Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delivery Day Calgary

I picked up the driver and drove him around the neighborhood so he could see if he could navigate around the parked cars before committing. Certainly the biggest truck I've seen on our street.

IMG_8848.JPG

There was another car behind mine that the driver could not start so we had to push it off the truck before we could unload mine.
IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8898.JPG

Summer tires were in the back.
IMG_8905.JPG

I'd write more but I'm exhausted and feel like I should be waxing it already. :biggrin:

Has anyone else noticed issues with Red Deer Supercharger stall 2A, whereby it refuses to release so you can pull the cable out of the car? ....

Thanks for the heads up. Hope they get it fixed soon and let someone know

And on another topic... while heading to Canmore, we charged at Red Deer and stopped charging as soon as it said we were good. The car initially reported about an 8% buffer. About 20 minutes into the drive, it dropped to 4%. In the end, we made it to Canmore with 6km/1% remaining. I have been wanting to 'push' the car regarding range... 6km... I think that's as close as I care to push LOL.

Sounds like TESLA app needs some tweaking to allow for lower temps and other conditions
I like to use these guidelines for longer trips. A good resource / reminder, not necessarily for newcomers as it starts out saying.
Putting-some-numbers-on-the-factors-that-affect-range

Congrats on the delivery, Lon12!

I swear that is the very same truck that delivered my Roadster back in 2010. Either that or the company has a bunch of identical clones.

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

The thing is HUGE - also the biggest truck ever on our street! When it rumbled up the entire street came out to see what was going on.

Nice sleuthing. But you can tell from the picture that they're not all the same model of cab, even if the paint color is the same. It's at least possible that it's the same truck anyway.

The huge truck rumbling down our little street resulted in an instant street party...

IMG_2482.JPG

Thanks for inspiring a little trip down memory lane...

I picked up the driver and drove him around the neighborhood so he could see if he could navigate around the parked cars before committing. Certainly the biggest truck I've seen on our street.

There was another car behind mine that the driver could not start so we had to push it off the truck before we could unload mine.

I'd write more but I'm exhausted and feel like I should be waxing it already. :biggrin:

Wow! Great photos and write-up! Great to see another Tesla in the City. I've been running in to a lot of new owners and seeing more cars in the City lately which is great. I like the silver!

I spoke to the owner of a wine-shop in Eau Claire who is buying one next year - perhaps we can do a meet this winter that would involve a wine tasting?

Well it's our last day in Disneyland and time for us to head back to Calgary. I made a not so short video that just finished uploading over hotel wifi. I had to reduce the resolution to be able to upload it all in 24 hours before we head back today. The Model S is an amazing car. I still can't believe we made it all the way here in an electric car! The future is here, and it's only the beginning.

We drove 3090 Kilometers, stopped at 16 superchargers along the way, and got to know auto steer and cruise control intimately. One thing (it's in the video) I noticed is the car will slow itself down in turns where it believes the speed is excessive do negotiate the turn safely. It's exactly what I would do when driving, I've never seen cruise control do this on any other vehicle!

While at Disneyland we parked in their parking lot which had about 20 stalls for EV's, and they were typically full. Chargers are in place too so that when you get back to your vehicle from a day in the park it's fully charged! If you are feeling up to it you can watch the adventure here: tesla003 - calgary2anaheim - YouTube

I'll do another one for the return trip.

Well it's our last day in Disneyland and time for us to head back to Calgary. I made a not so short video that just finished uploading over hotel wifi. I had to reduce the resolution to be able to upload it all in 24 hours before we head back today. The Model S is an amazing car. I still can't believe we made it all the way here in an electric car! The future is here, and it's only the beginning.

We drove 3090 Kilometers, stopped at 16 superchargers along the way, and got to know auto steer and cruise control intimately. One thing (it's in the video) I noticed is the car will slow itself down in turns where it believes the speed is excessive do negotiate the turn safely. It's exactly what I would do when driving, I've never seen cruise control do this on any other vehicle!

While at Disneyland we parked in their parking lot which had about 20 stalls for EV's, and they were typically full. Chargers are in place too so that when you get back to your vehicle from a day in the park it's fully charged! If you are feeling up to it you can watch the adventure here: tesla003 - calgary2anaheim - YouTube

Awesome! always enjoy your enthusiastic posts and videos. I think the slowing down on curves is a new enhancement since the original 7.0 version, i.e. after .56. I haven't noticed it yet but that is the beauty of a long road trip. I got to know the original TACC on a trip to Vancouver.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the delivery, Lon12!

I swear that is the very same truck that delivered my Roadster back in 2010. Either that or the company has a bunch of identical clones.

The thing is HUGE - also the biggest truck ever on our street! When it rumbled up the entire street came out to see what was going on.
Cool to relive your original delivery - that is a sweet looking roadster. I believe you still have it right?

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! All these pics remind me of my deliveries and the excitement as the truck drives up the road.

- - - Updated - - -

In case anyone hasn't seen this:
Teslas self-driving car hits the streets of Calgary | Watch News Videos Online

Holy smokes! 1 hr 20 min! That's a long video... sounds like it's been a great trip. You'll be coming home to cooler temps and unpredictable weather... hopefully you have all-season tires? Thank you for sharing your experience - interesting that the EV spots (20) were typically full. Shows how the adoption of EVs is growing rapidly and we may not have our "privilege" of parking in premium spots for much longer at this pace. That said, the range of EVs is also growing just as fast so the need for destination charging will also become less necessary in the future.

m1kr that was amazing video of your trip! I can't imagine how much time you spent making it while you were on vacation, but thanks for doing it. My family was suddenly asking if we could do the same drive sometime. I can't wait.
It was great to see how far you could go with a full load, the extra drag of the roof rack and wet roads.
P.S. I know someone that works at McSweeney's if you need a good deal on Beef Jerky. :wink:

We are on the journey home, and I'll have a video of that too. Shows off some of the chargers in the day time. It's been an incredible trip. I thought I'd be a lot more tired but it seems it's less tiring. And even our kids aren't complaining like they used to in the van. They are 13, 11, 9, and 7. I think the regular stops with the time to stretch out makes more of a difference than we thought.

The Harris Ranch supercharger is 2 mins walk from an active airfield and the kids got to see a small plane take off from up close. Next time I would plan in more time to pit stop more often. We drove by six flags and didn't stop, and there are a few other places that would have been fun. It's been incredible though, and for us a bonus trip to Disneyland.

We are on the journey home, and I'll have a video of that too. Shows off some of the chargers in the day time. It's been an incredible trip. I thought I'd be a lot more tired but it seems it's less tiring. And even our kids aren't complaining like they used to in the van. They are 13, 11, 9, and 7. I think the regular stops with the time to stretch out makes more of a difference than we thought.

The Harris Ranch supercharger is 2 mins walk from an active airfield and the kids got to see a small plane take off from up close. Next time I would plan in more time to pit stop more often. We drove by six flags and didn't stop, and there are a few other places that would have been fun. It's been incredible though, and for us a bonus trip to Disneyland.

OK, I watched most of the video (skipped through some parts) and you guys saw Harrison Ford?!!! That is pretty cool!

Call ll me a sucker, I watched the whole thing. I thought it was very well done. What is brand of dash cam do you use? I would like to know if you edited while traveling! I am curious to know how you managed to film all day on one memory stick. I assume you downloaded the data on the laptop your wife was using at the supercharger.

Here is a little write up in the Edmonton Journal about an event held yesterday (ECEF). My dislike/distrust of the media grows lol. The reporter was scribbling details wildly... I thought my writing was bad, but hers was worse. Thus, it is no surprise that she got so many details wrong. For the public at large, its still good press for Tesla/EVs, but... a little accuracy would be nice (100 vs 1000 cars in calgary, 460km was the range of Tesla's most efficient model <not mine>, the car's can't store energy for the grid <while I wasn't part of that discussion, it was likely the powerwall being discussed and the reporter didn't realize Tesla makes more than cars>, and most importantly, it wasn't my twin brother Andre at the event LOL).

All that said, it was great to discuss Tesla's with our Mayor. He was considering getting an entry level one, he had looked into it about a year ago (before currency issues raised the price), and upon hearing the price increase, he said in retrospect, he should have bought it then. Got to show him around the car a bit... it was an indoor event, so no chance to give him an Insane launch experience unfortunately.