Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM vs. RallyArmor mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First world problem; in my day (back in 2020) there were no mud flaps for the Model Y except for one source in Canada or else you made your own mud flaps or went without mud flaps.

I have the Tesla front mud flaps and in my experience they don't scrape. If the Tesla mud flaps do scrape one time in a hundred it won't matter. The RA mudflaps would probably scrape too going over the same speed bump or entering a steep driveway. You could lose a mud flap due to a road hazard and the mud flap could be easily replaced.

Contact your sales advisor and find out if Tesla is installing mud flaps on new Model Y vehicles sold in Georgia. In some states this is the case.
oh good call, I'll ask my SA next time I need to chat with them, I'll add it to my list of follow-up items.

Reactions: cancoi
Yes, in some US states (mostly northern states) and I believe in Canada too. Tesla is providing customers with the option of pre-installed Tesla front mud flaps on the Model Y if they want them. In some cases the PPF too. This is an evolving program so it is best to check with your local Sales Team, Service Team advisor.

Reactions: vikejriw
Basenor fronts will not protect against chips on the rear doors. I ran those for a while and took them off. They don’t come down low enough to stop the fling of rocks off the tires.
Really? They seem pretty low, however I've yet to find a direct photo comparison online showing the Tesla brand or Rally Armor on top of Basenor. Since I've had them on I haven't had any chips or noticed anything coming up either. You actually got chips from the front wheels with them on?

Can those with the Rally Armor mudflaps as well as the Tesla mudflaps measure the height from the ground to the very bottom of the flap? I took measurements of the Basenor ones on my MY Long Range with 19" Gemini wheels, and the front flaps are 4.25" off the ground and the rear ones are 5.5". I'm curious how much lower the Rally and Tesla ones are in comparison. Thanks!

I installed the Tesla mud flaps on my Long Range Model Y with the 19" factory wheels, tires. I measured 2-3/4 inch clearance for the driver's side and 3-1/8 inch for the passenger side. Not sure why the two sides differ by 3/8 inch but there it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: suprax
The ground clearance of the Performance Model Y with the performance suspension is supposed to be 1.1cm lower than the Long Range Model Y. This is less than 1/2 inch. Wheel size won't change the ground clearance if you stick to the factory spec tires as the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combination does not change.

I installed the Tesla mud flaps on my Long Range Model Y with the 19" factory wheels, tires. I measured 2-3/4 inch clearance for the driver's side and 3-1/8 inch for the passenger side. Not sure why the two sides differ by 3/8 inch but there it is.
wow the difference between the aftermarket basenor type and the tesla flaps is almost a 2" difference, thats pretty substantial. The biggest thing that there seems to be no full consensus, as some with the basenor mold types say it works some say it doesn't in helping prevent rock chips. But also reading about the tesla flaps some say it does and doesn't work and some say since its so low it also scrapes the ground on inclined driveways / hills, speed bumps.

Feel like there is no solid consensus on which is the better option, at least I still have a couple months to figure that out.

wow the difference between the aftermarket basenor type and the tesla flaps is almost a 2" difference, thats pretty substantial. The biggest thing that there seems to be no full consensus, as some with the basenor mold types say it works some say it doesn't in helping prevent rock chips. But also reading about the tesla flaps some say it does and doesn't work and some say since its so low it also scrapes the ground on inclined driveways / hills, speed bumps.

Feel like there is no solid consensus on which is the better option, at least I still have a couple months to figure that out.
Yeah I've had the Basenor flaps installed for about a month and have driven around 800 miles with them. I haven't found any rock chips however I suppose the only thing I have noticed is after driving during rainy weather there are small bits of "grass"/plant debris stuck to the rear doors in that area. However I'm not sure if this necessarily due to this stuff coming up _under_ the front mudflaps or rather simply stuff that's thrown up in the rain water and spray coming off the road from the front tires but _around_ the mud flaps. When you drive in rainy weather with any car the water spray flings up everywhere, covering the sides and rear of your car, so it's my belief as of now that this is from that.

With that said, I've ordered the Tesla mudflaps as I just noticed they are back in stock. I'll install them and drive for a week to see if the same 'debris'/gunk collects in the rear door area with them and if so, I'll return them and stick with the Basenors. I can update this thread with my findings if anyone is interested.

Reactions: DaveGT
Yeah I've had the Basenor flaps installed for about a month and have driven around 800 miles with them. I haven't found any rock chips however I suppose the only thing I have noticed is after driving during rainy weather there are small bits of "grass"/plant debris stuck to the rear doors in that area. However I'm not sure if this necessarily due to this stuff coming up _under_ the front mudflaps or rather simply stuff that's thrown up in the rain water and spray coming off the road from the front tires but _around_ the mud flaps. When you drive in rainy weather with any car the water spray flings up everywhere, covering the sides and rear of your car, so it's my belief as of now that this is from that.

With that said, I've ordered the Tesla mudflaps as I just noticed they are back in stock. I'll install them and drive for a week to see if the same 'debris'/gunk collects in the rear door area with them and if so, I'll return them and stick with the Basenors. I can update this thread with my findings if anyone is interested.
I'd definitely be interested for sure in what you find between the 2.

For anyone looking for a different option. I’ve had these open for a while on a tab on my phone. Really considering ordering them to replace my Tesla fronts. I kinda like the rally style look.

• Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
I went with these. No drilling and no rear bolt needs to be removed.

E1CC8476-7184-4E59-A318-D83A29BF0A88.jpeg

Those don’t protect the back quarters.
How do you know that? Tesla only sells the front flaps which tells me there isn’t too much concern for the back quarters. For me I think just having front flaps is ugly and after speaking to the owner of Tesla Shields I felt confident that these are what I was looking for.

How do you know that? Tesla only sells the front flaps which tells me there isn’t too much concern for the back quarters. For me I think just having front flaps is ugly and after speaking to the owner of Tesla Shields I felt confident that these are what I was looking for.
I apologize as I didn’t state correctly. Those front flaps do nothing to protect the rear door section that gets chipped up. I ran them right when I bought the Y and still received chips. I have PPF now so it isn’t a big deal, but the plastic ground effect will still get chips with those mud flaps.

I apologize as I didn’t state correctly. Those front flaps do nothing to protect the rear door section that gets chipped up. I ran them right when I bought the Y and still received chips. I have PPF now so it isn’t a big deal, but the plastic ground effect will still get chips with those mud flaps.
These specific flaps just came out though so you must have tried a different manufacturer with a poor quality.

These specific flaps just came out though so you must have tried a different manufacturer with a poor quality.
They are the exact same as Carwiner, Basenor, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, <random Amazon seller>... Same exact mud flaps.

After trying the three major brands:
  1. Tesla OEM
  2. Chinese Manufactured White Label (Carwiner, TeslaShields, Basenor, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, any Amazon seller)
  3. Rally Armor

I stuck with rally armor, they look the best, I think they're flexible (i.e. if I bottom out on something I don't hear an annoying scratch) and have great coverage. I don't like the price, but whatever, car looks great and has functional mud flaps. I would prefer the Rally Armor have a more matte finish.

Reactions: JDEWD250
They are the exact same as Carwiner, Basenor, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, <random Amazon seller>... Same exact mud flaps.

After trying the three major brands:
  1. Tesla OEM
  2. Chinese Manufactured White Label (Carwiner, TeslaShields, Basenor, RPMTesla, Abstract Ocean, any Amazon seller)
  3. Rally Armor

I stuck with rally armor, they look the best, I think they're flexible (i.e. if I bottom out on something I don't hear an annoying scratch) and have great coverage. I don't like the price, but whatever, car looks great and has functional mud flaps. I would prefer the Rally Armor have a more matte finish.
Here in SE WI I am more after something that can protect the body and paint as much as possible during the rough winter months. Something that isn’t as glossy and that cannot bend or scrape over every speed bump or driveway that I drive on. The ones I bought just seemed to fit those areas. Rally Armor’s to me (if I buy them) won’t only be on during the winter. They just look odd.

Here in SE WI I am more after something that can protect the body and paint as much as possible during the rough winter months. Something that isn’t as glossy and that cannot bend or scrape over every speed bump or driveway that I drive on. The ones I bought just seemed to fit those areas. Rally Armor’s to me (if I buy them) won’t only be on during the winter. They just look odd.
They protect more than previous options, wider and longer than the Chinese White Label ones, but rigid enough to maintain form without making annoying noises (like Tesla OEM's).

Reactions: 1plavs