Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model Y owner adds buttons to touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is my very first EV. It is also my very first vehicle with no physical (buttons!).
It has only been three months but I do not miss physical buttons one bit.

Before getting the Y, I was a bit skeptical as to how would controlling most things with just those two mini-globes on the steering would be.
I must say that Tesla has done a great job incorporating everything in those two physical buttons and how their interact with the rest of the button-less screen.

Thus, for me, I pass. I find such an add-on useless (personal opinion!).

Cheers,
N

Reactions: drtimhill
I like.
While I do like my Model Y as it is, I would love to have some physical buttons too - for those times when I don't want to take my eyes off the road to use the touchscreen, or for those times when voice commands aren't doing what I say to do.

Reactions: gtae07
What I would really like is a way to open glove box without going into screen menu or going through left scroll button. The left scroll button (pushing down on it) to get fan and other settings is nice but you still need to briefly take your eyes off road to see what you are doing, so that is NG.

What I would really like is a way to open glove box without going into screen menu or going through left scroll button. The left scroll button (pushing down on it) to get fan and other settings is nice but you still need to briefly take your eyes off road to see what you are doing, so that is NG.
SEXY Buttons has you covered for things like Glovebox and more.

Comments after the article are pretty funny.
  • "Elon tries to drag us out of the Stone Age, and this guy is kicking and screaming to go back to his cave."
  • "I hate it, it would never be in my M3"
  • "The most useless thing ever..."
  • "Great add-on for boomers"
  • "Will he slap a blackberry on top of my iPhone too?"
  • "He's similar to that woman in the US who tried filling her Tesla with gas at the gas station."
  • "When he realizes the demand was just FUD to make the stock drop he's going to be flat broke." (Author's note: ???)
  • "Looks like a VCR from the 20th century."
  • "Some people just have bad taste."
  • "Too complicated, would crash the car looking for one of those tiny buttons that all look the same." (Author's note: ironic)
  • "Not needed long term. Even if you want shortcuts, you won't need them. The car will know what you want and do it for you, including indicating/turn-signals" (Author's note: this is incorrect)
  • "Pla no pls no we going in reverse" [sic]
  • "The majority of people are primitive. Tesla has made a giant leap to get rid of these shitty buttons. This guy should add a start/stop button, and the gear selector on the right console."

• Funny
Reactions: Hellpops
I know. But in my opinion they are ugly.
That is why you hide them... none of mine are easily visible (back of steering wheel spokes, front of center consol under the overhang etc.) but they are all easily accessible without taking your attention away from the road. Even when using auto pilot you are supposed to be paying attention to the driving, and having physical buttons that you don't have to take your attention away from the road to use is a huge improvement over voice commands or screen menus.

Keith