Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla nears debut of new 400-mile China-made Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know? You tell me! How much free space is there under the floor of a Model 3?

In all seriousness, with the Leaf Nissan was able to increase the density of the pack. It’s always possible Tesla has managed something similar but their battery tech was already miles ahead of Nissan’s so... who knows.
It's all about improved chemistry. There was a report from Dalhousie university several month ago about a breakthrough. Perhaps we may start to see this improvment in Tesla's products...

Reactions: GZDongles
This would be excellent news if true! Is there any reason that this wouldn't make its way back to the US Model 3? With my delivery postponed at least quarter due to COVID-19, I'd jump at the chance to pay for an option to get some additional range.

Does anyone have any initial back of the envelope math on how this could effect price and acceleration (due to increased pack weight)?

I think a good rule of thumb is that if a battery breakthrough is being reported at the university level, it's like 5 years away from production at the absolute best case. This could be related to better chemistry, but I wonder if it's also possible to physically change the module architecture of the Model 3 to increase the number of cells in that physical space.

Or it's possible that as a poster above suggested that this is just the return of the RWD variant advertised with its true rated range...

But would/should they do it?
There are no free lunches. You trade armor for money and environmental issues.
This is why you can buy a Chinese 2020 4 door EV in India for less than $9000 nicely equipped.
China and India will make the transition to EVs before the US hits the tipping point because they can sell a lighter, less safe car.

I agree with WilliamG, that much increase in capacity is unlikely at this stage. It took Nissan 5 years to increase the LEAF's capacity from 24kWh to 30, and that's perfectly achievable via better chemistry and cell density. The new LEAF is designed from the start to take the 62kWh battery and it's a different vehicle compare to the original 24kWh LEAF.

I'm not saying a 100kWh Model 3 isn't possible, but it's just very unlikely at this stage.

There are no free lunches. You trade armor for money and environmental issues.
This is why you can buy a Chinese 2020 4 door EV in India for less than $9000 nicely equipped.
China and India will make the transition to EVs before the US hits the tipping point because they can sell a lighter, less safe car.

Not really, Tesla isn't selling cars at a significant discount in China compare to the US so there is no way that they will engineer a different vehicle to be less safe. Besides safety rating is very important to Chinese car buyers nowadays, especially buyers of premium vehicles. Governmental safety and environmental standard are also improving every year as buyers become less sensitive about price but grow more conscious about quality of their product. Sure you can still get extreme cheap deathtrap cars but that's the buyer's choice, and it is increasingly the exception rather than the norm.

I agree with WilliamG, that much increase in capacity is unlikely at this stage. It took Nissan 5 years to increase the LEAF's capacity from 24kWh to 30, and that's perfectly achievable via better chemistry and cell density. The new LEAF is designed from the start to take the 62kWh battery and it's a different vehicle compare to the original 24kWh LEAF.

I'm not saying a 100kWh Model 3 isn't possible, but it's just very unlikely at this stage.

It is entirely pointless to push a 100 kWh entry level sedan in the Chinese market where the vast majority of EVs have less than 200km range. And that is what THIS thread is about, not pushing 100kWh models in America where the average family income for EV owners remains over $150,000 a year.

China is not the USA. You can't see 400 meters in the city on some smoggy days. It is worse than Los Angeles in the early '70's.

The Leaf is an entirely underwhelming car today. They put a huge step in the cargo area of the big battery variant, it has truly lackluster performance, and the build quality of even the Hyundai Niro EV is superior.

Not really, Tesla isn't selling cars at a significant discount in China compare to the US so there is no way that they will engineer a different vehicle to be less safe. Besides safety rating is very important to Chinese car buyers nowadays, especially buyers of premium vehicles. Governmental safety and environmental standard are also improving every year as buyers become less sensitive about price but grow more conscious about quality of their product. Sure you can still get extreme cheap deathtrap cars but that's the buyer's choice, and it is increasingly the exception rather than the norm.

It's a little crazy to use the term Death Trap on any car made anywhere today. No car sold today anywhere is less than 10x safer than a VW bug. 25 mph crashes were lethal in most cases.

Even though Tesla China lists the range figure as "new national standard cycle" it's suppose to be the same as NEDC, that's why originally imported SR+s were advertised of having 480km of range, however since domestic production started the ranges have been revised down to 445km (well 445km is on domestic LG Chem batt while original imported Panasonic cells will yield 455km), the imported LR is listed at 590km and P3D is at 595km. This means they can't really be NEDC, but more closely resembles WLTP cycle. If P3D is listed as 595km simply a new rear wheel drive LR model with the same 74kwh battery will yield the reported 650km range.

It looks like you were right! It's simply a relaunch of the RWD model made in the Shanghai factory. I wonder if it will eventually be relaunched in the U.S. as well? It's a compelling offer for people who are focused on range.

Electrek article