Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Illuminated Charge Port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it would be so cool (and useful/helpful) if the charge port (the actual receiving port/hole) on my 2023 MYP was illuminated on the inside (similar to ambient lighting) so I could easily see where to plug in at night. Anyone else feel the same way? Has anyone found a manufacturer/supplier of such a thing? Has anyone created their own solution?

Glow in the dark stickers? Tape a keychain flashlight to your charger handle. Use hand to find it by feel.

Insert joke about not being able to find the hole.
I swear I was laughing when I wrote that part, last night (“the receiving hole” - All receiving holes should be illuminated on the inside!!). LOL!

But seriously, I actually ordered a couple of tiny LED flashlights from Amazon last night and I’m going to try to see how I can connect a flashlight to the charge handle in a way that looks decent. But what I was really hoping was that someone would create an aftermarket accessory that could be installed just inside the port hole so that it would be illuminated like an ambient light. I just think that would look so much cooler!

This is a rare change that the older cars got right: the lit up indicator was actually the outer ring around the charge port. It pulled double duty of making it obvious what the charge status was but also made it far easier to locate the wand in dark conditions. The lit up "T" a mile away from the port on the newer cars is stoopit by comparison. I know that the new port assembly was supposed to make things easier for going CCS later but it looks like that ship has no sailed on US cars anyway. Bring back the ring Tesla!

This is a rare change that the older cars got right: the lit up indicator was actually the outer ring around the charge port. It pulled double duty of making it obvious what the charge status was but also made it far easier to locate the wand in dark conditions. The lit up "T" a mile away from the port on the newer cars is stoopit by comparison. I know that the new port assembly was supposed to make things easier for going CCS later but it looks like that ship has no sailed on US cars anyway. Bring back the ring Tesla!
You are so right! Bring back the ring!