust them a lot with what they offer and sell. On their international adapters page, they do sell an adapter that will go from European Superchargers (the Version 2 only) to the U.S. car charge port. I mention it's the version 2 Superchargers only, because those have dual cables: the modified Type2 plug that they used to use and the CCS2. On the V3 Superchargers, they only have CCS2 cables, and this adapter doesn't fit that.

So, this might be an option, but it's backordered right now and $777.

The North American charger is completely different. However, you can buy a chademo adapter and use that exclusivley(50 kw max) or wait until Tesla releases a ccs adapter(if ever) in which case you’d be able to use the Tesla model 3 cc’d super chargers and a plethora of other ccs chargers. Idk bro I think it might be best to do what the others are saying, unless you can swap out the sim card(difficult-impossible) or figure out a way with Tesla.

there is actually an adapter for USA teslas to supercharge in europe!
i think some guy in austria makes it.

but either way, not worth the hassle

Hey everyone. I am getting orders to ramstein in august 2022. My 2017 model S is paid off, so selling it financially is not an option. I had some questions: 1) I am reading the superchargers are ccs2. So if I get a ccs2 to tesla USA adapter, will that work for all superchargers? Or do I need something else? 2) I have unlimited supercharging, will I keep this when I get there? 3) if I can’t get to a supercharger and I desperately need a charge, what do you recommended adapter or plug I also should get to carry with me so I can charge my car? Thanks y’all!

Not sure on the S but with my 3, I used a type 2 to Tesla supercharger adapter (DC only!) for 3 years. I recently changed my charge port ECU to the EU one and have since started using a CCS2 adapter instead of the type 2. Able to fully utilize the speed of V3 chargers now with this.

You will continue to have unlimited supercharging in the EU.

I haven't run into the situation of desperately needing a charge but when I go on roadtrips. Several thousand mile road trips in the last 3 years. I take my UMC and a type 2 to Tesla cable for AC charging. I recommend trying to find an old UMC or HPWC where the car connector is still good but the box isn't so you can have the other end converted to type 2, 8ft min since most of the public chargers out here don't have cables. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to talk more. I am in the Ramstein area as well.

People saying it's not worth it, his cars paid off and we have ways to travel without issue. I would love an S with free supercharging to travel out here. I owed a bit on my 3 when I shipped it, was 100% worth bringing it over.

Last edited:
Apologies if I am doing this incorrectly but, as I do not know how to create a new post, I am answering this one as it's subject is close to what my post would be. I am moving from the US to Antigua Barbuda for 2 years to attend medical school and will be shipping my 2022 Model 3 Performance to use whilst on the island. I will be moving back to the States in 2 years. The home I will be renting on the island has 110V and the landlord is installing a 220v 30 AMP electrical outlet to allow charging. I have attached a pic of the outlet I sent to him here. I understand from replies to a different post that swapping the SD card will be necessary to allow NAV and the Sleep function of the vehicle to work. Any other suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
220v electrical outlet.jpg

the landlord is installing a 220v 30 AMP electrical outlet to allow charging. I have attached a pic of the outlet I sent to him here.
There is something mismatched and not right in either your description or the hardware. That is not a 30A outlet type. That is a 14-50, which should be on either a 40 or 50A circuit. If the breaker and wire are really made for 30A, this isn't the right outlet. This needs to be switched to a 30A outlet type. And since that is wrong, I wouldn't trust what wires are in there. I would want to see that opened up and pictures of how many wires and what thickness they are to make a recommendation of how to fix this.

There is something mismatched and not right in either your description or the hardware. That is not a 30A outlet type. That is a 14-50, which should be on either a 40 or 50A circuit. If the breaker and wire are really made for 30A, this isn't the right outlet. This needs to be switched to a 30A outlet type. And since that is wrong, I wouldn't trust what wires are in there. I would want to see that opened up and pictures of how many wires and what thickness they are to make a recommendation of how to fix this.
I think you are right about the circuit. I recall the description of the outlet is NEMA 14-50. The pic I posted is of the outlet I have been using for 2 years so I know it is good. I just want to make sure the landlord in Antigua installs the correct outlet/circuit.