Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S motivation at the workplace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many people in the US, I'm just an average shmoe earning a decent living. When I first saw this car about a year ago, I didn't think much of it. Having looked at it again almost two months ago, I realized that I had to have one. So now I employ visual self motivation at work and EXTREME financial discipline. Hopefully, the overtime at work stays constant. Murphy's law need not be curious about my saving $2000/month for the next two years plan I have. Will let you know when I get confirmation of my reservation. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have half down before my number comes up. Wish me luck gang. Here are some pics of my digital picture frame at work and a dry erase board on my desk. Visual motivation is truly a good thing.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    736.5 KB · Views: 456
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    886.3 KB · Views: 707
Its funny, my story is exactly the same.

I saw it a couple of years ago and thought it was a cool car but never really thought about it again after that. Then I got a job that requires me to drive 80+ miles a day and I was looking for high MPG cars which eventually led me to Tesla motors. Now Im 100% determined to get one too.

Hehe great motivation, Roger.

I've got a picture of the Model S that a salesman handed me at the Seattle store a few weeks ago sitting on my whiteboard at work up in Williamsburg.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to scrape the funds together for a signature reservation. If I can do that, it'll save me in the end. The problem, of course, is how to do that...

Fundraiser? :)

Thanks for the cheers. These next two years aren't going to be easy working 15-25 hrs extra per week(pending overtime remains constant) Somehow I am comforted that it'll be worth it.

Have they release the price for the signature edition yet?

You have to put down 8 times as much to reserve a Signature series and no one know exactly what the difference will be (other than you'll get your car first).

Thanks for the cheers. These next two years aren't going to be easy working 15-25 hrs extra per week(pending overtime remains constant) Somehow I am comforted that it'll be worth it.

Have they release the price for the signature edition yet?

Not yet. Keep in mind that you have to put down $40,000 just to reserve a Signature Series Model S so the price of one could be $70,000+.

Tesla hasn't said what will be included with (and/or unique to) the Signature Series but I don't see the benefit of putting down 8x the funds just to get a Model S a few weeks or months earlier.

Nice motivational whiteboard, by the way. I might just make something similar for myself. :biggrin:

The other differences (that I've been told by Tesla sales people) are that it'll come with a 230 mile pack and have "a unique set of options that can't be replicated with the production car" and well as unique badging. They didn't know what those options were however. I was told this probably 8 months ago so I'm sure they have a much better idea what it'll be now.

I actually emailed my Tesla rep yesterday with questions about this. Interesting snippets from his response (which was within a few business hours, by the way!):

-Verified that the Signature series will have the 230 mi range pack. The 300 mi pack is "expected to be available later in the production cycle".

-My rep expects the signature series to end up costing about $75K to $80K. A little too rich for my blood, I think.

-No official info on Model S signature series, but he said "Just for reference, we had a Signature series for Roadster as well. It included all available options, a special dark green color and customizable plaques that displayed your name or sequence number."

I also asked about the NY Times article from yesterday that implied that Model S production would begin at the end of 2012. His response:

"I think the NY Times article was incorrect. Model S is slated to begin production in March/April 2012."

Big takeaway from me: I think I'll just get the base model, upgraded with 230mi pack and a few options. The loaded sig series is a bit too much for me I think.

Regarding this "Signature" series, it seems to me that Elon is using a similar "reality distortion field" to what Steve Jobs uses. When you think about it, it can't be a good deal to risk $40k on a deposit for a car with specs you don't know, unless... it has the "gotta have it" mojo that Apple products have.

One other thing I hate to bring up, but you have to keep it in mind when doing a financial transaction like this: Right now, we are on track for April 2012 release of Model S, but what happens if something happens to cause a delay? Elon has stated on many occasions that Tesla is relying on the income from the Model S to move forward with other models. Plus, currently, Tesla has barely just enough money to operate long enough to bring the Model S to production. Any major delay will require a cash infusion, which could possibly result in a bankruptcy and loss of your deposit. Some possible causes for delay: Natural disaster (earthquake or wildfire), China refusing to export rare earth metals, equipment manufacturer bankruptcy, war, etc... In my case, I'd hate to throw away $5,000, but if I lost $5,000 it would hurt a lot less then losing $40,000!

... In my case, I'd hate to throw away $5,000, but if I lost $5,000 it would hurt a lot less then losing $40,000!

What of the potential that the $130,000+ car you just took delivery of became unsupported or cost prohibitive to keep on the road if Tesla failed? Seems to me you have already bet much more than $40,000 on Tesla. Granted you are currently enjoying arguably the sweetest car money can buy. Still, any buyer of a Roadster is likely taking more financial risk than any model S depositor.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a bet worth taking -- one I'm making as well. The success in raising funds through the ipo was a real factor in pushing me over the edge into finally buying the roadster.

Last edited:
Still, any buyer of a Roadster is likely taking more financial risk than any model S depositor.

It was that damn jedi mind trick. Before I walked in there, I told myself I was overpaying for this car and that it was impractical, but somehow I ended up with one anyway. I guess what I was trying to say is that in addition to the money I threw away on this kick-ass car, throwing away an additional $40k would hurt even more.

On a slightly more serious note, I did consider that with the Roadster. But what I figured with the Roadster is that if I gave them money, and I had a car, if they went bankrupt, I'd still have the car. This would be analogous to the Delorean... it is still possible to get parts and service on a Delorean, even today. So the money I risked on the Roadster was a smaller risk, because they were just infused with a butt-load of money (stimulus, IPO, Mercedes, and Toyota) and they had delivered >1000 cars, so I figured they'd be around long enough to deliver mine.

But for the Model S, expected delivery date was 2011 for Signature series, but now it is apparently pushed back to 2012. This is a new car company, and they plan on going from concept, to design, to manufacturing for less money than companies that have been doing it for years. I think it is possible, but there is a lot of risk in their plan. I'm not trying to be a downer, I was just stating the obvious risk. A significant delay to the Model S would require another cash infusion... they would need to get more money from somewhere.

@Doug_G: Apparently, rare earth metals is not a concern... whew. Funny thing is that the allure of cars appeal to men and mostly young men. That demographic tends to have more risk takers, so perhaps that will work in Tesla's favor.

Last edited:
What of the potential that the $130,000+ car you just took delivery of became unsupported or cost prohibitive to keep on the road if Tesla failed? Seems to me you have already bet much more than $40,000 on Tesla. Granted you are currently enjoying arguably the sweetest car money can buy. Still, any buyer of a Roadster is likely taking more financial risk than any model S depositor.

Don't get me wrong, I think its a bet worth taking -- one I'm making as well. The success in raising funds through the ipo was a real factor in pushing me over the edge into finally buying the roadster.
If Tesla went bankrupt, the demand for the roadster (value too) would probably go up because it would be many many years before something similar was produced. Look at the other Ev's promised by other manufacturers; boring. Comparing the Delorean to the Roadster is apples to oranges. The delorean was just another ICE car.

I guess what I was trying to say is that in addition to the money I threw away on this kick-ass car, throwing away an additional $40k would hurt even more.

While I definitely wouldn't call buying a Roadster "throwing away" money, I do see your point so please don't take this the wrong way.

While it would hurt to lose $40k if something happens to Tesla that is more than likely why Tesla has the $5,000 reservation deposit for the non-Signature Series Model S. In my opinion, the Signature Series is just for those who think they need the Model S before anyone else.

Regarding the risk, while there definitely is some I'd say it's not a huge one. As much fun as Toyoda-san had in Elon's Roadster I'd bet he did a fair amount of due diligence before agreeing to sell NUMMI to Tesla and invest $50M in the company. It's also important to remember the Daimler investment and the fact that Tesla's stock has kept above the IPO price despite a -135% net profit margin and a -105% return on average assets as of June 2010.

Tesla knows that they're depending on Model S to survive and allow them to develop other vehicles. With that in mind Tesla will be doing everything within their control to make sure Model S is launched on time.

It was that damn jedi mind trick. Before I walked in there, I told myself I was overpaying for this car and that it was impractical, but somehow I ended up with one anyway. I guess what I was trying to say is that in addition to the money I threw away on this kick-ass car, throwing away an additional $40k would hurt even more.

After I posted I noticed that it looks like you have a Model S reservation too. In that case, I agree, it's less risk to only put down $5k in addition to the roadster than $40k and the roadster :). I too would do a $5k deposit over the $40k signature deposit, but for now I'm going to be a one roadster house.

I think given what Tesla has done so far, even if they do end up needing to raise more money they will likely be able to. That would hurt existing shareholders (including me), but wiping out deposit holders is less likely -- pretty much requires going bankrupt. I expect they'd get bought out before going bankrupt unless there really is _no_ market for electric cars, which I just don't believe.

I won't be at all surprised if they end up slipping the Model S dates. Just like the Roadster ran into some teething issues, it's entirely possible there are some issues in the Model S road, but I really want to see them succeed! I love the way they are building the company and the products.