Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining the club... P85+D on order for January 2015 delivery! First time I've been excited about a car in a long time. 2 used BMWs hitting the market this January... :)
Welcome. Have you talked to any of us owners at car shows or events?
im wondering if we might see a bunch of Calgary drivers now!
I have always been assuming a number of cars less than 20 in Calgary but I was told by sales in Vancouver that it's more like 50.
That surprises me as I only ever seem to see the same few cars around town. I guess it is a big city though.

That does seem like a lot for Calgary but I'm not surprised. With 50+ cars we should get a service centre but maybe that includes Edmonton?

I've confirmed my order - Black P85D with light grey interior and all options but rear seats. I drive the inner city a lot so will waive if I see anyone else. :)

thank you you for the welcome messages! January delivery on 21" winter tires - can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I have never driven a Tesla!

That does seem like a lot for Calgary but I'm not surprised. With 50+ cars we should get a service centre but maybe that includes Edmonton?

I've confirmed my order - Black P85D with light grey interior and all options but rear seats. I drive the inner city a lot so will waive if I see anyone else. :)

thank you you for the welcome messages! January delivery on 21" winter tires - can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I have never driven a Tesla!

Congrats and welcome, i live in sunnyside so am bound to see that beauty of yours around soon :)

We will be getting our new Model S in FEB. So one more EV for Calgary. We have a Leaf, and are looking forward to the tesla. I just created my ID today, but have been following the threads here for a few months now.
Welcome to you too!
Any of you new guys got sold by AC1K showing off his car?

I'm soon going to be without my car for a couple of weeks before the new ones comes in (hopefully mid December). Will be excruciating.

I haven't seen AC1K's car yet, but have been following Tesla since the beginning. I did drive a friend of a friend's orange roadster about a year ago. He lives just South of Calgary, and while I was used to quick acceleration from our Leaf, the roadster was already on insane mode.

We ordered a S85D, Blue Metallic, Dual Charger, rear seats. Just spoke with Tesla to confirm everything yesterday. Now the hardest part, waiting while its confirmed.

Tesla passed on the name of an electrician for us to use. I've asked Tesla to send me our HWPC, so we can get it installed and ready to go. Then we can admire that for a few months to keep us entertained. Checked our electric panel and I'm 99% sure we have 200A service. If all goes according to plan we will be able to charge at 96KM/hr and light up both chargers in the car.

Questions for existing owners:
- Do you run winter tires (I never have, even though I've lived in Calgary all my life)?
- Did you get the all season floor/trunk mats AMD would you recommend them?
- Did you order additional charge adapters for the portable mobile connector bundle and which do you make the most use of?

Thanks.

Tesla passed on the name of an electrician for us to use. I've asked Tesla to send me our HWPC, so we can get it installed and ready to go. Then we can admire that for a few months to keep us entertained. Checked our electric panel and I'm 99% sure we have 200A service. If all goes according to plan we will be able to charge at 96KM/hr and light up both chargers in the car.

Questions for existing owners:
- Do you run winter tires (I never have, even though I've lived in Calgary all my life)?
- Did you get the all season floor/trunk mats AMD would you recommend them?
- Did you order additional charge adapters for the portable mobile connector bundle and which do you make the most use of?

Thanks.
i was surprised to find out that 200amp service is fairly rare here. I have 150 amp and my electrician seemed to think that was unusual. Any way so far 150amp is enough. I have started using winter tires over the last few years. As my first p85+ was RWD only I was worried about traction and I made sure I had winters for it. I'm still going to put winters on the p85D. Anything to keep the fender benders away.
I haven't ordered any additional chargers yet. Out of curiosity, who did tesla refer you to?

i was surprised to find out that 200amp service is fairly rare here. I have 150 amp and my electrician seemed to think that was unusual. Any way so far 150amp is enough. I have started using winter tires over the last few years. As my first p85+ was RWD only I was worried about traction and I made sure I had winters for it. I'm still going to put winters on the p85D. Anything to keep the fender benders away.
I haven't ordered any additional chargers yet. Out of curiosity, who did tesla refer you to?

My place is only 100 amp, it did not even occur to me that that may not be sufficient enough for the nema 14-50, hmmmm... Am originally from ontario, everything is 200 amp there, assume due to all the a/c.. As fyi i am topping up with a skyfire approx. 5kw install, thanks fir the heads up, will do some research

In Calgary pretty much anything built before about the late 80s, or even in to the 90s, is 100A, and even some new places built today haven't gone the 200A route. In fact houses built in the 50s or earlier may only be 50A.
That said, 100A is plenty for a nema 14-50, with the caveat that it depends what else you have running. In my house it would be no problem, but I don't have some of the usual power hogs (no A/C, gas range instead of electric, gas furnace (with high efficiency motor), gas water heating) If you have A/C, and a hot-tub, and all sorts of other power hungry stuff, you may find that adding another power hungry appliance (Tesla) is a problem, especially if you don't manage the charging to be off of your normal peak usage. (If your A/C, Hot-tub, dishwasher, clothes dryer, and oven are all on at once... adding a Tesla to the mix could be trouble)

Green thanks for the feedback! No a/c or clothes dryer and cooktop and water heater is gas so may be all good :) as fyi when the solar guy came for an estimate i think he said 7200 kwh is the yearly average for a calgary home, our chart shows i use half that with family of 4

However the tesla will bring that number WAY up......

I'm really looking forward to seeing the charge rate form an 80A HPWC feeding dual chargers. We have a leaf, and the L2 240v/30A charger feeding its 3.3KW charger is our current reference point. To be able to get 90KM fed into the Tesla in an hour charging at home will literally change everything!

Making a trip to EDM in the Tesla will also be a whole new level of gas savings. Currently making that trip in our Dodge Caravan, and looking forward to significantly lowering our gas bill. We moved about 25000KM's from gas to electric with the Leaf, we should be able to move an additional 25000-30000 to the Tesla per year, possibly a lot more!

- - - Updated - - -

Green thanks for the feedback! No a/c or clothes dryer and cooktop and water heater is gas so may be all good :) as fyi when the solar guy came for an estimate i think he said 7200 kwh is the yearly average for a calgary home, our chart shows i use half that with family of 4

However the tesla will bring that number WAY up......

Who did you have do your solar eval. This is in our plans for the next 5 hrs as well.

My Ottawa home was built in 2004 and had 100A - much to my consternation. I had it upgraded - a pretty expensive proposition.
I asked for a quote to upgrade my service. I never got a real quote but they told me vaguely that in a previous quote where they had to run a new line across two driveways it cost 50,000 and I am apparently 4 driveways away. Not sure if this implies 100,000 but clearly I could put in an entire solar supply for that kind of money. I tried to follow up but they would only seem to talk to my electrician for some reason. Anyway I founf that I could get up to 100 amps if I turned everything on at the same time including ovens and cooktop, AC, etc. but this is near zero probability of occurrence particularly at 4 AM when I usually charge. I also tend to dial it own unless I have a situation where I need a speedy charge. In those cases I probably need to make sure there isn't a bunch of other high draw activity. I did discover by accident that an overload doesn't immediately blow the breaker so short periods of excessive draw might not be an issue anyway. (My electrician originally put in a 50 amp breaker unbeknownst to me and I chrged at 80 amps for a period before the breaker eventually tripped.)

Uh, that's more than an order of magnitude more expensive than upgrading my service! They just had to change the feed to the panel from the meter, and replace the panel. Then there's a charge of more than $1000 to get Hydro Ottawa to disconnect the meter and connect it again.

Uh, that's more than an order of magnitude more expensive than upgrading my service! They just had to change the feed to the panel from the meter, and replace the panel. Then there's a charge of more than $1000 to get Hydro Ottawa to disconnect the meter and connect it again.
Yeah they claimed they needed to increase the line to the meter from the transformer. Still it's a ludicrous amount of money. If memory serves, if I wanted a proper quote they wanted to charge me. They seemed strangely disinterested in helping me to consume more electricity.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the charge rate form an 80A HPWC feeding dual chargers. We have a leaf, and the L2 240v/30A charger feeding its 3.3KW charger is our current reference point. To be able to get 90KM fed into the Tesla in an hour charging at home will literally change everything!

Who did you have do your solar eval. This is in our plans for the next 5 hrs as well.

We are having SkyFire Energy - Calgary, Edmonton & Western Canada Solar Power Systems and Solar Panels do our install, seems like a decent company exploding with business :)