Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Vampire Drain (aka loosing mileage when stationary)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, now that the temperature is below 0C there is a phantom drain of about 5km-10km a day. But this is purely due to the weather as no settings or updates have been performed. So it is just the weather - either the car is heating the battery or the cells just don't like the cold.

I will try and make a video over a longer period to see what is going on.

While some of the vampire drain is likely due to the settings you highlighted, I think that there is also a bug in the most recent firmware contributing as well for some people, so may not always be as simple as changing settings . Since updating to 2019.32.x, I've noticed massive vampire drain (20-25 miles per 24 hours). All of my settings are as detailed above with the exception that I have wifi turned on, which I need for updates, etc. These are the same settings I had before the update to 2019.32.x and was previously experiencing drain of approximately 1mi/day. When the car is parked in my garage, it cannot connect to LTE or obtain location data and I suspect that it is continually trying to connect which is draining the battery. Perhaps they changed the way the car functions in regards to connectivity and location in preparation for smart summon? I have both a model 3 and a model x and both cars have been experiencing this significant drain since updating to 2019.32.x. There is no drain during the day when parked at work with both LTE and location connectivity.
What I find amazing is that it takes less battery to drive a 4,100 lb car for 5 miles than it does to be parked outside overnight in 78 degree F weather. Or even while it's on the charger overnight it's still using power to keep the car at desired charge.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
What I find amazing is that it takes less battery to drive a 4,100 lb car for 5 miles than it does to be parked outside overnight in 78 degree F weather. Or even while it's on the charger overnight it's still using power to keep the car at desired charge.

It is kind of amusing, I suppose. It is a colossal amount of energy - especially if you are talking about feature drain too - but even vampire drain is a ton of energy each day, if it has been optimized to 1-2mi per day by the end user.