Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Windows Shatters on its Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the point he's trying to make is that Nest cameras don't record video until the sound event. So the few seconds of video prior to the sound shouldn't have been recorded. However, perhaps newer nest cameras that are powered via 120 continuously record? The ones I had did not, but perhaps this one could.

I guess I see the point he trying to make, now.. thanks. From the Nest site: Nest Aware - Video Recording Subscription for Nest Cams - Google Store

"Depending on which Nest Aware subscription you have, your camera will record and store either event-based video history or 24/7 video history in the Nest app."

Edit: You beat me to it, Nakk. :)

So what part of the sound of a glass breaking don't you think qualifies as a "sound"? You can even hear small glass particles fall to the ground a few seconds after the initial break sound (which admittedly sound weird, but that's probably because the mic on the cam is dynamic and it was dead quiet, except for literal crickets, until the break).

Breaking glass sound could be easily staged, not saying that is the case, just saying it could be done.

Clearly there is no smoking gun here.

Teslas definitely have some issues and there are plenty of valid complaints. There are also trolls both paid and otherwise attempting to damage Tesla's reputation. So it's always a question when a new person posts something like this. His comments aren't phrased like a question; that I could understand. Also, his spoken comments do not gybe with his written comments. Another issue, watch the video very closely. I did, trying to look through the windshield to see if I could see something happen to the right rear window. Immediately prior to the sound of the window breaking, there are subtle artifacts on the Y's windshield and on the floor. That's something that could happen during video editing, like adding sound effects. There is absolutely no visual evidence of what happened. This is the only video the guy has uploaded to YouTube. So yeah, my FUD alerts are going off. Nothing conclusive, but when you add it all together...

I've put this on a big screen and played it a couple of dozen times. There is no indication anything is happening to the back window. I'm not saying that's definitive, I'm not sure you would see anything given the lighting. I think what you're seeing are the artifacts in the windshield, but those same artifacts are visible in other places--look at the floor--at precisely the same time. And again after the sound. Kind of just like someone edited the video to add sound effects. Certainly there's nothing definitive, but add it all up and it's suspicious at the very least.

If it's not FUD, it's still awfully snarky. If it's real, Tesla will fix it under warranty. The sad fact of life is all cars have issues, and the guy sounds old enough to have figured that out by now. If Tesla had denied warranty coverage I could understand his feelings. Without the comment, I could have commiserated with him. But the snotty "Good luck to you" combined with all of the other warning flags eliminate any sympathy I might have had and any trust that he's being truthful. If it is true, with his attitude and snottiness, good luck to him. Because this isn't "what happens when you buy a Tesla." This is unfortunately what happens to some buyers of any car. *sugar* happens, that's what warranties are for.

EDITED TO ADD: I studied the video a bit more. Watch for artifacts just as the added "Turn Volume Up" drops out of sight. IMHO that confirms that the editing program he used to add the "Turn volume up" adds artifacts at editing points identical to the ones seen just prior to the sound of the "window breaking". Again that doesn't prove anything, but it does beg the question "what was edited at that point?"

I guess compression can do funny things, but even on my phone I can see something happening at the moment of the sound in the back window. Sure you have to be looking for it, but it’s even easier to see on a 15 inch laptop screen. Not sure how you can miss it on a big screen. I understand some people do stupid things and if it turns out something like this was shown to be made up I wouldn’t be shocked beyond belief.

I however don’t like the mindset of automatically assuming anything negative is false. It’s just too rampant lately IMO. Not just with Tesla but everything. For example, love my new Y, but it came with one non-functional wiper. Even worse the included charger didn’t work. Kind of important for an electric car. There’s no problem recognizing faults despite what “side” you’re on, but I digress.

Last edited:
A lot of battery powered ones don't have them. What I don't understand is why people assumed that was the case here.
I can't speak for others, but for me it was several things. First, his narration in the video. His tone was in complete contrast to the post. Second, it was his very first post after owning Teslas for years, also at odds with the narration. He had never posted on youtube,
he had never posted here. But he went to a lot of effort to post this video. By the tone of his narration, he apparently has had horrible luck with Teslas, but just keeps buying them. There is no reference whatsoever to what Tesla Service told him as regards to fixing the window. After all of this time, still no reference to Service at all. He asks if this has ever happened before, when a quick Google search would answer that question. It is clearly obvious that he posted this only to harm Tesla's reputation and was not looking for help or information. That all by itself would not convince me the video was false, but neither does it lend any credence to his veracity. The video may or may not have been edited; it by itself is no proof one way or the other. He is old enough to realize that every car has potential issues, and to know that is what warranties are for. He makes no mention of other issues he has had with Teslas, apparently this one event is enough to make him despise Tesla, in spite of owning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Teslas, and having an order in for another.

None of the above is conclusive, but it is more that enough--all taken together--to at the very least suspect ulterior motives. It just doesn't add up.

Reactions: Dennisis and BDC62
Hi,
I am having a similar issue which my model Y Passenger window shatter (quack) on its own.

just got my model y a little less than a month. Tonight, I was sitting in the driver’s seat while waiting for the system software updating. All of the sudden the passenger side door is making a scary weird noise which I thought it was part of the software updating. Second later, the window shatter and break by itself. It also makes a small damage on the door frame.

Have anyone encountered the similar issue and would this be covered by Tesla warranty?

Attachments

• 06876843-BFE4-4D09-AC3E-B6F9353301DD.jpeg
    06876843-BFE4-4D09-AC3E-B6F9353301DD.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 56
  • 9CABF2B6-A18E-4192-A4ED-70A6D28B6903.jpeg
    9CABF2B6-A18E-4192-A4ED-70A6D28B6903.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 50
  • BE69B423-66F3-4FB7-8CCF-AC54571EDCBC.jpeg
    BE69B423-66F3-4FB7-8CCF-AC54571EDCBC.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 51
So my model Y passenger side window shattered while my system was doing software updating.

According to the Tesla tech team, this is not their fault or factory defect, we all (tesla owners) should know that we should not open the door or even sit inside while the system is doing software updating (Hmmm). The screen showed the message “vehicle can not be operated or driven during this update”. The vehicle was not moved or driven, however sitting inside or even opening the door caused this window to become broken and it’s not under warranty coverage? A warning message should clearly show that even opening the door or sitting inside while the system updates is prohibited. Otherwise it should be 100% under factory warranty. I have no option but to pay half of this damage ($400) that is not even caused by my negligence.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks..

So my model Y passenger side window shattered while my system was doing software updating.

According to the Tesla tech team, this is not their fault or factory defect, we all (tesla owners) should know that we should not open the door or even sit inside while the system is doing software updating (Hmmm). The screen showed the message “vehicle can not be operated or driven during this update”. The vehicle was not moved or driven, however sitting inside or even opening the door caused this window to become broken and it’s not under warranty coverage? A warning message should clearly show that even opening the door or sitting inside while the system updates is prohibited. Otherwise it should be 100% under factory warranty. I have no option but to pay half of this damage ($400) that is not even caused by my negligence.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks..
I agree. I don't think this is something that a customer should be expected to automatically know. Is there a way to appeal or escalate their decision?

You're right. If they knew the window couldn't roll down during an update the screen should clearly say "Warning: opening door during update may break window glass." I don't see how anyone would know this in advance.
No kidding, This awareness should be told as part of the walk thru on the day we pick up the car. Or don’t send the update notice until we are actually away from vehicle or make the damn warning message nice and clear on the screen monitor (i.e. opening the door is consider an operation). There are so many ways to avoid this dumb issue.