Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X is and Is Not!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, this is what has been on my mind lately. I have talk to and read a whole bunch and I have come across a lot of people saying well the Model X is this but is nott this. Back and fort both side of the line from owners to none owners and skeptic.

So I spend some time putting together what an X is and is not . Please keep in mind that this is my opinion and some light research. Don't take everything I have for data as concrete.

What I find interesting is that there hasn't been too many car/suv up till now, that can do everything and everything well. We are playing with the notion that money isn't an issue but we are not billionaires. The 5 category that I was working with is this.

1. 0-60 time because I want to feel some excitement once in a while.
2. Must be able to seat up o 7 passenger for a growing family
3. Must be able to tow up to 5000 lbs. maybe I want a boat or a trailer
4. Has 80 or more Cubit feet of cargo space.
5. No emission.

With that as my guide line I set out to search for the top 5 car/suv in each of their category. I want to find cars that can do the versatile task and everyday scenario well. What I found that was unless you can afford at least 2 car, you will not be able to find 1 car that can do almost everyday task and give you that thrill for when you need it. I hope this help a lot of peoples that are in the market for a new vehicle or just looking.

Conclusion:

I have never came across or own a car that is both environmentally responsible and yet well rounded as the Tesla Model X. It does everyday last very well with a growing family that likes to travel. Towing is there when I need to do yard work or towing a boat someday. The 0-60 has to be one to most exciting driven car I have ever been in. So much so that my body is screaming for me to stop because it can't handle the G-force. I could be wrong but I think this is the best car in the world that is affordable and versatile for almost every situation that I have came across. My question for you is this: What can't your current car do now? What do you need to buy?

The Tesla Model X well it does everything and there for it IS!

Model X is and is not.png

So you came to the preeminent Tesla forum on the web, and asked if the Tesla Model X is the greatest car ever? Of course it is! :D

It actually is a pretty amazing car in a lot of ways - one thing a lot of people miss that doesn't really come out in spreadsheets like this is how much better the driving experience is - you can see so much more in all directions (except maybe to the rear,) and it's quiet and instantly responsive with effective, understated climate controls and easily read displays full of useful information. It's even easy to get into and out of and has lots of headroom and comfortable seats (but I'd give a lot to get that headrest to move up about two inches from the top of the current range.) :)

Well I just pointed out all the most obvious point of argument when I talk to people or skeptic, we haven't' even talk about Tesla advantage yet. That is a category in itself, that no other manufacturer can even touch. But we all know that already! ehehehhehe

Last edited:
Hi, this is what has been on my mind lately. I have talk to and read a whole bunch and I have come across a lot of people saying well the Model X is this but is nott this. Back and fort both side of the line from owners to none owners and skeptic.

So I spend some time putting together what an X is and is not . Please keep in mind that this is my opinion and some light research. Don't take everything I have for data as concrete.

What I find interesting is that there hasn't been too many car/suv up till now, that can do everything and everything well. We are playing with the notion that money isn't an issue but we are not billionaires. The 5 category that I was working with is this.

1. 0-60 time because I want to feel some excitement once in a while.
2. Must be able to seat up o 7 passenger for a growing family
3. Must be able to tow up to 5000 lbs. maybe I want a boat or a trailer
4. Has 80 or more Cubit feet of cargo space.
5. No emission.

With that as my guide line I set out to search for the top 5 car/suv in each of their category. I want to find cars that can do the versatile task and everyday scenario well. What I found that was unless you can afford at least 2 car, you will not be able to find 1 car that can do almost everyday task and give you that thrill for when you need it. I hope this help a lot of peoples that are in the market for a new vehicle or just looking.

Conclusion:

I have never came across or own a car that is both environmentally responsible and yet well rounded as the Tesla Model X. It does everyday last very well with a growing family that likes to travel. Towing is there when I need to do yard work or towing a boat someday. The 0-60 has to be one to most exciting driven car I have ever been in. So much so that my body is screaming for me to stop because it can't handle the G-force. I could be wrong but I think this is the best car in the world that is affordable and versatile for almost every situation that I have came across. My question for you is this: What can't your current car do now? What do you need to buy?

The Tesla Model X well it does everything and there for it IS!

View attachment 229862
This comparison list is very subjective to say at least. There are cars listed that don't belong to it all Porshe 911?, Golf VW? Why not Remac electric car than? And why Porshe Cayenne is left out for example - Hybrid model has some eco advantage, fast, 7000Lb towing, and meets most of other categories...

"Golf VW? Why not Remac electric car than?"

I took cars that you can buy right now, as a comparison, I also only took cars of the top 5 out of top 10 from most list. One of the category is all Electric. Hybrid is not one of the category, I don't have the time to list every car on the market. That would take forever, My point is that The Model x is very rounded. You can go fast when you need to, Tow when you need to, seat 7 when you need to, and it's all EV.

As I said in the post this was my point of view, I took a small sample from each category of cars and suv. The end goal was to have a car that is green, and still do everything.

While the remac is a great EV but most people are not going to buy it for it's well rounded usage, Remac can't towed or seat more then 2. I think the Remac is more of a show off vehicle for the technology in EV and high tech, not an everyday car you you can grow with a family. Sorry if I didn't included everything that everyone wanted.

The Porshe 911 did belong because it was one of the car that can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Golf VW is not all EV so that didn't get included.

"Hybrid model has some eco" Hybrid still has emission.

There was only 5 category that was important to me. I wanted a car can can do all 5. If you have a car in mind that can do all 5 category and still cost under 170K please port it and I would be more then happy to added to the list ASAP.

But, the naysayers will jump on here and insist that "Range" is a column that should be included...
Of course they will. And, with the understanding that you are not one of the naysayers, I would respond that Teslas have "unlimited" range just as ICE vehicles do. You just have to pause to recharge them if you want to drive more than 250 miles without stopping. And a large ICE SUV also has to stop and refuel if you want to drive more than 300 miles or so, right?

Of course it takes about 30 minutes longer to charge your Tesla S/X at a Supercharger than it takes to refuel your big ICE SUV with a 20 gallon gas tank. And the Tesla charge cost will be anywhere from ZERO dollars to maybe $10(?) while the ICE cost will be about $65 in the US and around US$100 in Europe.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Of course they will. And, with the understanding that you are not one of the naysayers, I would respond that Teslas have "unlimited" range just as ICE vehicles do. You just have to pause to recharge them if you want to drive more than 250 miles without stopping. And a large ICE SUV also has to stop and refuel if you want to drive more than 300 miles or so, right?

Of course it takes about 30 minutes longer to charge your Tesla S/X at a Supercharger than it takes to refuel your big ICE SUV with a 20 gallon gas tank. And the Tesla charge cost will be anywhere from ZERO dollars to maybe $10(?) while the ICE cost will be about $65 in the US and around US$100 in Europe.

you're right, not to mention hydrogen cars which cost like $70 per fill up...

"Golf VW? Why not Remac electric car than?"

I took cars that you can buy right now, as a comparison, I also only took cars of the top 5 out of top 10 from most list. One of the category is all Electric. Hybrid is not one of the category, I don't have the time to list every car on the market. That would take forever, My point is that The Model x is very rounded. You can go fast when you need to, Tow when you need to, seat 7 when you need to, and it's all EV.

As I said in the post this was my point of view, I took a small sample from each category of cars and suv. The end goal was to have a car that is green, and still do everything.

While the remac is a great EV but most people are not going to buy it for it's well rounded usage, Remac can't towed or seat more then 2. I think the Remac is more of a show off vehicle for the technology in EV and high tech, not an everyday car you you can grow with a family. Sorry if I didn't included everything that everyone wanted.

The Porshe 911 did belong because it was one of the car that can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds.

Golf VW is not all EV so that didn't get included.

"Hybrid model has some eco" Hybrid still has emission.

There was only 5 category that was important to me. I wanted a car can can do all 5. If you have a car in mind that can do all 5 category and still cost under 170K please port it and I would be more then happy to added to the list ASAP.

technically you couldn't seat 6-7 and still have 88cu/ft of storage...right?

Acceleration is good for safely moving this large heavy car in traffic, too. When you need to be "over there" right away just press the pedal.

No other SUV I would rather be inside than a MX if a collision were to happen. With that said, no better SUV than the Model X when it comes to getting out of dangerous situations in a hurry.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
This comparison list is very subjective to say at least. There are cars listed that don't belong to it all Porshe 911?, Golf VW? Why not Remac electric car than? And why Porshe Cayenne is left out for example - Hybrid model has some eco advantage, fast, 7000Lb towing, and meets most of other categories...
I agree with you on the subjectivity of these type of comparison. Cayenne is on the smaller side of mid/fullsize SUV though.

Mercedes-Benz G-Class Length 187.6″; Wheelbase 112.2″
Porsche Cayenne Length 191.4″; Wheelbase 113.98″
BMW X5 Length 192.4″; Wheelbase 115.5″
Toyota Land Cruiser Length 194.9″; Wheelbase 112.2″
Volvo XC90 Length 194.9"; Wheelbase 117.5"
Land Rover Range Rover Length 196.8″; Wheelbase 115.0″
Tesla Model X Length 198.3″; Wheelbase 116.7″
Lexus LX570 Length 199.4″; Wheelbase 112.2″
Mercedes GLS Length 202.0″; Wheelbase 121.1″
Bently Bentayga Length 202.4″; Wheelbase 117.8″
Cadillac Escalade Length 203.9″; Wheelbase 116.0″
Lincoln Navigator Length 207.4″ Wheelbase 119.0″
Infiniti QX80 Length 208.9″; Wheelbase 121.2″
Cadilliac Escalade ESV Length 224.3″; Wheelbase 130.0″

IMHO XC90 T8 excellence would be a better comparison add-on for the purpose of OP. What is interesting to me is how much the packaging efficiency was lowered from shortening falcon wing door lengths from alpha prototype to production.

Lots of issues with this chart and such but I'll bite. It cannot go around a race track like you're in a go-kart (Since we're not comparing like categories) and if I remember correctly, it took over 10 minutes in the Nugurgring and went into power save mode really early on.

Though, it would be nice if it could. It would also save my wallet from getting more toys :)