Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Norway says Vision Park Assist after court loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Google Translation)

To his own great surprise, Norang was to receive support from Tesla Norway's own witness.

In the district court, Tesla's witness, technical manager Emil Svenrup in Tesla Norway, acknowledged and confirmed the weaknesses and shortcomings of the Tesla vision.

In the judgment, he is quoted as saying that Tesla vision can provide collision warnings even if the car is standing on a flat grassy area, because the camera system does not recognize and understand the surroundings around the car.

Also, the Teslas may think that a garage door that is open is instead closed.
- When you back out of the garage, the camera system can "remember" that there was a wall or gate behind the car when you drove into the garage. Then you can experience a warning about an obstacle, even if the garage door is open and there are no obstacles, Svenrup said in the district court, according to the judgement.

The solution, according to the technical manager, is that drivers must get out of the car to make sure there are no obstacles before driving on.

Not sure that I like that the system has a "memory" that doesn't match current conditions...

Not sure that I like that the system has a "memory" that doesn't match current conditions...

That's the drawback of a fairly large forward blind spot. Until they add a bumper camera (like Cybertruck and the Semi have) to all the vehicles they're inherently limited in their ability to detect what is right in front of the bumper and have to rely on memory.

FWIW I don't find the ultrasonics that great either. They're good for detecting large obvious obstacles (like the wall of a parking garage) but they're not actually that helpful for putting the front bumper close to a curb in front of you without touching it.

I have USS but I turned it off for now, because I am also experimenting with the new auto-park feature.

Surprisingly, (so far) I'm not missing USS much. Also, although auto-park is slow, I'm finding more situations where I can use it effectively.

I plan to keep the settings this way for few more months and see what happens.