Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to have a master switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Teslas are basically computers on wheels, yet they don't have a master switch which can power everything off at least temporarily to reset the car (yes you can do that by removing the frunk and disconnecting the 12V and the fireman loop, but that is not user friendly). Before you tell me how you can restart with the steering wheel buttons, it is not the same, read below.

I recently got into my 2015 Model S, everything seemed normal, both screens came on as usual, but when I tried shifting the car to drive, I got the "systems powering up" message which didn't go away for a couple of minutes. So, I did what every Tesla customer quickly learns to do, I rebooted the main screen with the 2 thumb salute. While the car immediately allowed me to drive as soon as the main screen went dark, the main screen stayed dark. So I waited a couple of minutes again - nothing. In case you're thinking EMMC dying, I replaced it earlier this year with hardened part which has been working flawlessly since, so that's not it. Then I tried rebooting the IC with the two button reboot - no go. So I tried with the brake pedal, still nothing. While waiting there contemplating driving the other Model S as my wife was starting to get impatient after 10 minutes, finally the IC went dark too. Then, the MCU finally showed the grey screen Tesla logo, still took way longer than usual to boot but eventually came up - once got passed the grey screen is booted nice and fast as usual. Only then the IC finally booted up, and the car was drivable again. 10+ minutes of messing around not knowing whether the car is drivable or not, why isn't there a master reset switch which would allow customers to do a true system reset? I get that Tesla probably hasn't tested for cars sitting in the garage for many days at a time due to Covid-19, but that is exactly what power off resets are for in consumer electronics. Yes Tesla has the steering wheel buttons, but given my experience here, they are not hard reboots, and evidently software can block them. Maybe a big orange, dual hand master reset witch in the frunk (to make sure people don't hit it while driving). It would also be helpful when the MCU dies to prevent the HVAC from running 24/7 until it's fixed.

Teslas are basically computers on wheels, yet they don't have a master switch which can power everything off at least temporarily to reset the car (yes you can do that by removing the frunk and disconnecting the 12V and the fireman loop, but that is not user friendly). Before you tell me how you can restart with the steering wheel buttons, it is not the same, read below.

I recently got into my 2015 Model S, everything seemed normal, both screens came on as usual, but when I tried shifting the car to drive, I got the "systems powering up" message which didn't go away for a couple of minutes. So, I did what every Tesla customer quickly learns to do, I rebooted the main screen with the 2 thumb salute. While the car immediately allowed me to drive as soon as the main screen went dark, the main screen stayed dark. So I waited a couple of minutes again - nothing. In case you're thinking EMMC dying, I replaced it earlier this year with hardened part which has been working flawlessly since, so that's not it. Then I tried rebooting the IC with the two button reboot - no go. So I tried with the brake pedal, still nothing. While waiting there contemplating driving the other Model S as my wife was starting to get impatient after 10 minutes, finally the IC went dark too. Then, the MCU finally showed the grey screen Tesla logo, still took way longer than usual to boot but eventually came up - once got passed the grey screen is booted nice and fast as usual. Only then the IC finally booted up, and the car was drivable again. 10+ minutes of messing around not knowing whether the car is drivable or not, why isn't there a master reset switch which would allow customers to do a true system reset? I get that Tesla probably hasn't tested for cars sitting in the garage for many days at a time due to Covid-19, but that is exactly what power off resets are for in consumer electronics. Yes Tesla has the steering wheel buttons, but given my experience here, they are not hard reboots, and evidently software can block them. Maybe a big orange, dual hand master reset witch in the frunk (to make sure people don't hit it while driving). It would also be helpful when the MCU dies to prevent the HVAC from running 24/7 until it's fixed.
I do the “four finger salute” (simultaneously press and hold both scroll wheels and buttons for 10 seconds) until both screens go dark and reboot.

I do the “four finger salute” (simultaneously press and hold both scroll wheels and buttons for 10 seconds) until both screens go dark and reboot.
I haven't tried that one, but since the IC was not rebooting, I suspect it wouldn't have made a any difference. I suspect something other than the IC and MCU was causing all the confusion blocking both the IC and MCU from working properly or even rebooting.

@whitex

Mine did that about 2 weeks ago, after a system update in the evening. Next morning, the MCU was dark, so I did the 2 finger reboot, felt like doing a 1 finger reboot j/k.

After that the IC went black too so 2 fingered it, then I waited for the MCU to come up and all was good, no issues since.

The unexplained.

Reactions: whitex