Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors 2016 Annual Shareholder Meeting: Live feed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure . . . but that's not what you normally do in a shareholder meeting. Most investors are wanting info pertaining to products in the pipeline, margins, deliveries on track or behind, etc. etc. Each to his own.

Shareholder meetings vary quite a lot. I think what you are describing fits better with quarterly financial calls.. they addressed most of that information last month in the 1st quarter call.

Reactions: Nevek
In fact Elon is an unusual CEO for his openness in acknowledging mistakes he has made. Yesterday he did it several times. Obviously he takes responsibility, he's the CEO. And he was clear about what steps he has taken to correct those mistakes. You either didn't listen or only heard what you wanted to hear.
It is sad that we have such low expectations for CEOs, politicians and other leaders that we get excited when someone does nothing except acknowledges a mistake.

Real leaders fix their mistakes.

I laugh when I hear the "I take full responsibility" line.
Will you fix it. No
Will you forfeit your bonus? No
Will it have any impact on you at all? No

Well, thanks for taking responsibility then.

It is sad that we have such low expectations for CEOs, politicians and other leaders that we get excited when someone does nothing except acknowledges a mistake.

Real leaders fix their mistakes.

I laugh when I hear the "I take full responsibility" line.
Will you fix it. No
Will you forfeit your bonus? No
Will it have any impact on you at all? No

Well, thanks for taking responsibility then.
1) Acknowledging an issue alone is a big deal. Most executives focus on the positive and leave out all the issues, even at large companies where they can guarantee something went wrong.

2) If the company still performed well, should they give up the bonus? Some mistakes are mistakes of omission rather than commission.

3) People like Elon are huge owners of the firm anyway. They're paying a big part of it themselves to begin with.

Elon is leagues better than your average CEO, because he makes it clear he's thoughtful and is deeply connected to what the firm does. I don't see that with all CEO's - very few even write a real letter that wasn't put together by the PR team to their shareholders. Warren Buffett does, but how many others?

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I guess you weren't listening to those parts of the talk. EM constantly mentioned things they learned from the early mistakes. I'd rather have a CEO who thinks like Elon Musk than one who thinks like Bob Lutz.

I'm always suspicious of leaders who are unwilling to admit they made mistakes. Refusing to admit it is a sign of a weak person, no matter what kind of front they put up and admitting it is a sign of a strong person who is striving to improve themselves and their performance. You can't fix your problems until you're willing to admit you have them.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D