Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been listed in Plugshare for the past 2 years, there is an outdoor 14-50 as well as 20A 120V GFCI outlets (setup in an RV Camp style box outside the garage), inside I have 2 more 14-50s and a 75A J-1772 OpenEVSE that I use (basically the same as the HPWC, I even bought a 2nd Model S J-1772 adapter that's normally on it)

I'm South of Boston, put in zipcode 02368 and you'll find me :)

Here in FL Larry has organized a state network as not everyone likes to publicize their address/phone#; it's kept in our community group section so that we can access it online but it's not visible to everyone else. I encourage at least other regional groups to do the same.

Thanks Nigel,

For permanent or part-time Florida residents with Teslas who would like to join our charging network, you can join our club and sign up for the network. As Nigel mentioned the contact information is keep in a secure TMC group that is only accessable by our club members.

If you are interested just send an email directly to me at [email protected] with your full name, your TMC screen name, and the city in which you reside. I'll send you some club materials and a survey to collect detailed contact information.

Larry

The trouble with a Tesla-only network is that you miss part of the benefits of a network. I had a great experience charging in the garage of a Volt owner (found using PlugShare), albeit only at 6.6kW. That was far better than zero, and it gave me the chance to show the Model S to the Volt owner.

The trouble with a Tesla-only network is that you miss part of the benefits of a network. I had a great experience charging in the garage of a Volt owner (found using PlugShare), albeit only at 6.6kW. That was far better than zero, and it gave me the chance to show the Model S to the Volt owner.
Hi Robert,

At the risk of stating the obvious, many folks are reluctant to open their homes to complete strangers, or even visit complete strangers. I think PlugShare is a great initiative, but its not for everyone. We have over 100 club members throughout Florida and so far a quarter of them have joined our charging network. As more club members receive their cars I expect many more participants essentially covering the state. For every participant I know who they are and of course where they live. I also know that their charging source is going to be adequate for charging Teslas relatively quickly when compared to other sources.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Nigel,

For permanent or part-time Florida residents with Teslas who would like to join our charging network, you can join our club and sign up for the network. As Nigel mentioned the contact information is keep in a secure TMC group that is only accessable by our club members.

If you are interested just send an email directly to me at [email protected] with your full name, your TMC screen name, and the city in which you reside. I'll send you some club materials and a survey to collect detailed contact information.

Larry

Let me add my two cents here :). Larry, it's great that you have built a network of Florida members. You're right, you'll know each person. But it's going to be rare that a Florida Tesla owner needs a charge from another Florida owner - it's when we are all on road trips that we need charges, not in our home state. (Obviously there are some road trips within state that require charging away from home, but you get my point.)

I'm part of the Tesla community, but more importantly, I'm part of the EV community. Every additional Leaf, Volt, whatever that is sold because I've helped with the infrastructure, is another user who may help get more infrastructure installed. And that helps us all.

My mantra: It's not a competition, it's a team sport. This is what the Theory of Abundance is about.
---
That said, if people aren't comfortable sharing at home, then they shouldn't. I just don't see the difference between a Tesla owner and a Leaf owner when I'm offering my NEMA 14-50 up to the EV community. I might have felt differently two years ago when I first got my Roadster. But after all the folks I've met through the local EV community, I'm comfortable with this position now.

Let me add my two cents here :). Larry, it's great that you have built a network of Florida members. You're right, you'll know each person. But it's going to be rare that a Florida Tesla owner needs a charge from another Florida owner - it's when we are all on road trips that we need charges, not in our home state. (Obviously there are some road trips within state that require charging away from home, but you get my point.)

I'm part of the Tesla community, but more importantly, I'm part of the EV community. Every additional Leaf, Volt, whatever that is sold because I've helped with the infrastructure, is another user who may help get more infrastructure installed. And that helps us all.

My mantra: It's not a competition, it's a team sport. This is what the Theory of Abundance is about.
---
That said, if people aren't comfortable sharing at home, then they shouldn't. I just don't see the difference between a Tesla owner and a Leaf owner when I'm offering my NEMA 14-50 up to the EV community. I might have felt differently two years ago when I first got my Roadster. But after all the folks I've met through the local EV community, I'm comfortable with this position now.

Hi Bonnie,

My posting wasn't intended to suggest that we are in competition with PlugShare. We have members in our network that are also PlugShare members. I was simply pointing out that not everyone is comfortable with sharing their homes with strangers or visiting strangers, and for those folks in Florida our network has some benefits.

Perhaps when Florida has Supercharger we may not need such a club-based network, but I disagree that at the present time "it's going to be rare that a Florida Tesla owner needs a charge from another Florida owner."

Larry

Last edited:
As Bonnie says; whatever you're comfortable with. I think I can allay some of my paranoia by screening. Haven't come up with the standards yet.I'm guessing as a start I would be very comfortable with a PM on TMC from someone I've seen around for a while, or others that I know from TMC verify. Going forward I may become more comfortable and adjust the standards to include others.

As Bonnie says; whatever you're comfortable with. I think I can allay some of my paranoia by screening. Haven't come up with the standards yet.I'm guessing as a start I would be very comfortable with a PM on TMC from someone I've seen around for a while, or others that I know from TMC verify. Going forward I may become more comfortable and adjust the standards to include others.

I'd suggest that if a person owns a Tesla, they are at a minimum reasonable--from a socioeconomic standpoint anyway. This might not be true several years down the road when there are used Teslas and just about anyone from a high school student up can afford one.