Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y charging options without ownership verification in APP ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, first-time tesla owner, I'm getting a used YP from the dealer and the previous owner already unlinked it from his account. I need to drive back 20 hours (Hoping for a fun first long drive) to home.
What are my options for charging without being verified ?
Any way to use SuperChargers?
How long it would take for me to get verified and linked to my account once I submit the bill of sale and other documents?

TIA

Most people have posted it is pretty quick once you upload the documents. If you cannot wait, sign-up with EVGO. Many of their charges have a Tesla connector, but check using their app before heading to one. That should get you home. You can always sign-up with ChargePoint and use their network of Level 2 chargers.

Welcome to Tesla!

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
As mentioned there are some EVGo stations with a built in Tesla connector. You can also buy the Tesla CCS1 adapter so you can use any third party CCS DCFC station.

Otherwise you’ll have to carefully plan out a multi day trip where you can stay at a hotel with level 2 charging overnight and pre-plan long meal stops somewhere with level 2 chargers as well. (And obviously make sure the car comes with the J1772 adapter or else need to buy one first)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Most people have posted it is pretty quick once you upload the documents. If you cannot wait, sign-up with EVGO. Many of their charges have a Tesla connector, but check using their app before heading to one. That should get you home. You can always sign-up with ChargePoint and use their network of Level 2 chargers.

Welcome to Tesla!
As mentioned there are some EVGo stations with a built in Tesla connector. You can also buy the Tesla CCS1 adapter so you can use any third party CCS DCFC station.

Otherwise you’ll have to carefully plan out a multi day trip where you can stay at a hotel with level 2 charging overnight and pre-plan long meal stops somewhere with level 2 chargers as well. (And obviously make sure the car comes with the J1772 adapter or else need to buy one first)
Thank you both. I made sure it is coming with a mobile charger and J1772 adapter. Those should come to the rescue.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to buy a CCS adapter.
So what stations should I look for if I have to rely on J1772 chargers? Electrify America?

Upvote 0
Thank you both. I made sure it is coming with a mobile charger and J1772 adapter. Those should come to the rescue.
So what stations should I look for if I have to rely on J1772 chargers? Electrify America?
All! ChargePoint seems to have a lot of stations, but I suggest downloading all apps. I think you will find ChargePoint pretty much everywhere. But if EVGO has a station on your route with a Tesla adapter this should offer a faster charge. Download Electrify America as well. None of them require a subscription. EA is CCS and level 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A used Model YP mght not have CCS capability anyway. Any L2 stations will be J1772 (or Tesla obviously), but they're really only going to be helpful as an overnight stop, or maybe to tie you over an extra 20-50 miles to a DC charger.

You should sign up for EVGo and scout out DC charging locations that have the Tesla connector. Also, I've heard that you may get one courtesy Supercharging session before they actually lock you out for not having verified ownership and listed a credit card.

Plugshare is the best method for searching for charging stations across multiple vendors. You can specify Tesla Plug, for example. ABRP is also good for mapping out a possible route, although I don't know if you could have it leave Superchargers out of the route or not.

Also, make sure the owner or dealer plugs the car in and charges to 100% so you start with a maximum charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
A used Model YP mght not have CCS capability anyway. Any L2 stations will be J1772 (or Tesla obviously), but they're really only going to be helpful as an overnight stop, or maybe to tie you over an extra 20-50 miles to a DC charger.

You should sign up for EVGo and scout out DC charging locations that have the Tesla connector. Also, I've heard that you may get one courtesy Supercharging session before they actually lock you out for not having verified ownership and listed a credit card.

Plugshare is the best method for searching for charging stations across multiple vendors. You can specify Tesla Plug, for example. ABRP is also good for mapping out a possible route, although I don't know if you could have it leave Superchargers out of the route or not.

Also, make sure the owner or dealer plugs the car in so you start with a maximum charge.
Got it, looks like EVGo is the way to go for me.
Yes, I saw a video showing the one-time use of superchargers and then locking them out, I should plan it well to get the most use of it.

Upvote 0

Welcome to Tesla!
@ATPMSD Do you know if there would be any delay if I have to register on weekend (Saturday)? Assuming customer service availability will be very limited on Weekends?

Upvote 0
@ATPMSD Do you know if there would be any delay if I have to register on weekend (Saturday)? Assuming customer service availability will be very limited on Weekends?
I have not had to do this so I have no first hand information to share. FYI if you have not done this?

Upvote 0
Add a valid credit card or debit card to your Tesla account now. Once your ownership of the Tesla vehicle is verified, added to your account you should be able to use the Tesla Supercharger network.

LPT: Be sure to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) for your Tesla account so no one can easily hack into your Tesla account.

Beware of scam artists. If the Tesla vehicle does not show up in your phone app it could be because the "seller" does not actually own the vehicle as they claimed. This exact scam supposedly happened to someone who posted about their experience on TMC. If you are buying the Tesla vehicle from an individual, not an established used car dealer or business then remember the adage "buyer beware".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Add a valid credit card or debit card to your Tesla account now. Once your ownership of the Tesla vehicle is verified, added to your account you should be able to use the Tesla Supercharger network.
Do you know if there would be any delay if I have to register on weekend (Saturday)? Assuming customer service availability will be very limited on Weekends?
Basically do all that you can as soon as you can. Create your account on Tesla's website, get documents sent if you can, put a credit card on file there, and try to add the car to your account as soon as it will let you to get that activated.

But yeah, I'm not sure how automated or not that is. Sometimes I've heard reports of it happening within an hour. Sometimes it's a couple days. So on a Saturday, I don't know if I could guess.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the new to you Tesla. 20 hours is a long drive. While I don't recommend buying a car sight unseen maybe there is some way the dealer can help get the ball rolling before you arrive to pickup? This way Tesla can add the vehicle to your account and you can use the SC network.

Worst case you get there and there is a problem with the car and they have to unwind the deal. Worth a try as it would be a lot less hassle for you.

Upvote 0
Congrats on the new to you Tesla. 20 hours is a long drive. While I don't recommend buying a car sight unseen maybe there is some way the dealer can help get the ball rolling before you arrive to pickup? This way Tesla can add the vehicle to your account and you can use the SC network.

Worst case you get there and there is a problem with the car and they have to unwind the deal. Worth a try as it would be a lot less hassle for you.
They have very little knowledge on Tesla and is very old school and when I asked to provide bill of sale or temp registration for verification purpose stright up denied saying that I’ll only get it aster signing. It is kind of a blessing as well as they don’t know how to value fsd and I got a good deal bcz of it.

Sure, it is risky, they showed it in videos multiple times and I’m hoping that verification would be done instantly as most of other members suggest.

Either way I have secured a CCS adapter with some help from local tesla fb group and I’m all set for charging.

Thank you all 😀

Let me know what I need to try first in FSD 😅

Reactions: 240vPlug
Upvote 0
^^^
Congrats on your first Tesla. Prior to trying FSD you should first become comfortable driving the car. Try using autopilot first.
Download plug share on your phone. There are many many charge locations in the state of Texas. I made a list of charge stations along I95 for my first long distance drive to Florida from NJ including address, zip code, number of stations, and kW rating. Knowing how far apart they are allows you to find one when you need a bathroom stop as well as having the battery ready warmed to accept the charge. The vehicle will notify you when it begins warming the battery even if you are still 50 miles away from your next charge station. Besides using Tesla be sure to set up an account with Chargepoint and EV Go so you don't have problems when using these charge stations for the first time.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Sounds good. Please do come back, post pics, and let us know how your first Tesla road trip turned out 😎

Hi All,
My purchase and travel went very well. My account is verified and the vehicle is added to the account within 10-15 mins of adding documents in the APP, so I could use Tesla superchargers along the way. I anyway got CCS adapter as a backup.

Things I loved
Looks, Performance with Black and Black looks lovely.

Software and simplicity

FSD, wow this thing is incredible. Sure it is not perfect and I'm not expecting it to be driving all the way by itself, but it is definitely a resume at some times and fun to explore. EAP and Autopilot are extremely useful on highways, It is a significant upgrade from Hyundai Sonata 2021 which also has very good lane following assist.

Things I hated
Ride quality, sure 21-inch wheels aren't helping either. This is known to me before purchasing but I can't stop thinking about it. Any suggestions on affordable suspension upgrades or other alterations to improve this are very welcome. $3000 suspensions are out of my budget at this time.

The range on Highways - On Interstate I was burning at around 400wh/mi and had to stop for every 1hr30mins to 2hours. Was not expecting this frequent stop. Sure it has improved after coming to city highways and streets. Will have to see how it will turn out in daily usage. Energy charts showing as 285 wh/mi avg on the last 30 miles.

The 2nd-row seats could be a little deeper, but not a big deal.

Intel chip is slow but only on media and sometimes on Maps as expected, but happy to get this as a trade-off for FSD.
Overall, mixed opinions like every new tesla owner, but happy I made the move. Looking forward to enjoying it more.
Thank you all for the help.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Upvote 0
Ride quality, sure 21-inch wheels aren't helping either.

This is a consequence of a performance car which does not have an adjustable air suspension. Performance comes at the expense of ride comfort.

On Interstate I was burning at around 400wh/mi

Remember there are many factors that affect this including a speed, headwind, terrain, and especially if driving in cold weather.

Upvote 0