Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Won't Need More Money, Says CEO Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some interesting items from the conference call Q&A:

Other items from the Tesla Q+A call:

-The 2012 Tesla Model S does not compete with other electric cars, but with premium sedans like the Audi A6 or A8, the BMW 5- or 7-Series, and the Porsche Panamera

-Tesla expects buyers to order $10,000 to $15,000 worth of options on Model S vehicles

-The company expects to deliver 5,000 Model S cars during the second half of 2012

-It looks "increasingly likely" that the Model S sedan will earn five-star safety ratings "in all categories," Musk said

-The Model X crossover is not cannibalizing sales of the Model S sedan; in fact, "we've seen higher Model S reservations" as a result of Model X publicity

-The Model X is the fastest-selling Tesla model in history, and generated $40 million in sales since the concept was unveiled last week

-Tesla plans to sell the Model S and Model X in China; it thinks the Model X crossover in particular will have "a lot of appeal there"

-After the Model X, the next Tesla vehicle will be a "third-generation" volume car with a price "in the $30,000 range"

-The company made that decision because, Musk said, it had "gained enough confidence that our battery technology is scalable to higher
volumes sooner than we thought"

-As a consequence, the next generation of Tesla Roadster will be "pushed out four years or so," meaning a 2015 model

-Tesla will provide a complete powertrain--not just a battery pack and charging equipment--to Mercedes-Benz for a future vehicle program

Tesla Motors Won't Need More Money, Says CEO Musk

So:

2012: S
2013: X
2014: bluestar
2015: roadster?

I could see there being a gap after X, so maybe 2015 and 2016 (though elon has stated they want to do a model per year)

I agree because "Bluestar" and the Roadster could be on smaller platforms then the current Model S platform.

Odd the Audi A7, being a hatchback as well, isn't mentioned, which I believe has the look and functionality of the Model S.

Maybe the Tesla does not see the Audi A7 as competition...lol

So:

I could see there being a gap after X, so maybe 2015 and 2016 (though elon has stated they want to do a model per year)

I think the first car off the bluestar platform will be the next gen Roadster. As a sports car, it can sell at higher prices and recoup higher margins which help to cover the development costs for that platform.

With the Roadster scheduled for 2015, there is a gap at 2014. A possible solution for the "one model every year" statement would mean another car base off the Model S platform. One investor presentation from Tesla featured a coupe (would be silly to be followed by the roadster) and a minivan (but who wants one of these after Model X?).
I don't see things fit together here.

So:

The Model X is supposed to start limited delivers in 2013 but will probably be mostly a 2014 start for the bulk of the initial production.

I think the first car off the bluestar platform will be the next gen Roadster. As a sports car, it can sell at higher prices and recoup higher margins which help to cover the development costs for that platform.
I agree. I would think they could introduce the next gen Roadster in early 2014 after Model X starts deliveries for delivery in 2015. Hopefully the blue star could start delivery in late 2015 or 2016.

-After the Model X, the next Tesla vehicle will be a "third-generation" volume car with a price "in the $30,000 range"

-The company made that decision because, Musk said, it had "gained enough confidence that our battery technology is scalable to higher
volumes sooner than we thought"

-As a consequence, the next generation of Tesla Roadster will be "pushed out four years or so," meaning a 2015 model

Hasn't Elon already said that the ~$30,000 comes before the next gen roadster?