Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Winter Tire Package questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're talking about about the Tesla packages, it various by size. 18" and 20" packages come with Sottozero 2, 19" comes with Sottozero 3. Last winter, I went with Sottozero 3s in size 245/45-18 and was very pleased with the performance.

Ya, sorry, I meant the 18s. I wonder why they come with the older Sottozero 2s.... it sounds like 3s have been around for awhile. Guess I’m back hunting down some decent looking 18 Aero wheels, TPMS, and caps and getting the Bridgestone WS90s.

I wish Tesla just sold the wheels/TPMS/aero caps. Buying used looks like I’ll be damn near $2k after its all said and done anyway, and will have to live with used wheels (which most seem to be in good condition, but they all at least have one or two curb rashes :-/)

Ya, sorry, I meant the 18s. I wonder why they come with the older Sottozero 2s.... it sounds like 3s have been around for awhile. Guess I’m back hunting down some decent looking 18 Aero wheels, TPMS, and caps and getting the Bridgestone WS90s.

I wish Tesla just sold the wheels/TPMS/aero caps. Buying used looks like I’ll be damn near $2k after its all said and done anyway, and will have to live with used wheels (which most seem to be in good condition, but they all at least have one or two curb rashes :-/)
The Sottozero 3s aren't available in the stock size of 235/45-18 in an XL load range; the Sottozero 2s are. I wanted the newer tire, so I stepped up one size to a 245/45-18 which is available in an XL load range. Also, I think a little more ground clearance, taller sidewall, and rim protection are helpful in winter weather.

The Sottozero 2s and 3s are both performance winter tires, while the WS90s are full on studless ice and snow tires. The Sottozeros give up a little bit to the WS90s in ice and snow, but they're much better in the wet and dry conditions. They also have much better steering response and handling. I think it depends on what the conditions are like where you are. If you have to deal with near constant snow and ice, go with the WS90s; if you have a mixture of conditions like where I live in Colorado, the Sottozeros are much more satisfying.

In fact, I much prefer the Sottozero 3s to the Stock Michelin Primacy MXM4s; they handle better, are slightly quieter or at least no louder, and ride a bit better as well. If hot temperatures wouldn't finish them off too quickly, I'd run them all the time.

Here's a link to a long thread from last winter talking about snow tires - Which Snows and Why Poll?

Last edited:
The Sottozero 3s aren't available in the stock size of 235/45-18 in an XL load range; the Sottozero 2s are. I wanted the newer tire, so I stepped up one size to a 245/45-18 which is available in an XL load range. Also, I think a little more ground clearance, taller sidewall, and rim protection are helpful in winter weather.

The Sottozero 2s and 3s are both performance winter tires, while the WS90s are full on studless ice and snow tires. The Sottozeros give up a little bit to the WS90s in ice and snow, but they're much better in the wet and dry conditions. They also have much better steering response and handling. I think it depends on what the conditions are like where you are. If you have to deal with near constant snow and ice, go with the WS90s; if you have a mixture of conditions like where I live in Colorado, the Sottozeros are much more satisfying.

In fact, I much prefer the Sottozero 3s to the Stock Michelin Primacy MXM4s; they handle better, are slightly quieter or at least no louder, and ride a bit better as well. If hot temperatures wouldn't finish them off too quickly, I'd run them all the time.

Here's a link to a long thread from last winter talking about snow tires - Which Snows and Why Poll?

I forgot about the extra load rating.... I’m not sure if the WS90s are sold in the extra load... hmmm.

We don’t get a lot of snow, maybe 5 to 10 days a year. However, when we DO get snow the roads are usually CRAP because we only have a couple plows that hit just the highways and a few main roads. Last year we had ~8 to 14 inches of snow hanging around on the side roads for over a week before plows could get around. Obviously ground clearance would be an issue, but Blizzaks on my Volt never left me stuck in deep snow/slush and glazed ice.

I do kind of want the convenience of just ordering via Tesla and getting perfect quality wheels, aero caps, TPMS, the whole deal.

Second question, I’m ~2.5 hours drive from a Tesla service center... if I ordered, could a mobile ranger come and install them (or hell, just deliver them)? I would be expecting to be charged for this since it isn’t a warranty issue, but if it was an extra $100 to $200 or something that might be worth it instead of a 4 to 5 hour round trip... and that’s even if 4 mounted tires on Tesla 18” wheels will FIT in the Model 3 to carry home...

I forgot about the extra load rating.... I’m not sure if the WS90s are sold in the extra load... hmmm.

We don’t get a lot of snow, maybe 5 to 10 days a year. However, when we DO get snow the roads are usually CRAP because we only have a couple plows that hit just the highways and a few main roads. Last year we had ~8 to 14 inches of snow hanging around on the side roads for over a week before plows could get around. Obviously ground clearance would be an issue, but Blizzaks on my Volt never left me stuck in deep snow/slush and glazed ice.

I do kind of want the convenience of just ordering via Tesla and getting perfect quality wheels, aero caps, TPMS, the whole deal.

Second question, I’m ~2.5 hours drive from a Tesla service center... if I ordered, could a mobile ranger come and install them (or hell, just deliver them)? I would be expecting to be charged for this since it isn’t a warranty issue, but if it was an extra $100 to $200 or something that might be worth it instead of a 4 to 5 hour round trip... and that’s even if 4 mounted tires on Tesla 18” wheels will FIT in the Model 3 to carry home...
There was one crazy day this last winter that started out nice in the morning, but snow came in around 10:00. The result was that the initial snow melted, but then as more snow continued to fall, all the streets iced over with black ice and then another 4 to 6 inches of snow fell on top of that. Conditions simply don't get much worse than that. The only cars able to drive that day were 4WD or AWD with snow tires or something close. I saw plenty of cars and trucks sliding off the road at less than 5MPH with all 4 tires locked up or spinning. 2WD cars, even on Blizzaks, didn't stand a chance. I had to go slow, but my Model 3 on the Sottozero 3s was one of the few cars I saw able to make it through it all. I'd say that only about 10% to 15% of all the cars out there were able to make progress, and this is in an area where most people have snow tires or at least decent all seasons with AWD. I think the only difference Blizzaks would have made is that I could have gone 11 or 12 MPH instead of 10MPH.

I don't know if a mobile ranger would install the wheels or tires for you, or if there'd be any charge to do so. If you flip the back seats down, 4 tires and wheels fit easy in a Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: acarney
There was one crazy day this last winter that started out nice in the morning, but snow came in around 10:00. The result was that the initial snow melted, but then as more snow continued to fall, all the streets iced over with black ice and then another 4 to 6 inches of snow fell on top of that. Conditions simply don't get much worse than that. The only cars able to drive that day were 4WD or AWD with snow tires or something close. I saw plenty of cars and trucks sliding off the road at less than 5MPH with all 4 tires locked up or spinning. 2WD cars, even on Blizzaks, didn't stand a chance. I had to go slow, but my Model 3 on the Sottozero 3s was one of the few cars I saw able to make it through it all. I'd say that only about 10% to 15% of all the cars out there were able to make progress, and this is in an area where most people have snow tires or at least decent all seasons with AWD. I think the only difference Blizzaks would have made is that I could have gone 11 or 12 MPH instead of 10MPH.

I don't know if a mobile ranger would install the wheels or tires for you, or if there'd be any charge to do so. If you flip the back seats down, 4 tires and wheels fit easy in a Model 3.

Problem is, I would be getting Sottozero 2s from Tesla, not the 3s. If I don’t get the tire and wheel package I’m in the same boat is having to piece together a set of wheels, TPMS, aero caps, and then order tires.

Problem is, I would be getting Sottozero 2s from Tesla, not the 3s. If I don’t get the tire and wheel package I’m in the same boat is having to piece together a set of wheels, TPMS, aero caps, and then order tires.
You could just swap the tires on to your existing rims. It has its pluses and minuses, but that way you could wait for the right deal on a used set of rims with TPMS and aero caps.

They do, $200 each for the wheels, did not ask about tpms or caps. Walked into local parts department and asked. Don't know how easily parts department can be reached via phone.

They do, $200 each for the wheels, did not ask about tpms or caps. Walked into local parts department and asked. Don't know how easily parts department can be reached via phone.

$200 would be a great price if they would sell me four. That appears to be the going rate for used ones on eBay and such. I’ll see how far I can get with calls... but anyone in the Spokane, WA area (does that service center order parts?) or Seattle area wanna DM me and help me out by being the “guy on the ground” to inquire and order 4 x aero wheels, TPMS, aero caps? Obviously I’ll paypal you or Venmo the money before hand and what, maybe $50 for your time? :)

Thanks for all the info!

I just realized another issue though... the WS90s aren’t rated for XL. The 235x45R18 are only 94 (1477 pounds/tire). Is that enough?

The Sottozero II are XL at 1653 pounds....

Maybe that’s why they are the only winter tires listed compatible for the Model 3 on TireRack... :-/

Thanks for all the info!

I just realized another issue though... the WS90s aren’t rated for XL. The 235x45R18 are only 94 (1477 pounds/tire). Is that enough?

The Sottozero II are XL at 1653 pounds....

Maybe that’s why they are the only winter tires listed compatible for the Model 3 on TireRack... :-/
You can go up a size to 245/45-18. The WS90s are XL in that size. With only 5 to 10 days a year of snow however, I really think you'd be happier with the Sottozero 3s than the WS90s. In ice and snow, I really doubt that there's anywhere you could go on the WS90s that you couldn't go on the Sottozero 3s, and in wet and dry conditions which you'll drive in the vast majority of the time, the Pirellis will stop much shorter and handle much better.

You can go up a size to 245/45-18. The WS90s are XL in that size. With only 5 to 10 days a year of snow however, I really think you'd be happier with the Sottozero 3s than the WS90s. In ice and snow, I really doubt that there's anywhere you could go on the WS90s that you couldn't go on the Sottozero 3s, and in wet and dry conditions which you'll drive in the vast majority of the time, the Pirellis will stop much shorter and handle much better.

Is there any downsides to going up a size? Is your speedometer still accurate and stuff? Is there any issue mounting them or do they rub the wheel wells when going full lock to make a tight turn?

Is there any downsides to going up a size? Is your speedometer still accurate and stuff? Is there any issue mounting them or do they rub the wheel wells when going full lock to make a tight turn?
The difference in circumfrence between 235/45-18 and 245/45-18 is only 1.5%. If anything, I think my speedometer might read slightly fast with the stock tires and might be slightly more accurate with the 245s, but it's hard to tell for sure without very careful testing when the difference is so little. I think 245s fit a little better than 235s on the stock 8.5" wide wheels; they're not so stretched. I experience no issues at all with rubbing under any conditions. The only possible negative that I noticed is that I'm not sure if you could use chains with 245s; the added width and height puts the inside corner of the tire closer to the upright and chains tend to flop around. Of course, isn't part of the reason for getting snow tires so that you don't have to use chains?

The difference in circumfrence between 235/45-18 and 245/45-18 is only 1.5%. If anything, I think my speedometer might read slightly fast with the stock tires and might be slightly more accurate with the 245s, but it's hard to tell for sure without very careful testing when the difference is so little. I think 245s fit a little better than 235s on the stock 8.5" wide wheels; they're not so stretched. I experience no issues at all with rubbing under any conditions. The only possible negative that I noticed is that I'm not sure if you could use chains with 245s; the added width and height puts the inside corner of the tire closer to the upright and chains tend to flop around. Of course, isn't part of the reason for getting snow tires so that you don't have to use chains?

It’s also considerably less of an issue if I don’t even own chains ;)

Are you on the front range or in the mountains? I've been trying to consider what to get for winter tires and am considering the Tesla package with Sottozeros.