Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening SC network to other EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will be huge dollars from the infrastructure bill to help expand and improve the EV infrastructure, including charging networks. I am sure one of the provisions of receiving money will be that the charging networks be open. The end result should be much greater availability of fast charging networks to us all, and the hope that more people buy EV vehicles. Since Tesla has the biggest installed base of chargers, the short term may be a period of change, and by short term I mean a couple of years. If Tesla had more money to allocate, they would expand even faster than they have been expanding. This extra money should speed deployment.

Reactions: Hebert and house9
Not concerned at all.

The Tesla mission is to convert Transportation to electric vehicles is in line with this. The faster everybody converts the better off we all are.

I expect the other manufacturers of EVs are unhappy. If any one of them converts to allowing Tesla chargers, their market share could dramatically rise. So if they are paying attention, alway a good question here in Michigan…, they will all adopt Tesla charging as an option in their EVs at “same” time (2022?).

Tesla will get more money to expand the network, maybe even from state and federal governments.

While I could imagine several manufacturers taking them up on this in Europe, I think it's mostly an empty gesture in North America given the connector incompatibility.

No other manufacturer is going to design their cars with Tesla-style receptacles, as that makes them wholly dependent on a third party network and eliminates compatibility with every other network out there that uses CCS. Similarly, I don't see many manufacturers going out of their way to sign on with Tesla and then make some clunky Tesla to CCS adapter available for sale. Charging complexity is a big psychological barrier to EV adoption and I don't think introducing a bunch of dongles is going to go over well from a typical consumer's perspective.

If Tesla was really interested in accelerating EV adoption in general, as they claim to be, they'd abandon their connector and adopt CCS, "unwieldy" or not.

While I could imagine several manufacturers taking them up on this in Europe, I think it's mostly an empty gesture in North America given the connector incompatibility.

No other manufacturer is going to design their cars with Tesla-style receptacles, as that makes them wholly dependent on a third party network and eliminates compatibility with every other network out there that uses CCS. Similarly, I don't see many manufacturers going out of their way to sign on with Tesla and then make some clunky Tesla to CCS adapter available for sale. Charging complexity is a big psychological barrier to EV adoption and I don't think introducing a bunch of dongles is going to go over well from a typical consumer's perspective.

If Tesla was really interested in accelerating EV adoption in general, as they claim to be, they'd abandon their connector and adopt CCS, "unwieldy" or not.
Why would they? CCS is the worst piece of crap possible.

I'm not too concerned in my neck of the woods. There have always been plenty of supercharger spots open, even on holiday weekends (though admittedly I try to travel off-hours). If I lived in CA where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an EV, I'd be more concerned about increased wait times.

This could be mitigated somewhat if Tesla would release a CCS charging adapter for the US already.

Similarly, other manufacturers may just opt for a CCS to Tesla adapter.

I wonder how many vehicles have charge ports that are placed too far away for a supercharger to reach? The F150 lightning and Taycan come to mind with their ports to the rear of the front fender. The supercharger cables are not very long, so perhaps an adapter cable would be needed. That could complicate things on V3 superchargers with liquid cooled cables, likely reducing charge rates to allow for the longer cable.

Reactions: GTi_roadkill
No other manufacturer is going to design their cars with Tesla-style receptacles

Hopefully Tesla would make adapters, you would need to 'sign up' which means buying an adapter and registering your credit card and details about your car.
Then the SuperCharger experience is similar to Telsa car owners: pull up / plugin.

Absolutely concerned. While I have not had to wait at a supercharger, my neighbor has. Allowing other makes to use superchargers does promote the shift to EVs, there is the risk of Tesla EV waiting to charge while another car charges at a supercharger. Will the other cars be able to optimally charge or will they be slower than a Tesla?

As for the connector, I thought Tesla offered free (no royalty) use of their connector design back in the day. The Society of Automotive Engineers, funded by entrenched automakers, made it political and refused to let a startup design the future (guess again). Tesla was moving at startup pace, not the glacial, congressional pace of SAE, went ahead with their current efficient design. A design that works well for level 1,2 and 3 charging.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Anyone concerned with this ??!!

Not concerned but wish Tesla would produce a CCS1 to Tesla charging adapter. Then those of us who live in areas without Superchargers (yes they exist!) could still road trip with DC fast charging, even at 50KW. If "they" can charge at "our" stations, why not some reciprocity. Come on Elon, an adapter at a reasonable price, not the $$$$ that the Setec costs with firmware upgrades via Windows only. How gauche is that?

This worries me as a UK Tesla driver, the SC network in the UK is always busy to start with. Opening up the network would be totally unfair to current Tesla owners and leasers who have paid a premium for the Tesla brand and the exclusive charging they were offered when signing on the dotted line for their car. To just take that away and make them wait in line behind VW’s and Kia’s is scandalous.