Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Opens Its Patents To Boost Electric Car Adoption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MB would be smart to leverage the fact that they saved Tesla financially- although they no longer have any legal claim to first right of refusal I don't believe -to any sort of stronger partnership. However, it will be their loss if they do not capitalize on this.

(Toyota has proven itself to be living in the dark ages witness fool cell squandering. How is it at a company that set the example for innovation in industrial productivity has become so stagnant?)

How could BMW be the only one talking with them right now very intensively? Agree on opportunity for some other independent company. What an amazing time!

Surely this will mark the point in history when the economic/industrial floodgates open to better innovation for sustainable transportation.

How could BMW be the only one talking with them right now very intensively?
I can't tell if your comment is rhetorical, but do remember that lack of evidence isn't evidence of lack: that we haven't heard of others meeting with TMC doesn't mean it hasn't happened; also, remember: this news is all of what - four days ago?!!!! Google (again), GE, Siemens, perhaps a Korean chaebol - Daewoo, eg., or a deep=-pocketed Japanese like C.Itoh or Mitsui; ABB, UK's General Electric Co (that's a different firm)...maybe I should even open up Denali Highway Development Authority to TMC ;)

I can't tell if your comment is rhetorical, but do remember that lack of evidence isn't evidence of lack: that we haven't heard of others meeting with TMC doesn't mean it hasn't happened; also, remember: this news is all of what - four days ago?!!!! Google (again), GE, Siemens, perhaps a Korean chaebol - Daewoo, eg., or a deep=-pocketed Japanese like C.Itoh or Mitsui; ABB, UK's General Electric Co (that's a different firm)...maybe I should even open up Denali Highway Development Authority to TMC ;)
Sorry for being too vague yes it was rhetorical question! I am sure that they have been having discussions and it just happens to be the BMW that was mentioned so far.

(Toyota has proven itself to be living in the dark ages witness fool cell squandering. How is it at a company that set the example for innovation in industrial productivity has become so stagnant?)

They have a business model that electric cars threaten. They will do anything to stem the tide of electric cars. I don't think they will be successful in the long run.

They have a business model that electric cars threaten. They will do anything to stem the tide of electric cars. I don't think they will be successful in the long run.

I wouldn't go that far. Right now Toyota is spreading their investments out to see what wil catch. Elon also said they wanted a higher volume deal but Tesla couldn't support it by the numbers. Also, Toyota owns part of Tesla as does Daimler

I wouldn't go that far. Right now Toyota is spreading their investments out to see what wil catch. Elon also said they wanted a higher volume deal but Tesla couldn't support it by the numbers. Also, Toyota owns part of Tesla as does Daimler

Given that Toyota has joined GM, Chrysler, and Ford in every lobby to kill the electric car incentive under CARB and has stopped production of electric cars as soon as possible after they were forced to produce them, I'm not sure Toyota's higher volume deal was made in good faith. (e.g. They knew that Tesla couldn't supply a large quantity so they made the offer just so they would look good if/when it ever came out.)

It may not have been a bad faith offer. Many manufacturers are reluctant to mass produce vehicles unless they have sufficient IP and don't need to negotiate potentially profit killing supply contracts. IMO, having nearly half of all hybrid patents is why Toyota has led in hybrid sales, and also why other manufacturers have been unable to keep up.

Toyota may seriously be interested in a higher volume deal if Tesla can supply it, especially if they can use some of Tesla's IP at little/no cost. Otoh, I doubt they would willingly invest in a lower volume deal because they would be SOL is their supply ran out and they couldn't secure additional resources.

Edit- In terms of the topic, I think it's a very smart move. Sooner or later other companies with catch up with Tesla in terms of batteries, and other patents, but if they and Panasonic can grow their battery business there's a lot of money to be made. Hell, with PV panel prices where they are, if they can get battery storage systems down to ~$100-$150/kWh, the grid would have legitimate competition.

Last edited:
Interesting article, but I feel it is missing the point: I'm not sure if established car makers are the key target for this move ("helping Ford making better batteries"). The established car makers didn't react to Tesla eating their lunch in the luxury segment and lack of will can't be compensated by open patents.

I see the university crew, that wants to start-up a new battery venture, the independent company that wants to create replacement battery packs for Roadsters and of course the Samsungs, Panasonics, Tatas etc. of this world as the ones that could jump on this: The ICE problem is bigger than just GM, Toyota and VW: it is the whole ICE infrastructure. And if by giving up patents, you allow the infrastructure to enter into the market.

I think we will quickly see that Tesla will not fight the dealership fight alone any longer: If you have SME be part of the industry, the currently lopsided distribution of state-level voices in support for / against electric cars will be rectified soon.

Very much my thought as well. The legacy automakers have no core expertise or interest in batteries, which is the core enabling technology for EV's. In contrast, I could totally see major battery manufacturers signing on to this because Tesla just dramatically lowered the barriers to entry for them.

Another strong possibility would be major U.S. companies like Apple or Google, who might not like the idea of acquiring Tesla for ~$25b, but might like the idea of building a competitive $35k car using Tesla's GenIII tech off the shelf.

Ford Opens Portfolio of Patented Technologies to Competitors to Accelerate Industry-Wide Electrified Vehicle Development - Yahoo Finance

• Ford is opening its portfolio of electrified vehicle technology patents to competitive automakers to accelerate industry-wide research and development of electrified vehicles
  • In 2014, Ford filed for 400-plus electrified vehicle patents – more than 20 percent of the total patents the company applied for last year
  • Ford is set to hire an additional 200 electrified vehicle engineers this year as the team moves into a newly dedicated facility – Ford Engineering Laboratories – home to Henry Ford’s first laboratories