Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel falls off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With his Jan 24th pick up date, he paid the lowest price possible right? At first, I thought someone might be trying to return the car since they paid $20k more, but that doesn't sound like the case. I think that's probably how Tesla works (send you a screen where you owe $$), but sorta a slap in the face that you now owe $100+ when it should be covered under warranty. They should redo the software if that's how Tesla warranty service works.

If he has more issues in a few months or this keeps happening, he can take this to lemon laws and return it for what he paid (mostly).

They want to return the car.
the article cites TWO incidents of steering wheel detaching......one in 2020, one now.
not good, but of course, the blogs are lighting up.

how come no stories of battery fires ?
a Tesla MY went off a 250ft cliff last week or so.....no fire, all occupants survived......nothing to see here, move on !!!!

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist
Seems the steering wheel would have become wobbly before coming off. Or perhaps the securing nut backed off completely and the SW stayed on the shaft for a while till it popped. Anyone install an after market SW who knows attachment details?

here are more details:

Omg! This has never happened before.
It took a Ford at least 3 years to gradually fall off, not less than 1 week as in Tesla 2023 case and less than a month in Tesla 2020 case.

Something wrong with that story. Steering wheels just don't fall off. Even without the nut, the wheel will stay in place unless it is pulled off.
As mentioned by others, it did happen to other brands as well, but it takes years, not days or weeks.

If these 2 cases are fake news, you would get a correction from Tesla/Twitter CEO by now in 2020 and 2023.

It took a Ford at least 3 years to gradually fall off, not less than 1 week as in Tesla 2023 case and less than a month in Tesla 2020 case.

As mentioned by others, it did happen to other brands as well, but it takes years, not days or weeks.

If these 2 cases are fake news, you would get a correction from Tesla/Twitter CEO by now in 2020 and 2023.
He’s busy tonight testing making tweets private vs public. Far more important than this stuff.

I call total BS on this.. even with the main nut not fastened the wheel would need to be pulled off - with a lot of force. I know this because on my car even after popping the airbag module off and removing the center bolt, it took a lot of force to get the wheel free.
There is no way that that Tesla even left the factory without the nut installed. Zero chance considering whoever pops in the airbag would have noticed it.

On my wheel, there was a “line” of yellow paint indicating that someone checked that the bolt was properly installed.

I believe that this person feels some buyers remorse over the latest pricing fiasco and just wanted an “easy route” to make a case to return his car. He passed the 7-day window and had to come up with something creative.

If this genius thought about it first.. he would have realized that a defect like this would automatically be handled by Tesla and they would ensure that he didn’t blow the issue up.

This is no different than that guy in China who was claiming his brakes failed.

I call total BS on this.. even with the main nut not fastened the wheel would need to be pulled off - with a lot of force. I know this because on my car even after popping the airbag module off and removing the center bolt, it took a lot of force to get the wheel free.
There is no way that that Tesla even left the factory without the nut installed. Zero chance considering whoever pops in the airbag would have noticed it.

On my wheel, there was a “line” of yellow paint indicating that someone checked that the bolt was properly installed.

I believe that this person feels some buyers remorse over the latest pricing fiasco and just wanted an “easy route” to make a case to return his car. He passed the 7-day window and had to come up with something creative.

If this genius thought about it first.. he would have realized that a defect like this would automatically be handled by Tesla and they would ensure that he didn’t blow the issue up.

This is no different than that guy in China who was claiming his brakes failed.
In China case, Tesla immediately denied brake failure issues and the owner was fined $1,412 for defamation.

In Tesla 2020 and 2023 steering wheel cases, Tesla repaired the defects for free and none of these owners are accused of fraudulent claims (except by some of us here in the social media).

• Informative
Reactions: Ken Thomas