Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Day Everyone
Quick question I see lots of threads about software updates on Models S Y and 3, I read that some people are getting 2019.36.2.1 or 2 and some are getting 40.x.x

I have a 2017 model s and I am wondering how do I get the updated firmware ?

Is it auto push from Tesla or do I have to opt in for such firmware updates.

Please let me know (Thanks)

...Is it auto push from Tesla...

Yes.

You can delay/cancel an update for so long but after a while, I think Tesla will automatically force an update whether you want it or not.

That means there might be no way for you to opt-out an update (although you can cancel/delay it for quite a long time). Tesla update will get you eventually!

For those who want to get an update as soon as possible, make sure you park and connect to a wi-fi source as they are preferred first over the standard car's cellular data service.

Also, in your car's screen menu "Software", you should choose "Advance" and not "Standard".

First, read the threads to see if you want the update. With an older car, you won't get a lot of features that the newer ones (HW3) do.

It is an "Auto push" from Tesla, but from the MCU screen under "Software" you can select "Advanced". In theory, you will get an update faster that way.

Good Day Everyone
Quick question I see lots of threads about software updates on Models S Y and 3, I read that some people are getting 2019.36.2.1 or 2 and some are getting 40.x.x

Don’t feel badly, I’m still on 2019:32:12:7

Good Day Everyone

You can set your vehicle to get updates more frequent, however note that not all updates are for every single vehicle, so you may notice that your car will skip some updates and get multiple updates within a short period of time.

You will need to be on WiFi to get most updates, however if there is an URGENT update then Tesla can push it over LTE as well as make it available over WiFi, but those are not frequent. Almost all updates are optimal and come over WiFi. Optional meaning that your Tesla and or the Tesal app will let you know when it’s downloading an update, and when it’s ready to install. The downloading happens automatically when you’re on WiFi, however the installation is something you can control, by either doing the install or just ignoring the request to install it.

Thank You Zanary, I don’t want to change the topic here, since you are here let me ask you a slightly different question, I have all the features of enhanced autopilot minus smart summon, and the ability to interpret traffic lights Stop signs etc, TSC is saying in order for me to get smart summon I need to pay 7K does that sound right to you?

Is it an October 2016 build car?

I think some came with "convenience features" and AP2 hardware, before they made the switch to Enhanced Autopilot for all AP2 cars.

Personally I wouldn't pay anything for Smart Summon. Used it once and it doesn't work that well. No Teslas can interpret traffic lights or stop signs.

It’s a 02/17 edition.
You are correct I have autopilot with convenience features which gives me almost everything except smart summon and excludes the new FSD features and TSC wants 7K.

Your car was made in 02/17? I think at that point it was enhanced Autopilot only..

There are no new FSD features besides Smart Summon, which sucks anyway.

The traffic cone detection doesn't work on AP2 cars.