Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners' Everyday Navigation Use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wondering about the way current owners tend to use their navigation app for everyday driving. I'm still waiting for my Y, due next month or September and I am curious how my first Tesla might change my habits in that sense.

For example, I currently never use navigation to get to familiar spots; I only do so for road trips.

Reactions: Jane4
I've been wondering about the way current owners tend to use their navigation app for everyday driving. I'm still waiting for my Y, due next month or September and I am curious how my first Tesla might change my habits in that sense.

For example, I currently never use navigation to get to familiar spots; I only do so for road trips.
Same here. No reason to, really, unless it's to a regular location of such a distance that you might need to recharge. But around town? No.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Typically if I'm using google maps, I'll have it on even for daily commutes to familiar places, just because sometimes there is an accident or road closure that could be causing a bad traffic jam. Google maps will show your ETA in red which will alert me I need to take a different route OR it will automatically ask me if I want to take a faster route. I don't think the Tesla navigation will do that. I think it just takes traffic into account on the initial route planning. I'm so used to doing it with google maps that it just becomes habit in the Tesla.

I must be the non standard type guy. I use Tesla navigation for most every trip even when I know the route. Granted I use FSD beta on every drive. I like to know Exactly when I will arrive and the traffic monitor has saved me Many times by routing me in a more efficient route. Simply hold the wheel on the steering wheel and name the destination and done.

I must be the non standard type guy. I use Tesla navigation for most every trip even when I know the route. Granted I use FSD beta on every drive. I like to know Exactly when I will arrive and the traffic monitor has saved me Many times by routing me in a more efficient route. Simply hold the wheel on the steering wheel and name the destination and done.
We are in the same camp :), but sure, for many folks, probably no real advantage to using navigation locally.

I tend to use the GPS navigation everywhere, even to places I am really familiar with. Because:
  1. it's right there in front of me
  2. it's so easy to pick frequently used destinations
  3. navigating to a destination also lets me see the "trip chart" in the Energy App. I use that as a game and see if I can drive more efficiently than Tesla's prediction for the trip. Silly, I know!

I started using FSD this month. I find I’m setting it and letting it do more each time I use it.
Had to get use to engaging the full blinker for a lane change and its done decent getting off the freeway. Little things here and there like sometimes drifting with merge lanes or sometimes getting into a turn lane. But it took the edge off road trips. Stop and go traffic its also decent. Have gotten a few aggressive accelerations but it seems to be based on the guy in front of me most the time hah.

I did have a few cases where I wish I could pick preferred superchargers on a road trip. Might actually want to stop for coffee here or there so the planned trip doesn’t always line up with what I’d like it to do, so I have to work around it.

Reactions: X-pilot

I navigate almost everywhere thats more than a mile or two from my house. Easiest way to have traffic information taken into account. My work commute is roughly 35 miles each way (70 Mile round trip) and there are multiple ways I can both go to work and come home, so yes, I navigate to work and home, every day.

For full disclosure, I used my previous cars navigation systems like this as well (BMWs) so this is not a "Tesla" thing.

One thing about the tesla navigation, at least for me, vs the BMWs anyway, is that it is just as easy for me to get into the car and say "navigate to the nearest best buy" or "navigate to (insert name of restaurant)" etc, and it almost always works properly.

The BMWs didnt do that voice command as well.

Living in a major city the traffic info is critical. You can’t always take the same highway for your daily commute. Something could be backed up adding 30mins to your trip.

Quick swipe down on the search bar automatically navigates you to either Home/Work via the best current route. I do it every commute to be safe.

Side note: frustratingly, my navigation volume always seems to default to mute for some reason. Anyone else having this same issue and missing turns when navigating to new places?

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Living in a major city the traffic info is critical. You can’t always take the same highway for your daily commute. Something could be backed up adding 30mins to your trip.

Quick swipe down on the search bar automatically navigates you to either Home/Work via the best current route. I do it every commute to be safe.

Side note: frustratingly, my navigation volume always seems to default to mute for some reason. Anyone else having this same issue and missing turns when navigating to new places?
Mine also defaults to mute…no idea how to fix this.

The only problem with that , particularly in the crowded UK, is that you won’t get a “advance warning“ of traffic jams.

We typically use navigation around town so that we can avoid traffic and have a good estimate of how long it will take to arrive.

I also ride with my mom in her Model 3 every month or two. She uses navigation to get around parts of the metro area that she doesn't know but for some reason, as soon as she's back on a familiar street, she will cancel navigation. I asked her why she cancels it since it was muted but she couldn't give a reason. 🤷‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin