Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X 100D only Charging at 32A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just got a Tesla Model X 100D, installed a NEMA14-50 outlet in my house, I'm in California.

But the car only charges at 32A, any one knows why?

i3Fy1c
kQJ7ux
hf0bnH

Thanks

Ok Thanks, learned that in this forum. Funny that a service guy in Tesla Service Center told me today that it should hit 40a, and something is wrong with my set up.
The service guy is wrong. If your's is truly new, then you have a gen 2 UMC and that maxes out at 32 amps.

Now, you do have something wrong since you are only charging at 27 amps.

-Jim

You will have to get a -
- Gen1UMC (40a max)
- HPWC (80a max, direct wired)
- corded UMC (40a max) - Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

to charge at greater than 32a.

The problem is that it is legal to wire an outlet for 40a, but put a 50a breaker on it... because there are no 40a breakers.

It also appears that they downsized the main cable in the Gen2 UMC for lighter weight and the redesigned the adaptors for more robustness (and more options).

You will have to get a -
- Gen1UMC (40a max)
- HPWC (80a max, direct wired)
- corded UMC (40a max) - Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

to charge at greater than 32a.

The problem is that it is legal to wire an outlet for 40a, but put a 50a breaker on it... because there are no 40a breakers.

It also appears that they downsized the main cable in the Gen2 UMC for lighter weight and the redesigned the adaptors for more robustness (and more options).

I think you mixed up your sentence. It's legal to wire for 40a, but use a 50a OUTLET. You still have to use a 40a breaker. That's what I have because I have a standard 30a EVSE.

Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
Hmmm--my Clipper Creek charger charges at 32 amps as well but charge rate is 20-22 M/H. Yours is charing only at 10 M/H and battery is only half charged--something wrong--unless you took the pic right after connecting--It does take about 10 minutes to ramp up to full charge rate.

Hmmm--my Clipper Creek charger charges at 32 amps as well but charge rate is 20-22 M/H. Yours is charing only at 10 M/H and battery is only half charged--something wrong--unless you took the pic right after connecting--It does take about 10 minutes to ramp up to full charge rate.
It certainly doesn't take 10 minutes to ramp up to full charge rate--generally just about 30 seconds to a minute. But yes, that picture must be just after plugging in. Notice how the setting target is supposed to be 32, but it has only gotten up to 27 out of 32?
There is something confusing about the charging screen, which is what is tripping you up. The volts, amps, and kilowatts are all instantaneous readings. So when it gets up to showing 32A, that is at full rate. But the miles per hour number is not instantaneous, which is a little weird. It's an average over the course of the whole charging session. So if it was taking about 30 seconds to increase the amps from 0 to 32, then the miles per hour average reading is still going to show kind of low for another few minutes, because it's still averaging in the early points when it was 2A and then 9A, and 15A, etc.

Reactions: Xponential
For most daily driving, charging at 32A is probably going to be enough to get a full charge overnight (this assumes you generally keep the car between 10-90% charge, so that worst case you're only trying to get an 80KWhr charge).

If you want to always carry a UMC in the car for emergencies (like a spare tire or the tire pump/tire repair kit), then purchasing Tesla's 14-50 adapter and leaving it permanently connected would give you 40A charging.

You can purchase an HPWC, and Tesla has been able to get the price down to around the same as a charging cable - but you really don't gain any benefit from an HPWC on a 50A circuit, unless you plan to share that circuit with multiple HPWCs (which would have challenges charging 2 cars overnight).

If you want to always carry a UMC in the car for emergencies (like a spare tire or the tire pump/tire repair kit), then purchasing Tesla's 14-50 adapter and leaving it permanently connected would give you 40A charging.
I get what you are trying to say, but most people won't because you used the wrong term. Buying an "adapter" won't give this person 40A charging. They already have a 14-50 adapter for their UMC. What you are probably referring to is the "corded mobile connector", that Tesla sells for $520.
Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector
It does not have the word "universal" in the name, because it doesn't have different changeable plug ends. It just has the 14-50 plug permanently molded onto it. Because that is more solidly mounted, instead of the snap-on adapters, they do have that one capable of 40A current.

Am I the only person that did research before buying a $100k car? haha. As stated above, the UMC Gen 2 (shipping with all new Teslas and the Model 3) has a max power of 32A.

The owners manual is in your MyTesla acct. I know I read every guide when I bought my car...

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf
OP acknowledged several on and off topic responses, and this thread was as good as closed on 4/16. It's the posters in May that you should be getting on for not reading the thread before replying.

Reactions: XHabjab