Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors and Government Money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol I read the same thing on the truth about cars website (which is full of freaks by the way).

The responses were equally amusing (several "ponzi scheme" references), though a few people appeared in defense of Tesla... oh and to point out the lack of factual evidence for any of this :rolleyes:

Reading the article it reminded me one of the terms of the loans was for the company to have matching funds. Perhaps that is why Tesla needs to take deposits so early.

Kind of off topic, but I don't know where people come up with calling Tesla a Ponzi scheme. I can see how vaporware might seem like a term that applies, but Ponzi scheme doesn't connect at all; maybe people just watched the recent news and came up with that.

I think its just one of those terms that conspiracy-theorists like to throw around (like 'North American Union', or 'mole-people').

I met a girl the other day that was CONVINCED that Bush had destroyed the twin towers with missiles so he could invade Iraq and steal their oil. :eek:

You would think these same conspiracy theorists would be in FAVOR of Tesla Motors, eh? Ween ourselves off of oil and prevent the government from bombing another financial landmark :rolleyes:

I met a girl the other day that was CONVINCED that Bush had destroyed the twin towers with missiles so he could invade Iraq and steal their oil. :eek:

A fairly common conspiracy theory, as promoted by the film Loose Change, which is an interesting watch but is far too quick to present as facts some statements which are anything but. The producer/director was interviewed in a British documentary about the events recently and came across as a little bit wacko. They also disproved many of the film's assertions, but there are a few unanswered questions still.

Anyway, back on topic...

Why are they showing off the Model S prototype in Washington D.C. on April 1?
Didn't they already say that the loans are approved? Why the "dog and pony"?

When did they say they have the loans approved? Are you referring to the announcement by Musk which was corrected promptly afterwards (the message was supposed to be that if they were approved, the funds should be dispersed quickly, but Musk made it sound like Tesla was approved already), or is this some other news?

Last edited by a moderator:
U.S. Government Fuels $350M Tesla Loan

I don't see any retraction or correction there.

But I think Rachel Konrad later that day or the next corrected Elon's statement. The article you linked to is likely inaccurate, if it followed close on the heels of Elon's announcement, and was released before the correction by Rachel.

Yes, I am referring to Rachel Konrad's correction. I guess they didn't correct all of the articles (not good to do so on such a misleading statement).

See the correction made here:
Tesla Model S: Tesla Model S Coming March 26, But Where's The DOE Funding?

Red Herring certainly wasn't the only place, though.

Tesla Motors To Receive $350 Million In Loans | Automobiles, Transportation, Vehicles
The company's shrewd loan application to the government has also been approved. It expects to receive $350 million in loans over the next four to five months, in addition to the $40 million of venture capital it recently signed up. The company also said it is still on track to develop an electric version of the Smart in a partnership with Daimler.
Tesla Gets Federal Bailout Dough - Where Are The Jobs Going To Be?

Last edited:
They might want to contact "Red Herring" (a popular publication). I doubt Red Herring readers would go looking for corrections over on Jalopnik...

Yes, I assumed they contacted others and corrected it but I guess they didn't. It could be that this email newsletter was supposed to be only for customers and the media picked it up, so they didn't bother going around to try to find all the outlets that picked it up (they only made clarifications after Jalopnik contacted them), since it isn't a standard press release where they know who picked it up.

In the original message:
Regarding funding, I am excited to report that the Department of Energy informed Tesla last week that they expect to disburse funds from our $350M Model S loan application within four to five months.
Which strongly implies the DOE already approved the application but is waiting to give the funding.

The blog entry which was off by one day had a very slight change in wording:
Tesla Motors - Tesla Leadership
Regarding funding, I am excited to report that the Department of Energy informed Tesla last week that they may disburse funds from our $350M Model S loan application within four to five months.
This seems to imply things are not set yet and they are still deciding on the application.
The wording is still iffy and it seems to me Elon could have made it much clearer that the loan isn't approved yet just by adding "pending application approval".

Last edited:
Yeah - just searching on Tesla and "$350 million" turns up many places that ran with the original "story" and no correction...

Breaking: Tesla to Unveil Model S Sedan on March 26 and Has Been Accepted for $350 M in Government Loans to Build it - AllCarsElectric.com

Note, the above story quotes it as a "Press Release", not a customer newsletter...

http://www.zoomilife.com/2009/02/11...o-unveil-model-s-in-march-go-on-sale-in-2011/Tesla Gets $350m Loan, To Unveil Model S in March, Go On Sale In 2011

This one gives more details and poses some questions:
Timeline Revealed for DOE Loan Program: Don’t Get Your Hopes Up

Last edited:
Greentech Media | BrightSource, Tesla Expect Fed Loans Soon

Tesla, an electric carmaker in San Carlos, Calif., also applied for money under the 2005 legislation. But it has since applied to a different loan guarantee program and is hoping to receive about $450 million under the program created by the Sec. 136 of the $25 billion Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing Program (ATVM), which Congress created as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. Congress set aside $7.5 billion last fall for the program, which aims to help car and auto parts manufacturers outfit their factories for producing energy-efficient cars.

The terms of a ATVM loan guarantee is more favorable than the one created in 2005, said Rachel Konrad, a Tesla spokeswoman. The DOE hasn't announced any loan guarantee approvals from this program, but has said it could do so within weeks, Konrad noted.

"It allows you to amortize certain engineering costs, among other factors. It's a less expensive loan – if you look at all the terms," said Konrad, who declined to disclose how much savings Tesla would get.

Tesla is seeking $350 million to build a factory for its second electric car model called Model S, as well as another $100 million for powertrain manufacturing, Konrad said.

This is a typical sales tactic. I actually think it is quite smart. Get the media stating that the DOE has accepted the application and will disperse funds and now the DOE has the issue of, if it were to decide to deny the application, explaining why it is now denying the application when it seemed like a done deal.

Almost like a salesman having you sign your name next to some arbitrary figure. It creates the illusion of commitment.

I personally hope it works...

Maybe this was on purpose, maybe not, but I think it was a good move.

Sometimes a strategy like that can backfire if the other party resents having words put in their mouth. For instance, when CARB started to tell the auto industry that not only do we want their EVs, but they MUST make some, it seemed that was part of the story that turned it into a "if you say we must then you can't have any" sort of response.

Lets just hope it isn't another "counted your chickens before they hatched" story.

Solyndra funding is a good sign though.
Solyndra Snags DOE Loan Guarantee No. 1

It does appear that the DOE loan logjam/floodgates are finally open.