Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the weekly Friday Night Drag races last night and had my car parked in the grid area waiting to go on the track for practice runs. Many people at these events have never seen a Tesla before, and one guy asked to look under the hood, so I opened the frunk as well as the rear to show him everything. This attracts an even bigger crowd, so I'm talking with everyone, explaining the car, showing off the screen, giving out brochures, etc…

One guy looks at the car kinda sadly and says "so this car costs about a half-million?" I burst out laughing and said "Oh no!" Then he asks, "more?"

I just lost it, and when I finally stopped laughing, I had to explain that they start at about $60K after the tax credits.

A bit later they have a parade where all of the cars entered into the "Show & Shine" competition ride around Atlanta Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile banked oval track for two laps.

A guy standing behind us said "I heard that a Tesla comes to these events, but I don't see it on the track." My wife told him "that's my husband's car, but he doesn't drive it in the parade, it's topping off its charge in the parking lot behind us." He then asked me how much I liked the car, said he owned seven cars, had just sold his Panamera Turbo S a short time ago and wanted to get a Tesla, but also wanted to talk to an owner first. I told him how great it was and offered to drive him back from the parking lot to the grid.

So he and his three little kids hiked over to the lot, talking the whole way. He'd researched the car, knew the prices, and knew that a loaded P85 cost a good-bit more than the base model. We got to my car and his three kids and my wife got in the backseat (all his kids immediately buckled up, with two of the kids sharing one seatbelt), and he and I got in the front. I told his kids to hang on, and then I did a quick blast up to 60 mph on a very short stretch.

He immediately said "Ok, I'm buying one tonight!" :)

I was at the weekly Friday Night Drag races last night and had my car parked in the grid area waiting to go on the track for practice runs. Many people at these events have never seen a Tesla before, and one guy asked to look under the hood, so I opened the frunk as well as the rear to show him everything. This attracts an even bigger crowd, so I'm talking with everyone, explaining the car, showing off the screen, giving out brochures, etc…

One guy looks at the car kinda sadly and says "so this car costs about a half-million?" I burst out laughing and said "Oh no!" Then he asks, "more?"

I just lost it, and when I finally stopped laughing, I had to explain that they start at about $60K after the tax credits.

A bit later they have a parade where all of the cars entered into the "Show & Shine" competition ride around Atlanta Motor Speedway's 1.5-mile banked oval track for two laps.

A guy standing behind us said "I heard that a Tesla comes to these events, but I don't see it on the track." My wife told him "that's my husband's car, but he doesn't drive it in the parade, it's topping off its charge in the parking lot behind us." He then asked me how much I liked the car, said he owned seven cars, had just sold his Panamera Turbo S a short time ago and wanted to get a Tesla, but also wanted to talk to an owner first. I told him how great it was and offered to drive him back from the parking lot to the grid.

So he and his three little kids hiked over to the lot, talking the whole way. He'd researched the car, knew the prices, and knew that a loaded P85 cost a good-bit more than the base model. We got to my car and his three kids and my wife got in the backseat (all his kids immediately buckled up, with two of the kids sharing one seatbelt), and he and I got in the front. I told his kids to hang on, and then I did a quick blast up to 60 mph on a very short stretch.

He immediately said "Ok, I'm buying one tonight!" :)
+1

We should ask Tesla to provide some white papers on the Tesla to hand out to people that are interested. This car sells itself... :biggrin:

We were just out at a park and got our bag out of the frunk and another couple at the parking lot just had this fixed state of shock frozen on their faces. My wife said "Hey look! Frunk face." She then told me that she and our daughter were at Trader Joe's the day before and saw the same thing and coined the phrase at that time.

We see it all the time but now we have something to call it. It's the combined look of amazement, shock, and confusion that somehow appears to magically get glued to someone's face and it becomes a motionless expression for at least 5 seconds. My wife swears it lasted for a full minute on the guy at Trader Joes.

We ended our outings today at an ice cream parlor and got in the frunk once again and after closing the frunk we turned to walk towards the line and noticed about 5 frunk faces just staring at us. My wife, kids, and I all looked at each other, and just chuckled knowingly.

"Frunk Face"!

Okay, yeah... Frunk Face is definitely one I know will stick. Congrats on coining it.

My two favorite stories so far:
First road trip last year. Was stopped At the Delaware supercharger and having Tesla time with a bit of a doubter. At one point he said somewhat smugly, "Well you know you are still burning coal to charge it!" To which I was happy to reply, "Actually, you see all those solar panels on the fuel station pavilion? They installed those to charge the superchargers whenever the sun is out."

Second story was a local car show I went to recently. The car was very well received and during judging, they decided to put me in the Speciality/Military category and gave me a trophy in the shape of a gas pump. Picture elsewhere in these forums.

Edit: grr.. Autocorrect tried to change it to Drunk Face...

The odds were in my favor. I drove so much today it was bound to happen.

I was nearing the home of another Model S owner when I saw 3 people walking away carrying various items. The girl (late teens) said to me as I was driving by, "We took your hammock, thank you." I was definitely confused. A second later the guy said to her, "He doesn't live there." She then turned around to say to me, "Sorry." I called the Model S owner to confirm the hammock did in fact belong to them and they set it out to the trash. I had to pull over I was laughing so hard. I don't think I would have heard them speak if I was in and ICE.

The odds were in my favor. I drove so much today it was bound to happen.

I was nearing the home of another Model S owner when I saw 3 people walking away carrying various items. The girl (late teens) said to me as I was driving by, "We took your hammock, thank you." I was definitely confused. A second later the guy said to her, "He doesn't live there." She then turned around to say to me, "Sorry." I called the Model S owner to confirm the hammock did in fact belong to them and they set it out to the trash. I had to pull over I was laughing so hard. I don't think I would have heard them speak if I was in and ICE.
I'm just glad they took my hammock! Either they've forgotten that my Tesla is blue, or after seeing your MC red in my driveway in the dark Friday night they assumed all Teslas live here now?

I love that story on multiple levels!

I had a printer repair person come to my office to repair our printer. As we are walking to the printer he starts talking about Tesla. Basically how great it is, and how he really enjoyed test driving it. I let him go on for a bit, generally always agreeing with him... and then asked him if he wanted to see my Tesla. His jaw almost hit the ground and he eagerly wanted to see my car.
Talked Tesla for another 30 minutes while showing him the car.

A couple of stories, one recent, one old:

1) I was visiting a local butcher and he saw the car and asked about it. I was the only customer, they'd just opened, so I offered him a ride. Out we went and zipped around for maybe 6-7 minutes and back. He was pretty pumped and threw in an extra steak for free! He always remembers me now when we go back.

2) My cousin had my car for a week while I was on vacation. I told her drive it however much you like. She only ended up having time to use it for commuting, but loved it. Saw her last weekend and she said she's been going through Tesla withdrawal :)

I had a couple fun experiences almost back to back. We were at dinner at a friends house. There were 3 couples. Toward the end of the evening I mentioned we needed to be up early the next day to shop for a hybrid for my wife (Can't afford two Teslas). One other guy (a techie like me) got all animated and said "If you REALLY want to get a cool car you should get a Tesla." Then he went on for several sentences explaining to us what it was. When he paused I said, "Mine is out in the driveway if you want look at it." Response: "YOU own a TESLA!!

Then the next day we were shopping for an Accord Hybrid. In the test drive the salesman went on about "See how good the pickup is!" When we got back I asked if he was interested in a ride in my P85. We pulled onto the street, I hit the pedal and got the typical response "HOLY S#!T!!" When we got back he with his huge grin went over to tell all the other sales guys standing around in the parking lot.

I had a couple fun experiences almost back to back. We were at dinner at a friends house. There were 3 couples. Toward the end of the evening I mentioned we needed to be up early the next day to shop for a hybrid for my wife (Can't afford two Teslas). One other guy (a techie like me) got all animated and said "If you REALLY want to get a cool car you should get a Tesla." Then he went on for several sentences explaining to us what it was. When he paused I said, "Mine is out in the driveway if you want look at it." Response: "YOU own a TESLA!!

Then the next day we were shopping for an Accord Hybrid. In the test drive the salesman went on about "See how good the pickup is!" When we got back I asked if he was interested in a ride in my P85. We pulled onto the street, I hit the pedal and got the typical response "HOLY S#!T!!" When we got back he with his huge grin went over to tell all the other sales guys standing around in the parking lot.

Tesla Evangelism at it's finest! Preach on brother!

Someone asked me today "well what happens if you leave the headlights lights on?" I replied "The software shuts them off after a few minutes, however if it didn't I suppose they would stay on for a few months." Wow!

I just now did the math, they would stay on for almost a month (excluding all other loads and assuming draining the battery to 0.)

Someone asked me today "well what happens if you leave the headlights lights on?" I replied "The software shuts them off after a few minutes, however if it didn't I suppose they would stay on for a few months." Wow!

I just now did the math, they would stay on for almost a month (excluding all other loads and assuming draining the battery to 0.)

Interesting enough, Musk was asked the same question during Export-Import conference:

Elon Musk Tesla SpaceX | Video | C-SPAN.org

(mentioned in the first minute)

We were just out at a park and got our bag out of the frunk and another couple at the parking lot just had this fixed state of shock frozen on their faces. My wife said "Hey look! Frunk face."...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30729-1386490263-2.gif

Reactions: EvolutionTeʂla
I just finished my order, but as part of the process deciding if I was going to make the plunge I was allowed to take one home for a couple days from Fremont.. My favorite scene happened on sunol road where a porsche 911 decided to see if I could keep up... I could.