Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla nears debut of new 400-mile China-made Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"The vehicle would have a range of more than 650 kilometers (404 miles) on one charge, compared with about 450 kilometers for the current most basic version that starts at 323,800 yuan ($45,800), the people said, asking not to be identified as the information isn’t public."

...."the people said", not the best source

In China they use the NEDC cycle. You have to divide by 1.43 to get the approx EPA equivalent.

[edit]
Not sure why the Tesla numbers don't seem to correlate well. China's LR model is 370mi NEDC, and the US 322mi EPA. That's a 15% difference. The smaller model difference is only 11%. Maybe I remembered the conversion number wrong, maybe it's only around 13%. Still, if you apply that conversion, you get around 355miles EPA. I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Even though Tesla China lists the range figure as "new national standard cycle" it's suppose to be the same as NEDC, that's why originally imported SR+s were advertised of having 480km of range, however since domestic production started the ranges have been revised down to 445km (well 445km is on domestic LG Chem batt while original imported Panasonic cells will yield 455km), the imported LR is listed at 590km and P3D is at 595km. This means they can't really be NEDC, but more closely resembles WLTP cycle. If P3D is listed as 595km simply a new rear wheel drive LR model with the same 74kwh battery will yield the reported 650km range.

Even though Tesla China lists the range figure as "new national standard cycle" it's suppose to be the same as NEDC, that's why originally imported SR+s were advertised of having 480km of range, however since domestic production started the ranges have been revised down to 445km (well 445km is on domestic LG Chem batt while original imported Panasonic cells will yield 455km), the imported LR is listed at 590km and P3D is at 595km. This means they can't really be NEDC, but more closely resembles WLTP cycle. If P3D is listed as 595km simply a new rear wheel drive LR model with the same 74kwh battery will yield the reported 650km range.
Thanks, that makes more sense, because the conversion factor looked more like WTLP to EPA and not NEDC to EPA. Still weird.

Was the Nissan leaf significantly redesigned when they went from 24kWh to 30kWh? Or the new 40kWh or 62kWh battery???

I don’t know? You tell me! How much free space is there under the floor of a Model 3?

In all seriousness, with the Leaf Nissan was able to increase the density of the pack. It’s always possible Tesla has managed something similar but their battery tech was already miles ahead of Nissan’s so... who knows.

Reactions: GZDongles