Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offered early lease end opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@disillusioned I asked my loyalty advisor about getting a local new inventory car before the end of the month, but he wasn't too enthusiastic. It seems that Tesla thinks the entire east coast is consumed by the hurricane. I'm sure it does screw up some logistics.

The inventory car is a virtual clone to my current vehicle but with a black interior. It's $2,500 off, but at this price level it's not much of an incentive. I think it's too late for me to get a lease termination deal.

@disillusioned Keep us posted on your outcome. If it's a success, you'll be "disillusioned no more."

After speaking to my loyalty advisor I expect to take a pass on the early lease return. In his conversation with me, the only plusses he provided were that I would not have to pay the disposal fee ($375) nor any mileage overages (Right now maybe $1500). He, of course, pushed the $7500 credit and free supercharging... BUT he explained I would still have to put a deposit down as well as sales tax (Texas). On an $88k demo stickered at $108ish, I was looking at $16,000 down to have a higher lease payment than I do today... Whoever is doing the math over there needs to rethink the value of free supercharging, tax credit, and a slightly upgraded MS.

Now, if this were a situation where I handed over the keys and rolled over into a new lease with minimal upfront fees (or none) I would have been all over it. The good news is, I still love my MS so I don't feel I'm losing anything by taking a pass this time around.

After speaking to my loyalty advisor I expect to take a pass on the early lease return. In his conversation with me, the only plusses he provided were that I would not have to pay the disposal fee ($375) nor any mileage overages (Right now maybe $1500). He, of course, pushed the $7500 credit and free supercharging... BUT he explained I would still have to put a deposit down as well as sales tax (Texas). On an $88k demo stickered at $108ish, I was looking at $16,000 down to have a higher lease payment than I do today... Whoever is doing the math over there needs to rethink the value of free supercharging, tax credit, and a slightly upgraded MS.

Now, if this were a situation where I handed over the keys and rolled over into a new lease with minimal upfront fees (or none) I would have been all over it. The good news is, I still love my MS so I don't feel I'm losing anything by taking a pass this time around.

Yeah I hear you there... It'd be a far more attractive deal if I didn't have to shell out almost $10K to get into another new lease... Waving the disposal fee is nice I guess but if Tesla really wants to do this right long term then they need to wave the first months payment, signing fees, etc...

I still took the deal... So... Yeah... LOL

Now if I could just feel comfortable with the inspection situation...

Jeff

I'll insist, accurately, that they told me they'd be recapturing the car and not to worry about it over and over. The point here is that there won't be an AutoVIN inspection if Tesla buys the car back for them to remarket, which was the prescribed intent to me.

And I mean, they communicated that they pushed the lease close date as the 12th (my delivery date).

Maybe I'm just trusting too much in my ability to raise holy hell if they try to screw me on this, but I like to live dangerously.

It also helps, and please do not take this wrong way, when you have plenty of disposable cash to deal with any curveballs. :)

Jeff

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00 and Ormond
I'll insist, accurately, that they told me they'd be recapturing the car and not to worry about it over and over. The point here is that there won't be an AutoVIN inspection if Tesla buys the car back for them to remarket, which was the prescribed intent to me.

And I mean, they communicated that they pushed the lease close date as the 12th (my delivery date).

Maybe I'm just trusting too much in my ability to raise holy hell if they try to screw me on this, but I like to live dangerously.
Yeah I hear you there... It'd be a far more attractive deal if I didn't have to shell out almost $10K to get into another new lease... Waving the disposal fee is nice I guess but if Tesla really wants to do this right long term then they need to wave the first months payment, signing fees, etc...

I still took the deal... So... Yeah... LOL

Now if I could just feel comfortable with the inspection situation...

Jeff

I'm scheduled for Fremont delivery early next week, confirming my order for a P3D- Black Interior, and have a promotion related lease return, so I "have a dog in this race." I've probably been overthinking how the lease return works since US Bank insists that they own the car, and a lease buyout if way more expensive than buying the car at auction. If there is a "process" that allows Tesla to assume the lease and re-negotiate the lease end terms, they need it. I need to end any financial liability for the leased Model S70D.

In a little over a week, Tesla and I get to evaluate the delivery condition of the new P3D- and take care of release of liability for the Model S (2016 pre refresh). Tesla is supposed to reach out to me regarding the return, and it's about one week. Nothing yet. I have the Autovin inspection and I can live with it. Any further inspections and last minute charges=not enough time to repair.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01
Just to close the loop on this, I've logged into my US Bank account and been presented with:

upload_2018-9-25_13-57-9.png

So, mission accomplished, I presume!

Now I just feel like an idiot, because while I had my center console removed, I think I left the leather side panels in the car and it's been removed from the lot. :-/ Was going to sell it for a few bucks.

Reactions: Ormond
@disillusioned That worked out great! My loyalty advisor didn't mention anything about waiving inspection, damage or disposal fees. I probably would have finalized an order. Instead I scheduled a front bumper replacement which I'll have to pay my insurance deductibles. I've made my last payment.

It would be nice if there was more uniformity in Tesla policy and procedures. Now I'm a little upset. :oops:

I just had a pretty awful experience with my early lease termination so I figured I'd share.

With my P90DL lease ending in mid December, I was looking at a P3D as a replacement and was trying to make up my mind before the Model 3 supercharger referrals were set to end. Shortly before I was ready to pull the trigger I got the full court press from Tesla to consider picking up an inventory vehicle in exchange for them covering my full lease termination expense of 3 months + disposition fee. They found me a barebones S in the right color (a car which I actually preferred to the 3 after I took a P3D for a drive) so I placed my order. They suggested I contact US Bank to begin the early lease return process. I called the bank and they said they'd have AutoVIN contact me to arrange the inspection. I waited a week and didn't hear from AutoVIN.

In the meantime, my new S was at the SC within 10 days and I started getting hounded to schedule my delivery. I told Tesla I really wanted to wait for my inspection since I'd never done a lease in my life before this car. Although I'd heard over the years that other manufacturers can be fairly lenient, I didn't want to get shafted with a picky inspection. My car was in perfect shape inside and great shape outside except for one wheel with a small rash, and a small dent in one quarterpanel from a recent "ding and run" in a shopping mall parking lot. If I was going to pay through the nose for those items, I said, I'd prefer to keep the car a little longer and put in an insurance claim while I still held it. They said "Well we'll handle all that coordination for you and the inspection will be on our lot so it will save you time, and besides we will pro-rate your lease payment to the day of turn-in." I cave and set up my delivery a week sooner than planned.

So my day comes, and I arrive to the usual Tesla cluster**** zoo. The first delivery person says my car isn't ready. Maybe 45-60 min. later a new delivery guy approaches me and says he's ready to begin. He takes me outside to the front parking lot where my new Model S is parked tightly between two random cars. It's starting to rain. I protest and we head inside while a gopher brings the car into a bay that just opened up. On the way, I stop to walk him around my lease return and show him the 2 areas of damage in the spirit of full disclosure. We get inside, and I hand him both key fobs to the lease as we start my new delivery. 60-90 minutes later I'm logging in to do my final payment on the Tesla portal. As he hands me my new keys, I ask him what else I need to do with my lease return. He looks at an iPad and says it looks like your inspection is done. I ask if there's anything I need to worry about and he said no, so I drove away a happy camper as my autopilot calibrated.

Maybe 2 weeks later I come home from work and get a letter from AutoVIN saying that the inspection was actually performed a week later with $1400 in damage noted, including $350 for the two areas I pointed out, but also including a supposedly missing key fob (almost $400), a windshield that supposedly needed a total replacement (almost $600), and a "1 inch scratch" on the front bumper ($100). The letter referred me to a tesla.com email address if I had any questions or concerns, and not to US Bank or AutoVIN. I was beyond pissed and called my SC that evening. I started to explain the situation and the first thing out of the guys' mouth was "Well didn't you complete the self-inspection?" NONE of the many people I had interacted with at Tesla in the previous weeks had said anything about a self-inspection, and like I mentioned above, my delivery guy had told me the inspection was completed same-day and I didn't have anything to worry about. This new guy on the phone said something like "Yeah it involves taking pictures of the entire car and going through a checklist, etc." I had been totally bamboozled.

So words to the wise if you're doing a Tesla lease return:
1. take high-resolution pictures of the entire car on your return day, both interior and exterior
2. bring your own written agreement and make Tesla sign that they have received both key fobs from you
3. insist on being present for any official inspection that will take place at a later date
4. most importantly, don't trust anything that you're told!

I summarized all of this in an email to my loyalty advisor, but he never replied. All I have from my SC at this point is a vague mention of Tesla possibly considering reimbursing me for the fob, but again it's not in writing so I don't believe them. At this point I feel like all I can do is slam them on my Tesla delivery survey as well as the Maritz survey I just received for my Model X purchase in July. I have tried so hard to be a Tesla booster and put my money where my mouth is to the tune of $300K over the past 3 years, along with 5 official and 10+ unofficial referrals. But these ongoing failures in business processes and customer service have almost pushed me over the edge.

@BeefStu I thank you for sharing your timely story. My lease is up in November. I didn't take an early return. I have light damage to the front bumper. It's noticeable if you look carefully. I never had it fixed because I didn't want to be without my Tesla.

About 60 days ago, my service center started doing light body work. I emailed photos to Tesla and was told a painted bumper cover would be sent from the factory. The first bumper sent arrived damaged and now I won't be able to get the work performed by lease end. Tesla suggested that I just leave the car with them until the parts come in. I doubt I'll do it, especially after reading your advice. I've been ignoring AutoVin until the car is repaired.

I'm now leaning toward buying my car. My residual isn't inflated, I think, my mileage is low, and my car has been reliable. If I finance it with US Bank, I was offered $7,500 off the residual. The only downside is my older autopilot version and I prefer the latest technology. However, I can keep my Tesla or trade it when I'm ready and not be rushed.

Thanks for the advice @BeefStu !

Reactions: BeefStu
I just had a pretty awful experience with my early lease termination so I figured I'd share.

With my P90DL lease ending in mid December, I was looking at a P3D as a replacement and was trying to make up my mind before the Model 3 supercharger referrals were set to end. Shortly before I was ready to pull the trigger I got the full court press from Tesla to consider picking up an inventory vehicle in exchange for them covering my full lease termination expense of 3 months + disposition fee. They found me a barebones S in the right color (a car which I actually preferred to the 3 after I took a P3D for a drive) so I placed my order. They suggested I contact US Bank to begin the early lease return process. I called the bank and they said they'd have AutoVIN contact me to arrange the inspection. I waited a week and didn't hear from AutoVIN.

In the meantime, my new S was at the SC within 10 days and I started getting hounded to schedule my delivery. I told Tesla I really wanted to wait for my inspection since I'd never done a lease in my life before this car. Although I'd heard over the years that other manufacturers can be fairly lenient, I didn't want to get shafted with a picky inspection. My car was in perfect shape inside and great shape outside except for one wheel with a small rash, and a small dent in one quarterpanel from a recent "ding and run" in a shopping mall parking lot. If I was going to pay through the nose for those items, I said, I'd prefer to keep the car a little longer and put in an insurance claim while I still held it. They said "Well we'll handle all that coordination for you and the inspection will be on our lot so it will save you time, and besides we will pro-rate your lease payment to the day of turn-in." I cave and set up my delivery a week sooner than planned.

So my day comes, and I arrive to the usual Tesla cluster**** zoo. The first delivery person says my car isn't ready. Maybe 45-60 min. later a new delivery guy approaches me and says he's ready to begin. He takes me outside to the front parking lot where my new Model S is parked tightly between two random cars. It's starting to rain. I protest and we head inside while a gopher brings the car into a bay that just opened up. On the way, I stop to walk him around my lease return and show him the 2 areas of damage in the spirit of full disclosure. We get inside, and I hand him both key fobs to the lease as we start my new delivery. 60-90 minutes later I'm logging in to do my final payment on the Tesla portal. As he hands me my new keys, I ask him what else I need to do with my lease return. He looks at an iPad and says it looks like your inspection is done. I ask if there's anything I need to worry about and he said no, so I drove away a happy camper as my autopilot calibrated.

Maybe 2 weeks later I come home from work and get a letter from AutoVIN saying that the inspection was actually performed a week later with $1400 in damage noted, including $350 for the two areas I pointed out, but also including a supposedly missing key fob (almost $400), a windshield that supposedly needed a total replacement (almost $600), and a "1 inch scratch" on the front bumper ($100). The letter referred me to a tesla.com email address if I had any questions or concerns, and not to US Bank or AutoVIN. I was beyond pissed and called my SC that evening. I started to explain the situation and the first thing out of the guys' mouth was "Well didn't you complete the self-inspection?" NONE of the many people I had interacted with at Tesla in the previous weeks had said anything about a self-inspection, and like I mentioned above, my delivery guy had told me the inspection was completed same-day and I didn't have anything to worry about. This new guy on the phone said something like "Yeah it involves taking pictures of the entire car and going through a checklist, etc." I had been totally bamboozled.

So words to the wise if you're doing a Tesla lease return:
1. take high-resolution pictures of the entire car on your return day, both interior and exterior
2. bring your own written agreement and make Tesla sign that they have received both key fobs from you
3. insist on being present for any official inspection that will take place at a later date
4. most importantly, don't trust anything that you're told!

I summarized all of this in an email to my loyalty advisor, but he never replied. All I have from my SC at this point is a vague mention of Tesla possibly considering reimbursing me for the fob, but again it's not in writing so I don't believe them. At this point I feel like all I can do is slam them on my Tesla delivery survey as well as the Maritz survey I just received for my Model X purchase in July. I have tried so hard to be a Tesla booster and put my money where my mouth is to the tune of $300K over the past 3 years, along with 5 official and 10+ unofficial referrals. But these ongoing failures in business processes and customer service have almost pushed me over the edge.

This is EXACTLY what I'm worried about and why I hope I don't run into similar issues with my Model S that I was pushed into turning in before the inspection could be done... Tesla better pay for any charges as I was explicitly clear in writing about that... It's completely BS to force us to turn in early before we can get it inspected and then get shafted with the charges afterwords...

Thank you for posting this... I hope I'm able to come here and say I was taken care of in a few weeks... I suspect though, I won't be...

Jeff

Reactions: BeefStu and Ormond
This is EXACTLY what I'm worried about and why I hope I don't run into similar issues with my Model S that I was pushed into turning in before the inspection could be done... Tesla better pay for any charges as I was explicitly clear in writing about that... It's completely BS to force us to turn in early before we can get it inspected and then get shafted with the charges afterwords...

Thank you for posting this... I hope I'm able to come here and say I was taken care of in a few weeks... I suspect though, I won't be...

Jeff
@jeffro01 I hope you have better luck than I did. Keep us posted!

Reactions: Ormond and jeffro01
this sounds really stressful. i wouldn't want to pay US Bank for the early lease termination and wait weeks for tesla to reimburse!!

this is obviously tesla's first real crack at getting into a legitimate lease accelerator/pull ahead program (like all the other big luxury brands offer). will be interesting how it works out for them. i'm sure it'll be better on the cars that are currently leased under Tesla Lease Trust and handled "in house" vs dealing with US Bank.

we already had our inspection and are set to return the car in 3 weeks, but no one has contacted us to let us know how that is supposed to work or where we should go (or if we need to make an appointment to drop off or sign anything at the SC) ... o_O

Did anyone deal with Dylan Favazza at Tesla corporate for their early lease return? He assured me that I would receive a check from Tesla to cover the close-out bill from USBank that's due on the 28th, but I haven't received a thing.

On top of that, Dylan is now unreachable! When Dylan was coordinating the return and new order, he'd pick up almost immediately when I called (510) 602-6053. Now all I get is voicemail, and he never returns any calls. He also doesn't respond to e-mails.

I can't imagine this was some bizarre bait-and-switch since it came directly from Tesla, but I confess to being a little worried since I now have a six-month early lease return to pay off in six days!

Did anyone deal with Dylan Favazza at Tesla corporate for their early lease return? He assured me that I would receive a check from Tesla to cover the close-out bill from USBank that's due on the 28th, but I haven't received a thing.

On top of that, Dylan is now unreachable! When Dylan was coordinating the return and new order, he'd pick up almost immediately when I called (510) 602-6053. Now all I get is voicemail, and he never returns any calls. He also doesn't respond to e-mails.

I can't imagine this was some bizarre bait-and-switch since it came directly from Tesla, but I confess to being a little worried since I now have a six-month early lease return to pay off in six days!
so you have already received a final bill from US Bank ? i did a regular (not early) lease return on 9/30 and still haven't heard from US Bank. this is a really weird process. i'm not in any hurry to pay the dispo fee, but i sometimes wonder if they even realize they got the car back. my car didn't end up being repurchased by tesla and CPO'd. instead it just went to some auction block.

Have you sent them your close out bill? I know that's a stupid question but the directions I got requested that I send it to them when I get it (I haven't received it yet).

Jeff

I didn't get any instructions like that. Dylan made it sound like they'd just send me a check automatically. I guess I'll try e-mailing it to him (not that he responds to my e-mails anymore).

This is what I got:

LEASE END PROCESS

Please continue to pay any monthly payments owed to US Bank or Tesla Lease Trust. You will bring your Current Leased Vehicle to your Delivery appointment for lease return. Please make sure to bring current registration, all vehicle keys, and charging bundle (a new bundle will be provided to you).

US Bank Leases: A few weeks after your Current Leased Vehicle Return and NEW Vehicle Delivery, US Bank will bill you the remaining monthly payment(s) and disposition fee. Once received, you will send this bill (via [email protected]) back to us so we can pay US Bank directly for the two items previously mentioned.

Tesla Financing Leases: After your Current Leased Vehicle Return and NEW Vehicle Delivery, Tesla will directly end your Lease, waiving any remaining monthly payment/s and disposition fee.

All Leases: A few weeks after your Current Leased Vehicle Return and NEW Vehicle Delivery, Tesla will issue you a refund check for your pro-rated last monthly payment. Please note, you will still be responsible for any excess wear and overage miles.

Jeff