Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read some old thread that there's a tesla NEMA 14-50 outlet ... Is that still exist and true? Is that better than one ordered from homedepot? Someone mentioned that 14-50 outlet is not meant to be plug/unplug frequently, any 'premium' model exist?

No the Tesla UMC will plug into a NEMA 14-50 which is a standard 50 amp 220V outlet often found on wiring for stoves and is common in trailer parks. Buying the outlet a local place is perfectly fine and what I did which has served me well for over 5 years now.

We have 2 NEMA 14-50s installed (2 garages), done 3 years ago by SolarCity installers at the time of a big solar install. We hardly ever unplug our UMCs since we charge locally and at home, and Supercharge on the road. FWIW, I initially thought we would be unplugging and plugging in our UMSs a lot, and I was worried about the integrity of the NEMA 14-50R receptacle (was it rated for a lot of 'cycling' before the springy pins failed?). I ended up buying an extra NEMA 14-50 adapter from TM for the UMC. When I do disconnect, I do it at the UMC and I do not unplug the NEMA 14-50 from the NEMA 14-50R. I figured if there was a failure, it would be easier to replace the adapter/UMC than calling an electrician out to replace the NEMA 14-50R. YMMV.

I read some old thread that there's a tesla NEMA 14-50 outlet ... Is that still exist and true? Is that better than one ordered from homedepot? Someone mentioned that 14-50 outlet is not meant to be plug/unplug frequently, any 'premium' model exist?
There are, but they are generally unnecessary because the only time you unplug them is when you go on a trip or do the annual service (Tesla likes to test the UMC). For me that amounts to about five times a year, so a standard receptacle will last for decades.

Unfortunately, there is no standard for "cycles" in the large format receptacles. UL testing requires that it be able to withstand unplugging in an overload condition without significant damage, but that doesn't test mechanical wear.

I've seen (and fixed) some of the less-expensive Leviton receptacles, where the ground was no longer making a good connection and was tripping the UMC's ground detection circuitry.

This is what a Hubbell engineer had to say about the matter when I inquired:

Hubbell said:
No tests for number of cycles. Electrically test is up to 250 [cycles] under a severe electrical loads mating and un-mating or breaking. There is usually no damage to the plugs that would affect their performance. Additionally the plugs are routinely submitted to go up to thousands of cycles with no physical degradation. However the mechanical and electrical endurance will depend on the receptacle design and condition and the electrical loads it must handle.

If you do experience a problem, it's likely going to be after about 5-10 years of daily plugging/unplugging. If you make it that far without installing a wall connector, then congratulations - you might need a new $10 receptacle. :)