Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not producing any more Performance models for duration of the year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on 11/23...website said 2-4 weeks. Now it’s updated to 3-5 weeks from delivery date.

I just got off the phone with my 3rd SA (my first two were basically non-responsive) and she said that it’s unlikely anyone will be getting any performance models before end of year. I’m kind of disappointed. What is going on there?

What happens to our tax credits if we don’t take delivery by year end? I stupidly opened a credit check a week or so after and now I am paying the price of it if I can’t get a VIN to complete the process :/

Super disappointed. Anyone else hear this from their SA?

• Funny
Reactions: Haeffelin
I placed an order on 11/23...website said 2-4 weeks. Now it’s updated to 3-5 weeks from delivery date.

I just got off the phone with my 3rd SA (my first two were basically non-responsive) and she said that it’s unlikely anyone will be getting any performance models before end of year. I’m kind of disappointed. What is going on there?

What happens to our tax credits if we don’t take delivery by year end? I stupidly opened a credit check a week or so after and now I am paying the price of it if I can’t get a VIN to complete the process :/

The SAs really don't know. I wouldn't put any weight into what they told you. If you ordered your car already, I would assume you will receive it before end of year. For her to say there will be no more performance models delivered for the rest of the year seems like an ignorant statement to make. I'm sure there are thousands of performance purchasers waiting for their vehicles.

Reactions: Haeffelin

Sounds like another SA who doesn’t know what’s going on. Plenty of people are getting g delivery dates and taking delivery of performance versions now. See performance waiting room thread.

The SAs really don't know. I wouldn't put any weight into what they told you. If you ordered your car already, I would assume you will receive it before end of year. For her to say there will be no more performance models delivered for the rest of the year seems like an ignorant statement to make. I'm sure there are thousands of performance purchasers waiting for their vehicles.
By the way, if for some reason you don't or can't take delivery by end of year, your federal tax credit will disappear. There may be other credits available to you through your state or power provider. You'll need to check into those. All federal tax credits for Teslas vanish as of 1/1/2020.

Maybe she meant that if you ordered now (in Dec) that it won’t be delivered by 12/31/19. There are probably thousands of performance ordered in Oct/Nov that has not been delivered yet. Can’t believe that those cars will not be delivered by 12/31/19. Also, like kilotango74 said, there are plenty of Performance people currently scheduled to take delivery in Dec.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
One SA is telling me that I’m “definitely” getting it by year end, the other one is telling me last 2 weeks of Dec and the third one today is telling me it will be well after. I ordered it because the site was saying I would be able to get a tax credit because if I ordered when I did, I would get it before year end.

The process here is confusing and stressful...but for her to say no more are being made is...kind of weird? Why wouldn’t Tesla want to deliver to a buyer willing to pay for the most expensive model 3 they make? It just doesn’t make sense. And the fact that the advisors don’t know is mind blowing.

By the way, if for some reason you don't or can't take delivery by end of year, your federal tax credit will disappear. There may be other credits available to you through your state or power provider. You'll need to check into those. All federal tax credits for Teslas vanish as of 1/1/2020.
Well, it’s less about me taking delivery before end of year if I can’t and more about not being able to if Tesla can’t deliver it.

I’m ready to take delivery before end of year but the radio silence and confusion around the process isn’t helpful in the slightest. I am being told drastically different things by different people.

i think tesla is an example of a company that grew way too big way too fast. they just can't keep up with demand and staffing is a real problem for them. this morning my powerwall install was pushed back 2 months, and when i tried to call in to confirm that the computer told me the wait to talk to someone was 1 hour. luckily they confirmed the new appointment by text, so all is well, but 1h wait is preposterous.

we shall see if they actually deliver these cars. i agree that it is needlessly stressful but when they are in a situation where there's a buyer for every single thing they produce, they don't have a lot of incentive to spend time and money optimizing the customer experience.

i think tesla is an example of a company that grew way too big way too fast. they just can't keep up with demand and staffing is a real problem for them. this morning my powerwall install was pushed back 2 months, and when i tried to call in to confirm that the computer told me the wait to talk to someone was 1 hour. luckily they confirmed the new appointment by text, so all is well, but 1h wait is preposterous.

we shall see if they actually deliver these cars. i agree that it is needlessly stressful but when they are in a situation where there's a buyer for every single thing they produce, they don't have a lot of incentive to spend time and money optimizing the customer experience.
That’s the thing - customer experience is so key. The SA was like “yeah we do things differently” to which I replied that different isn’t bad unless the customer experience is worse. And this is exactly that. People can track a pizza being made but they can’t update any one of their customers on the status of their order? It’s bizarre.

You'll get your performance they want as many sales as possible before 12/31
You're right. People need to remember that Tesla is a public company. The more deliveries they make in 4Q19, the better things will be for their shareholders. It's in their best interest to pump out cars and work their employees overtime like crazy. The only bad part for us 4Q Tesla buyers is quality. We'll likely get our cars.. but they might look like the disfigured step child no one wanted. But hey, while that sucks and all, it'll be the fastest and nicest car I've ever owned... so I'm stoked!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Canceled one order on December 02, reordered a P the same day.
SA told me a couple of days ago to expect delivery in the 3rd week of December in Denver.
If it turns out that your care may not make it to you before the end of the year, you can ask to change the pick up location to Fremont, CA, take a factory tour and drive it home. It could get the car in your possession before Jan 01,2020....Just a thought.

Welcome @endymion. I think there's a good chance Tesla will deliver your car before end of year as performance models like yours are higher margin and Tesla has a strong incentive to deliver higher margin cars before end of the quarter. If you don't get your car by the end of the year, don't fret too much on missing the $1750, many of us who ordered before you payed quite a bit more even after our tax breaks (Q3 2018 delivery). Whenever you get it your going to love your Performance 3.

Welcome @endymion. I think there's a good chance Tesla will deliver your car before end of year as performance models like yours are higher margin and Tesla has a strong incentive to deliver higher margin cars before end of the quarter. If you don't get your car by the end of the year, don't fret too much on missing the $1750, many of us who ordered before you payed quite a bit more even after our tax breaks (Q3 2018 delivery). Whenever you get it your going to love your Performance 3.
That’s what I figured. Thanks for a bit of confidence on that front. Will just hold out for the next week or so and follow up with the SAs again.

A bunch of people (including me) got their VINs yesterday, some of whom (me) ordered after you did. Did you check to see if you have a VIN? If so, I think you can be confident you'll get it before the end of the year as that means they've already matched you to a car.

For me personally, I called the Tesla store I'll be picking up from after I got my VIN and they said the car should be arriving 12/22.

You can install this Chrome extension Tesla VIN finder and then go to your Tesla account page (where you filled in payment/insurance info) to see if you were assigned a VIN.

A bunch of people (including me) got their VINs yesterday, some of whom (me) ordered after you did. Did you check to see if you have a VIN? If so, I think you can be confident you'll get it before the end of the year as that means they've already matched you to a car.

For me personally, I called the Tesla store I'll be picking up from after I got my VIN and they said the car should be arriving 12/22.

You can install this Chrome extension Tesla VIN finder and then go to your Tesla account page (where you filled in payment/insurance info) to see if you were assigned a VIN.

delivery on the 22nd is nice and early... AND you're far east as michigan. That's impressive. When did you order?

Do you have documentation of "2-4 weeks delivery" when you delivered it? If not. please document that immediately in an email to your SA (very politely of course).

You have several options available to you:

1) Wait and hope one is available to you in a nearby Delivery Center

2) Ask the SA to recommend a different Delivery Center within reasonable reach which has a car available (going the Freemont, Ca from NJ seems a bit excessive)

3) Let the process work out, being prepared to take delivery in January, and then insist Tesla credit you the tax credit that you lost. Assuming they wouldn't have already adjusted the prices in January to adjust for the expiry of the USA tax credit anyway.

PS: 20" performance tires (aka "summer tires") are very unwise in NJ in the winter, so if your configuration doesn't already have all-season tires, you'll immediately need a set of all-seasons with rims. I mention this because if you ordered the car with 20" performance tires, ask if one is available with 19" all season tires instead (and then buy the performance tires in the Spring).