Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X and one-pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first page or so of this thread consists of posts originally made to two duplicate threads.

Does 2018 Tesla model x have full one paddle drive where you come to a complete stop?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, the short answer is No. What I don't understand is I have Advanced Auto Pilot, and if I have cruise engaged it will come to a full stop at a stop sign or traffic light, so why can't it be programmed to apply the brakes once it gets below 3-5 mph?

Pedal

1. Stopping Mode enables the 100% one-pedal driving many people have heard about but Tesla has never offered. Tesla cars have almost allowed one-pedal driving, but only slowed to about 3 miles per hour, so you would need to tap on the brakes to avoid rolling into either the intersection or the car ahead of you.

(Editor’s note regarding an exception: With Autopilot on, if a car is stopped in front of you, your car will come to a stop as well. This is a core reason Autopilot is so nice in stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic.)

Reactions: X-pilot
Should be in Upgrades in your app. Only problem is the auto stop ONLY works while cruise is engaged, and it will try to stop at all traffic lights, including those that are green unless you are behind another car going through the intersection.

Does Tesla model x has one paddle drive when you come to complete stop?
As noted above, for a few years now all new Teslas sold are capable of one pedal driving such that the car can come to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal. Older Model S and X cars cannot slow to a full stop because they have a different type of front motor As noted by @DCGOO and @fr100.

However, that does not mean that newer Teslas (or any EV) can come to a complete stop in all situations without the driver applying the brakes. If you need to stop rapidly or when descending a hill you will need to use the brakes (though very slight inclines at low speeds are an exception).

New EV owners can get used to one pedal driving quite quickly and I’ve never met an owner who does not find that feature to be superior to how ICE vehicles operate.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
So is there any way i can have it on 2018 model x?
No, because the ability to come to a complete stop without touching the brake pedal (and without the Full Self Driving option) is a feature of the “Raven” drivetrain system which was introduced in May 2019. That drivetrain has a different type of front motor. Your 2018 X does not have that type of front motor.

It’s not a software issue that can be updated, it’s hardware you don’t have. And no, Tesla will not replace your front motor with the newer type.

Last edited:
As far as I know, the short answer is No. What I don't understand is I have Advanced Auto Pilot, and if I have cruise engaged it will come to a full stop at a stop sign or traffic light, so why can't it be programmed to apply the brakes once it gets below 3-5 mph?
Not sure what you mean by “Advanced Auto Pilot”. Tesla does not sell an option with that name.

I assume you mean “Full Self Driving” since you say your car detects stop signs and traffic lights? With that option present, Tesla recently released an update enabling the car to come to a full stop for stop signs and signals when they are red.

It appears that @Ishan does not have that option.

Should be in Upgrades in your app. Only problem is the auto stop ONLY works while cruise is engaged, and it will try to stop at all traffic lights, including those that are green unless you are behind another car going through the intersection.
To be clear, that is the case only if you have the Full Self Driving option.

When discussing whether or not a Tesla, in this case a 2018 X, can come to a full stop without the driver touching the brake pedal (which I believe is what @Ishan would like his car to do) it’s useful to distinguish between the following situations:

1 - the driver is operating the car without TACC being engaged; in this case his car cannot come to a complete stop with no pressure on the accelerator pedal (the “gas” pedal) in a timely fashion, though on a level road it would of course come to a stop eventually.

2 - TACC or Auto Pilot is engaged; the car will come to a stop if the vehicle it is following does so, though the car may not stop if it comes across a vehicle or object that is stopped in its lane.

3 - Full Self Driving is engaged; the car will come to a complete stop in various scenarios, and if stop sign/stop light detection is turned on it will stop when those are present and relevant for the lane it is in.

For a Model X with the ”Raven” drivetrain, implemented in May 2019 (I think), in situation #1 the car can come to a complete stop in a timely fashion if there is no pressure on the accelerator pedal.

I hope I have that all correct, but if not I welcome corrections!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
New EV owners can get used to one pedal driving quite quickly and I’ve never met an owner who does not find that feature to be superior to how ICE vehicles operate.
Agree. However I have two Teslas, one with the feature and one without. To ease the transition, I disabled the feature in my profile in the Model 3 (wife’s car) so it more closely resembles what I am used to in my 2018 X. Someday I’ll have a 2022 X (on order) and will be able to have the feature on both cars.

The reason is, the one pedal driving feature only uses regenerative braking to come to a complete stop. The newer front motor with a permanent magnet, has effective regen all the way to 0 mph. Older cars without the new motor, regen quits around 2-3 mph. Why they didn’t do what you suggested, I have no idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Simple graphic I created some time ago when testing my '17 X vs my kids '18 3 and gathering ScanMyTesla data for regen.

BSWw7nP.jpg