Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla out of wall connectors - Alternatives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just use the UMC that comes with the car. I guess it depends on if you have a decent outlet in the garage, and how far you'll be driving per day.

I also have a slightly used 8.5' Gen3 HPWC ready to ship, if that'll be long enough for you. Tested at 48 amps for >3 hours continuously without overheating.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
someone on our local craigslist has one NIB, but he wants $550 for it. Seems a little rich to me as even though that's the price of a new one with tax, he'll get the 30% tax credit, and the warranty may or may not transfer. Personally I'd rather wait for a 'real' one from Tesla. I clicked on the button that said "email me when they're back in stock" and got an email within the week

someone on our local craigslist has one NIB, but he wants $550 for it. Seems a little rich to me as even though that's the price of a new one with tax, he'll get the 30% tax credit, and the warranty may or may not transfer. Personally I'd rather wait for a 'real' one from Tesla. I clicked on the button that said "email me when they're back in stock" and got an email within the week
Umm... he wouldn't get the 30% tax credit, you would...

Reactions: X-pilot
that's open for debate ... depending on the definition of the word "use"

The instructions for form 8911 say:

• To recharge an electric vehicle, but only if the recharging property is located at the point where the vehicle is recharged. In addition, the following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
  • You placed the refueling property in service during your tax year.
  • The original use of the property began with you.
  • The property isn’t used predominantly outside the United States.
  • If the property isn’t business/investment use property, the property must be installed on property used as your main home.

However line 1 on the actual form does say:

Total cost of qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service during the tax year

So it would appear that buying from the manufacturer is not a requirement, so long as it hasn't yet been placed in service, in which case you are correct

In any event the point was if the Tesla shop is out of stock, it *might* be worth scouring the local craigslist etc sites

First question - can you have the wiring in place in time? I got my MY much earlier than expected and didn’t have time to get a charger in place so I made due with a jury-rigged 20A-240V circuit until could get the charger and the wiring for it installed. Not as convenient but it worked.

Options I can think of:
  • Periodically check the web site
  • Look on ebay
  • Check with a tesla-authorized electrician - they sometimes get their own supply of wall chargers from Tesla
  • Have a NEMA 30/40/50 Amp outlet installed and use the cord that comes with your car
  • Use your local supercharger or other charging station until you can get A wall cahrger
  • use a non-Tesla charger. I have a clipper creek that I got though our electric co op as part of their off-peak discounted charging program. It Doesn’t have the tesla handle with the button on it but it works fine otherwise and I get a 50% discount on my charging with it.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and jcanoe
I'd echo what others stated about timing. Your power company may offer a rebate on L&I permit and licensed contractor work.
The connector at the house is handy but I found I even turned mine down to 20A (20mi per hour) since I didn't need max charge(48A). It is handy to have the option case I needed a quick turn around or unplanned trip and needed 41-44mi per hour.

Household outlet at 4mi per hour would be rough if you don't have a NEMA and I noticed the adaptor kit is also sold out.

You can go to The Home Depot and buy plugs and outlets. You can buy a 6-50 plug and a 14-50 outlet, for instance, and by connecting them with 3 feet of 6-3 w/ ground you have a handy adapter. Do this for any weird 220 volt outlet you encounter, such as at far flung relatives' homes, and feel free to drop in unannounced, just as other relatives do! I have made several, and have found what the frunk is for: Cable storage.

On top of this, buy a few 50 amp circuit breakers in common brands so you can pull an unused 50 amp circuit breaker from your inlaw's house, like their pool heater, and plug yours in, previously wired with your 14-50 outlet on the other end of 3 feet of 6-3 w. ground. They will be happy to know you can charge all night for only a fourth of what a full tank of gas would have cost them, around $10 - 15.

Only drawback is that they will suddenly be leaving just as you drive up, on a long weekend to Aunt Ida's place two states over.